Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Capital_Trav
Hello,
Flying to ICN with the following configuration with Polaris -- IAD-SFO-ICN. I bought the tickets in United as one flight
IAD-SFO is Fare Class United First (JN)
SFO-ICN - Polaris Business
The SFO layover is 14 hrs. Will be arriving on Friday afternoon and leaving Saturday AM . I will be getting a hotel. I chose this since the other option is a 1.5 hr connection and I am avoiding any mishaps that may occur ( delayed flight, etc)
1. Can I access Polaris in IAD for departure?
2. Can I access Polaris in SFO upon arrival?
3. Can I access Polaris SFO again before departure again?
Thanks for all the info.
In my experience, yes to all. However, on day 1 (IAD-SFO), the agents will have to write a note before admitting you. Welcome to flyertalk!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
In my experience, yes to all. However, on day 1 (IAD-SFO), the agents will have to write a note before admitting you. Welcome to flyertalk!
Thank you for the quick reply. United Chat service tells me that I can not access IAD Polaris since my ticket is Not Polaris, only First class.

Are these the agents when I check in with? At least there is an option to get Polaris. There will be 4 of us travelling.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Hello,
Flying to ICN with the following configuration with Polaris -- IAD-SFO-ICN. I bought the tickets in United as one flight
The SFO layover is 14 hrs. Will be arriving on Friday afternoon and leaving Saturday AM . I will be getting a hotel. I chose this since the other option is a 1.5 hr connection and I am avoiding any mishaps that may occur ( delayed flight, etc)
Thanks for all the info.
I flew IAD-SFO-ICN in the same day last month. There was almost no time for PL at IAD. The lounge opened at 5:30 am and the flight departed at 6:15 am. I did have enough time for sitting down breakfast at SFO PL. SFO-ICN delays very often. IAD-SFO tends to arrive early. The chance for misconnection is rather small. OP does get value out of PL access. BTW, PJ is available for both SFO-ICN and ICN-SFO if you need one.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the quick reply. United Chat service tells me that I can not access IAD Polaris since my ticket is Not Polaris, only First class.

Are these the agents when I check in with? At least there is an option to get Polaris. There will be 4 of us travelling.
No, those are not the same agents. Best is if you have your SFO-ICN BP in hand. They will scan the IAD-SFO one, but they may want to see the SFO-ICN one.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA chat agent is wrong. They're not useful for anything except the simplest itinerary changes (which you can do on the app or website by yourself anyway).

You get Polaris access on a same day itinerary so long as there's a Polaris flight involved.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
SFO-ICN delays very often. IAD-SFO tends to arrive early. The chance for misconnection is rather small. OP does get value out of PL access. BTW, PJ is available for both SFO-ICN and ICN-SFO if you need one.
Travelling with children. Didnt want to risk it. And THANK YOU for the pajama reminder. Will definitely ask for one.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:43 pm

No, those are not the same agents. Best is if you have your SFO-ICN BP in hand. They will scan the IAD-SFO one, but they may want to see the SFO-ICN one.
Hello, can you clarify who these agents I should talk to? I'd really like to have a smoother flying experience (including lounge) instead of fretting if I can or can not access Polaris. Thank you.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello, can you clarify who these agents I should talk to? I'd really like to have a smoother flying experience (including lounge) instead of fretting if I can or can not access Polaris. Thank you.
The agents at the front desk of the PL are the ones who will admit you. They are the ones who will do any needed BP checks. Phone or chat agents won't have any bearing on this, and they may give the wrong answer.

Simply stated: check in, get BPs printed at ticket counter at IAD. Go through, go to PL, scan IAD-SFO boarding pass. If agent asks about routing (likely), show SFO-ICN boarding pass as part of same ticket, and agent will put a note in the computer to admit you. Agent likely will ask for passports as well.

Unfortunately, there is always a chance you get someone who can't be bothered and just wants to say no, as some here have reported finding. But my experience is that is not common. Good luck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:13 pm

The agents at the front desk of the PL are the ones who will admit you. They are the ones who will do any needed BP checks. Phone or chat agents won't have any bearing on this, and they may give the wrong answer.

Simply stated: check in, get BPs printed at ticket counter at IAD. Go through, go to PL, scan IAD-SFO boarding pass. If agent asks about routing (likely), show SFO-ICN boarding pass as part of same ticket, and agent will put a note in the computer to admit you. Agent likely will ask for passports as well.

Unfortunately, there is always a chance you get someone who can't be bothered and just wants to say no, as some here have reported finding. But my experience is that is not common. Good luck.
Thank you for the info. Fingers crossed we can all get in without any issues!
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Hello,
Thanks for all the info.
Flying LAX-LAS-ORD and ORD-IAD-BRU on separate tickets but LAX departure is within 24 hours of IAD departure and was able to access PL at LAX.

LAX UC agent was able to put in the notes and directed me to Polaris. He clarified that the official policy for "same-day" is indeed within 24 hours of Polaris departure, not by calendar day. However, he said many agents are not on the same page about the policy and will enforce the rule by calendar day.

I got denied at ORD PL and UC twice but admitted at SFO PL last year for a within 20 hours but not the same calendar day departure.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA chat agent is wrong. They're not useful for anything except the simplest itinerary changes (which you can do on the app or website by yourself anyway).

You get Polaris access on a same day itinerary so long as there's a Polaris flight involved.
Their itinerary is unfortunately not same day.

Hello,
Thanks for all the info.
The class of service IAD-SFO is irrelevant, it is the long haul international Polaris segment which will allow you access. However for domestic connections there is a requirement for "same day travel". Last half of last year I had two similar flights to you and was denied access in IAD both times by different agents. They cited the part of the rule that says "with same day Polaris boarding pass". Last month I discussed this with an agent in the Polaris lounge in SFO, she said last March the agents were given instructions to stick to the same day rule. Same day being same calendar day. I would temper your expectations accordingly.

But you definitely get access in SFO. Enjoy your trip!
findark likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bob12403
Polaris newbie here, asking for some lounge access insight.
My wife and I are flying IAD-SFO-SYD on the outbound, MEL-SFO-IAD on the return. Domestic flights in First, International in Polaris.
From everything I've read here, I believe I'm correct that IAD and certainly SFO on both itineraries offer Polaris lounge access.
Correct.

Originally Posted by bob12403
However, there are no Polaris lounges in SYD or MEL. What options do I have, if any, to use a *A lounge in Australia? Particularly interested in access to a meal and perhaps even a shower if possible when arriving in SYD. And would the same day rule apply in SYD if trying to enter a *A lounge on arrival?
Thanks in advance.
You'll have access to a partner lounge at MEL. There is no access at SYD. *A lounges are departure lounges only, and AFAIK UA hasn't contracted with any arrival lounge at SYD.
bob12403 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct.
You'll have access to a partner lounge at MEL. There is no access at SYD. *A lounges are departure lounges only, and AFAIK UA hasn't contracted with any arrival lounge at SYD.
Thank you. I never cease to be amazed at how great this board is!
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 10:39 pm

Data point: able to get into PL SFO without a boarding pass (more than 3 hours prior to departure and therefore check in desk with ANA not yet to open). Flew in on a domestic positioning flight. Just show flight receipt with name, PNR, route, and class.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:35 pm

We booked SAS "business smart" from ORD to ARN, which doesn't get lounge access according to their fare comparison page, but we should still be able to access the United Polaris lounge in ORD, correct? Assuming just no SAS lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.