Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

I’m flying LHR to SFO to BUR first leg is Polaris Business but second leg is Y class because there is no first/business on the AC
- can I access the Polaris lounge in SFO during my layover?
Old May 12, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by burbankflyer
I’m flying LHR to SFO to BUR first leg is Polaris Business but second leg is Y class because there is no first/business on the AC
- can I access the Polaris lounge in SFO during my layover?
Welcome to Flyertalk and especially to the United threads!

Yes, since you are flying LHR to SFO in Polaris Business, you do have access to the Polaris Lounge in SFO. Enjoy it!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
If I’m booked BOS-SFO-YVR in biz, will I have access to the Polaris lounge in SFO?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
If I’m booked BOS-SFO-YVR in biz, will I have access to the Polaris lounge in SFO?
No, Canada flights do not qualify.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
If SFO-YVR is UA operated, No. None of those flights are Polaris marketed tickets.

If AC operated, there is no definitive posted policy for SFO, however, there is for ORD and the answer is No.
There has been at least one report of a denial for SFO and AC transborder flights.

The reason for the AC denial would be the equivalent UA operated flight would not qualify as a Polaris marketed flight.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Can I access the United Polaris lounge if my travel is terminating at EWR in Polaris from NRT - EWR?
if so how would the logistics work?
Would I have to check in my bags in storage and go through TSA with a boarding pass issued at NRT to access the lounge post security?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by azfanboy
Can I access the United Polaris lounge if my travel is terminating at EWR in Polaris from NRT - EWR?
if so how would the logistics work?
Would I have to check in my bags in storage and go through TSA with a boarding pass issued at NRT to access the lounge post security?

Thanks!
If you had an onward boarding pass from EWR to anywhere to get past security, yes you’d have access to the lounge. A terminating NRT-EWR boarding pass won’t get you past security at EWR, so no lounge if that’s the case.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Global Service, DL Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Multiple Polaris Club Access / EWR + IAH

I booked in Polaroid from TLV-EWR-IAH-BOG. Access in EWR to the Polaris lounge was a given, but I was nervous about access to the newly opened club in Houston on my second stop. The access rules are sort of vague about a 24 hour in/out flight, but doesn’t mention that the club airport is the origin of that in/out flight.

Anyway - no questions asked, I entered the IAH Polaris club, scanned my IAH-BOG (which is South America, but not a Polaris flight). Light turned green and they let me in. This means to me .... that I could connect with something like SYD-LAX-IAH-Final, and stil be able to use the IAH Polaris club. Good information to know for next booking.

Just posting this as an informational if anyone else in interested. Hope it’s helpful.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:41 am

Yes, this is according to the United Polaris lounge access policy. If you take the red-eye TLV-EWR and continue to IAH and then to SFO you could see 3 Polaris lounges during their opening hours.

Customers in United Polaris first/business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.

Thanks for the data point.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-lounges.html

Last edited by mozilla; Jul 19, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Even the 24hrs is fuzzy, I conducted a "Fishing expedition" a few weeks ago
Seperate PNR's
Flying ORD-XXX at roughly 11am on day 1
Day 2, I was flying XXX-Int'l on Polaris, but the flight left XXX at 10am, but the polaris flight left at 5pm, but i had checked in for both flights

I went by the Polaris lounge at 09:30 to see if I could get in - no dice (I told the attendants what I was doing)
Came back at 10:01am and tried again and was granted access

But, I had to book it as I was leaving from B25ish and had a long walk

Last edited by Hipplewm; Jul 19, 2018 at 5:23 pm
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Seperate PNR's
Day 2, I was flying XXX-Int'l on Polaris, but the flight left XXX at 10am, but the polaris flight left at 5pm, but i had checked in for both flights

I went by the Polaris lounge at 10:30 to see if I could get in - no dice (I told the attendants what I was doing)

Key phrase here is same day, not 24 hours. I am assuming you were denied access at ORD, but allowed at XXX.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Key phrase here is same day, not 24 hours. I am assuming you were denied access at ORD, but allowed at XXX.
No, it works if within 24 hours of Polaris itinerary. (edit: although there are reports of SFO being finicky.)

I suspect there is a typo or time zone quirk in Hipplewm's reporting of '10:30' no / '10:01am' yes.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
No, it works if within 24 hours of Polaris itinerary. (edit: although there are reports of SFO being finicky.)

I suspect there is a typo or time zone quirk in Hipplewm's reporting of '10:30' no / '10:01am' yes.
10:30 pm the Day before
10:01 am the Day of

What was not tested:

9:59 am the Day of (which would test the 24-hour versus same-day theory)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Seperate PNR's
Day 2, I was flying XXX-Int'l on Polaris, but
the flight left XXX at 10am, but the polaris flight left at 5pm, but i had checked in for both flights

I went by the Polaris lounge at 10:30 to see if I could get in - no dice (I told the attendants what I was doing)

Originally Posted by aacharya
10:30 pm the Day before
10:01 am the Day of

What was not tested:

9:59 am the Day of (which would test the 24-hour versus same-day theory)
'XXX-Int'l' had a segment at 10a from XXX-??? on the day of, which conflicts with the theory that '10:01 am' is on the day of, no?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
'XXX-Int'l' had a segment at 10a from XXX-??? on the day of, which conflicts with the theory that '10:01 am' is on the day of, no?
Hmm, a fair point, as the Polaris flight was at 5 pm. I guess not sure why 10:01 am was an important timepoint (maybe that's when Polaris opens).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.