Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 12, 22, 2:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mechteach
Wiki Link
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.

If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those accessing the PL as a 3-Class F passenger on a partner airline can guest 1 person.
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger.

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 24, 22, 2:00 pm

Polaris Lounge EWR--guests accepted?

I'm flying Polaris to Europe this week and associate traveling w/me is, unfortunately, flying back of the bus. Actually, it's her first trip outside the US.

Am I allowed to bring one (1) guest into the Polaris lounge @ EWR? If so, I'll bring her; it might motivate her to get into the points-earning game.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA
Per Club and lounge access, you do not get any guests for the Polaris lounge. Are you *G? If so you can guest your associate into the United Club.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
No guests in the Polaris lounges.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No guests unless you are on a partner flight with true international 1st class, then 1 guest. Business Class does not get a PL guest.

No guest either for United Club for a International Business, but a guest for *G travellers
MatthewLAX and chemengin like this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold
No, since Polaris is a class-of-travel lounge, the only way you can bring a guest is via the Star Alliance policy that First Class passengers can bring one guest with them, which does not apply to Polaris—a business class product. If you are a United Club member or United/Star Alliance Gold, then you could bring a guest with you into the lounge but only into the United Club. (Obviously not as nice as Polaris, but if you are looking to enjoy the lounge with a guest, the new Club at C123 is honestly not too bad.)
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by elizadoo View Post
Am I allowed to bring one (1) guest into the Polaris lounge @ EWR?
No.

David
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:10 pm

Thanks for the info--not *G, unfortunately. I wanted to make sure, because Business Traveler noted that Polaris pax are entitled to one guest. Obviously, wrong.

I'm flying into EWR a few hours before my companion, so I'm thinking of spending the time, alone, in Polaris, then hopping over to the United Club and 'treating' her, as I have an extra pass that expires soon. We're flying on a Tuesday so the lounge shouldn't be turning away passholders.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thanks for the info--not *G, unfortunately. I wanted to make sure, because Business Traveler noted that Polaris pax are entitled to one guest. Obviously, wrong.

I'm flying into EWR a few hours before my companion, so I'm thinking of spending the time, alone, in Polaris, then hopping over to the United Club and 'treating' her, as I have an extra pass that expires soon. We're flying on a Tuesday so the lounge shouldn't be turning away passholders.
Uh, good luck.

David
Old Jul 24, 22, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We're flying on a Tuesday so the lounge shouldn't be turning away passholders.
Thats an optimistic assumption prior to the TATL banks, but good luck.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 8:15 am

Programs: United Plat - Star Alliance Gold - AA Gold - Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Thanks for reporting seems they must tweaked the scanners to be even more restrictive, then.

The above seems like a close analogue to your ORD-IAH-LIM itinerary, so perhaps there will be some overrides required at ORD. I think the itinerary and connection is simple enough that it should not get an agent into 'say-no' mode, though, so hopefully there'll be no issue getting in ultimately. Good luck.
Sounds like this will require talking and explaining to an agent. Hopefully they are friendly and understanding. Will report back after day of travel.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
Like NYC multiple household members going to work in the morning on unlimited passes. One member left home early, entered subway station, (knowing how long the "lock" would last) passed the MetroCard to another household member to enter. Until one day MTA decided to suddenly, without announcement (because it'd be illegal anyway), lengthen the "lock" period.
I get saving money, but can't imagine walking down to the station with my family member, taking their pass, and then going to sit around getting a coffee or whatever to wait the hour (or more) to then use the train. And do the same in reverse in the evening.
Old Aug 1, 22, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
Coming off BRU-EWR in Polaris and have a same day connection EWR-YOW on a SEPARATE ticket. I should have access using my inbound boarding pass right?
Old Aug 1, 22, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Coming off BRU-EWR in Polaris and have a same day connection EWR-YOW on a SEPARATE ticket. I should have access using my inbound boarding pass right?
Yes.
Old Aug 1, 22, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Yes.
thank you.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:04 am

Programs: DL UA
Polaris Lounge Access

I'm flying Polaris on a long haul SFO-SIN but my departure airport is IAD. Can I use the Polaris lounge at IAD or only at SFO? Thanks!

Search this Thread