Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023, 12:53 pm

Flying LHR-IAD in United Polaris.
Connecting to IAD-PTY with Copa Business leaving at 00:49am

Will I get access to the United Polaris lounge?
From what I read the Copa leg is not eglible for access, but I have also read that you have access when arriving with UA Polaris, however only when connecting domestic? So I am a bit confused
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scav0r

Will I get access to the United Polaris lounge?
From what I read the Copa leg is not eglible for access, but I have also read that you have access when arriving with UA Polaris, however only when connecting domestic? So I am a bit confused
Yes, eligible due to LHR-IAD in Polaris. Probably what you saw was worded however it was due to fact that most of time the connection is domestic. It's irrelevant what type of connection, though.

Enjoy. And welcome to flyertalk.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think any ID should be necessary, but if an ID is needed for some invented reason, any ID that is good enough to get through airport security should be sufficient.

Personally, I don't like companies that treat customers like a presumptive criminal in order to avoid a miniscule chance of someone unjustly getting $3 of food.
moondog and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by scav0r
When? I will be on this Copa flight in about 26 hours from now (departing and arriving Sunday)

Will be in the ORD PL before this
Old Feb 10, 2023, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Doppy
...I don't like companies that treat customers like a presumptive criminal in order to avoid a miniscule chance of someone unjustly getting $3 of food.
It's not the food - it's the crowding. I think some of the PLs got pretty close to occupancy limits pre-Covid (ORD comes to mind, specifically). How would you like to be denied access at some point when travel really picks up w/ a Polaris ticket because someone got in via scam? Even if the occupancy limit wasn't tripped, there were already numerous complaints about peak time crowding at several PLs. I think we can agree to disagree about how onerous and utterly degrading showing an ID is
Old Feb 11, 2023, 3:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's not the food - it's the crowding. I think some of the PLs got pretty close to occupancy limits pre-Covid (ORD comes to mind, specifically). How would you like to be denied access at some point when travel really picks up w/ a Polaris ticket because someone got in via scam? Even if the occupancy limit wasn't tripped, there were already numerous complaints about peak time crowding at several PLs. I think we can agree to disagree about how onerous and utterly degrading showing an ID is
They could always build more/bigger PLs, make UCs nicer, or sunset the Chase cards. I never experience crowding issues at CX's lounges in HK, and all of them have decent f&b and friendly gatekeepers.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Why bother with a convoluted drivers' license verification manual? Would just make getting in take even longer.

Polaris is for international flights, and in nearly all (I said nearly) cases, entrants will have passports. I appreciate efforts to control access. If a person isn't equipped to show their boarding pass and passport to enter an international business class lounge, what exactly were they planning to do to get through immigrations at their destination?
I agree. Showing a passport for entry is hardly an undue hardship. 😊
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Polaris is for international flights, and in nearly all (I said nearly) cases, entrants will have passports. I appreciate efforts to control access. If a person isn't equipped to show their boarding pass and passport to enter an international business class lounge, what exactly were they planning to do to get through immigrations at their destination?

FWIW I usually get asked for my passport each time in SFO. Never in EWR.
I've been asked at SFO and EWR (and LAX...can't remember the others). But not each time, or anywhere close to 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah, it really doesn't bother me. "Hassle" is Amex CL, where they require boarding pass, Plat card, and ID.
Definitely agree. But at least the AmEx CL process is consistent and so I know what to expect.

At the PL, it seems completely random as to when they want to see a passport and when they don't, and they've caught me off-guard a few times after coming off the long-haul & connecting to the domestic segment when I've had to fish out my passport after packing it away under assumption that I'm done with my passport usage for the trip.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by econ
I've been asked at SFO and EWR (and LAX...can't remember the others). But not each time, or anywhere close to 100% of the time.
I don't get to do much INTL (J or otherwise) and all of my new era (mid-2020->present) J has somehow avoided the Polaris lounges [hours, connection time, extended closure, etc.] but in the previous era I think I was always asked for passport on the outbound side in the context of skipping document verification at the gate "if you have it handy" -- then stamping the BP with "DOCS OK". Even on non-INTL travel my passport s always two zippers away from me so I don't see it as a big deal (indeed I treat it as another opportunity to confirm I have my ducks in a row) -- but I can see how some may fret the opportunity for misplacement.

Unless (until) UA starts using biometric markers for verification (or even just stored photos) UA has a need/desire to protect the product (the Polaris lounges have been closely guarded compared to the relative free-for-all that clubs are) and using an internationally standardized identity document that is already required for virtually any itinerary that conveys Polaris access doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If some guy from Mongolia shows up at the PL with his driver’s license, how is the lounge agent supposed to know what it is, if it belongs to him, or even if it’s actually an ID? Heck, it could very well be in non-recognizable characters. The agent can read anyone’s passport no matter where they’re from.
In my case, it's a California ID in the SFO (California) Polaris lounge.

A Mongolian DL isn't going to get you through security. A state-issued REAL ID is.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
At the PL, it seems completely random as to when they want to see a passport and when they don't
That's just UA's consistent inconsistency in yet another setting . . . .
Doppy and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:20 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by canadiancow
A state-issued REAL ID is.
/OT on

And non-REAL ID for that matter. That garbage has been extended for the umpteenth time and probably will again after 2025.

/OT off
lincolnjkc and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about the number of scammers trying to get into the PL. I have no reason to believe that it doesn't approximate zero on a per capita basis.

At busy times there's regularly a line out the door to get into the PL; the last thing they need to do is make the process a circus. I usually enter SFO in the international terminal regardless of where I'm traveling, so I see the situation often.

If you read this thread the food is inedible post covid anyway so why would anyone want to go in the first place?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Just went through SFO and EWR Polaris twice. EWR would not take another form of ID. SFO has always been fine with a drivers license and for the first time specifically asked for a passport. I showed them a passport card and they were OK with that, so clearly they just want an ID. Asking for passports slows things down.

Speaking of the SFO Polaris lounge - they were having a wine tasting there yesterday. They have a new bar manager (one month on the job) who was walking around speaking with customers. Not sure where it is going, but he said he wants to start whiskey tastings too.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:37 pm

Hello,
Flying to ICN with the following configuration with Polaris -- IAD-SFO-ICN. I bought the tickets in United as one flight
IAD-SFO is Fare Class United First (JN)
SFO-ICN - Polaris Business
The SFO layover is 14 hrs. Will be arriving on Friday afternoon and leaving Saturday AM . I will be getting a hotel. I chose this since the other option is a 1.5 hr connection and I am avoiding any mishaps that may occur ( delayed flight, etc)
1. Can I access Polaris in IAD for departure?
2. Can I access Polaris in SFO upon arrival?
3. Can I access Polaris SFO again before departure again?
Thanks for all the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.