Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Cant be that simple. If i were coming off an international flight on United metal into SFO and leaving same day on same award ticket purchased but in Econ on domestic segment I would, correct? So it’s the fact the the connection is overnight that doesn’t allow entrance back in?
It is that simple. You would be landside upon clearing immigration and custom, and you don't have a same day ticket to re-enter.
IAH-OIL-TRASH and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Cant be that simple. If i were coming off an international flight on United metal into SFO and leaving same day on same award ticket purchased but in Econ on domestic segment I would, correct? So it’s the fact the the connection is overnight that doesn’t allow entrance back in?
Yes - you can't get into secured area with next day's BP, unless you are departing early morning (say 1am).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And UA will not hold your bags overnight.

Some have reported Polaris access the following day, so you could give it a try.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:56 pm

If i were coming off an international flight on United metal into SFO and leaving same day on same award ticket purchased but in Econ on domestic segment I would, correct?
Yes

So it’s the fact the the connection is overnight that doesn’t allow entrance back in?
Yes
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Not sure if my experience below is even relevant, but just sharing as a data point:

I often do SIN-SFO-EWR-FLL leaving SIN at 10 pm and arrive SFO at 8 pm on the same day. Pending on transit time, I may or may not use the SFO PL.
After arriving at EWR on the red-eye flight (next day morning arrival), I have no problem access EWR PL, where I ususaly have more than enough time to shower and eat a breakfast before boarding flight to FLL.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
You don't scan on the way out, so how would the system know if you'd left and were returning?
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The scam works by one person (the illegitimate entry) going in first. After 1st has been there a while, the 2nd person enters, claiming they left and are coming back in. If same agent is at entry, the scammers might get caught.
Thanks. I was focusing on bringing in the guests with the Polaris passenger who has access. I guess I am naive to think a Polaris passenger would guest someone in when he/she is not there.
The current control of checking ID/passport seems ineffective based on the situations described by others in this thread.

Other than SFO PL, i often do not have my ID/passport checked. May be one out five times in other PLs they ask for my ID/passport.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Doppy
Seems like hassling your highest value customers is not worth the benefit of stopping the one in a billion scammer who has a fake boarding pass and non-passport ID.

What about people with fake passports? Maybe they should connect to DHS databases and add biometric verification to the check in process
Seriously, how much of a hassle is it??? It's not stopping "the one in a billion scammer who has a fake boarding pass and non-passport ID" - they might get through. It's stopping the non-fake-ID-holding scammers, which is probably most, if not all, of them.
FlytheTail and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Seriously, how much of a hassle is it??? It's not stopping "the one in a billion scammer who has a fake boarding pass and non-passport ID" - they might get through. It's stopping the non-fake-ID-holding scammers, which is probably most, if not all, of them.
Reported above was not only that they wanted to see ID, but moreover, they were demanding to see passports, not other forms of government-issued ID. With the supposed justification being that people were traveling around with not only fake boarding passes, but fake drivers licenses (fake in the sense of not belonging to the person trying to enter). That just seems like an insane level of delusion that this scam is happening enough to worry about.

What is the hassle? Every time you fumble with your ID there is the chance of misplacing it. I keep my passport, specifically, somewhere it is not likely to get lost or stolen, which is harder to access, and don't want to take unnecessary chances. Especially when some officious clerk demands to not only see the ID, but personally handle it themselves.

Half the time I use Clear, it is not because it is saving me any time (often it is not), but because one less time futzing around with ID is one less risk I'm taking.

I'd rather take the minute chance that there is some guy in the Polaris lounge swilling Jim Beam on a fake boarding pass and ID than be guaranteed to be hassled and take a chance of some mishap with my ID at the start of a trip. The Centurion Lounge check-in carnival is similarly annoying.

I've had occasions at hotels where everyone gets distracted and everyone forgets about the passport before you leave the desk, and believe me it is not a good feeling to realize you don't have your passport later. If you travel enough, eventually you will experience everything that is possible to experience, just by random chance.

The irony of the "hordes of people are scamming their way in to the Polaris Lounge to hit the salad bar" argument is that half the posts in this forum are from people complaining that the food quality in the lounge has declined to the point where it is literally "inedible."
ikwia likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:14 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Not sure if my experience below is even relevant, but just sharing as a data point:

I often do SIN-SFO-EWR-FLL leaving SIN at 10 pm and arrive SFO at 8 pm on the same day. Pending on transit time, I may or may not use the SFO PL.
After arriving at EWR on the red-eye flight (next day morning arrival), I have no problem access EWR PL, where I ususaly have more than enough time to shower and eat a breakfast before boarding flight to FLL.
In this case are you seeing that the last segment BP still says "INTERNATIONAL" on it? I have noticed that when I have a domestic connection which is not same-day with the international trip (either beginning or end) and it does not say INTERNATIONAL I am not getting the beep. In all cases my tickets were booked through as connections but for whatever reasons sometimes that first or last leg BP will not say INTERNATIONAL when it is not the same day as the international flight. Maybe has something to do with the fare consturction.

Until a year ago I was always waved through. But since about August it is a hard NO at SFO or IAD. Again, this is only when when I do not have INTERNATIONAL printed on the BP no problem.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: UA MM
Reported above was not only that they wanted to see ID, but moreover, they were demanding to see passports, not other forms of government-issued ID. With the supposed justification being that people were traveling around with not only fake boarding passes, but fake drivers licenses (fake in the sense of not belonging to the person trying to enter). That just seems like an insane level of delusion that this scam is happening enough to worry about.

What is the hassle? Every time you fumble with your ID there is the chance of misplacing it. I keep my passport, specifically, somewhere it is not likely to get lost or stolen, which is harder to access, and don't want to take unnecessary chances. Especially when some officious clerk demands to not only see the ID, but personally handle it themselves.

Half the time I use Clear, it is not because it is saving me any time (often it is not), but because one less time futzing around with ID is one less risk I'm taking.

I'd rather take the minute chance that there is some guy in the Polaris lounge swilling Jim Beam on a fake boarding pass and ID than be guaranteed to be hassled and take a chance of some mishap with my ID at the start of a trip. The Centurion Lounge check-in carnival is similarly annoying.

I've had occasions at hotels where everyone gets distracted and everyone forgets about the passport before you leave the desk, and believe me it is not a good feeling to realize you don't have your passport later. If you travel enough, eventually you will experience everything that is possible to experience, just by random chance.

The irony of the "hordes of people are scamming their way in to the Polaris Lounge to hit the salad bar" argument is that half the posts in this forum are from people complaining that the food quality in the lounge has declined to the point where it is literally "inedible."
If some guy from Mongolia shows up at the PL with his driver’s license, how is the lounge agent supposed to know what it is, if it belongs to him, or even if it’s actually an ID? Heck, it could very well be in non-recognizable characters. The agent can read anyone’s passport no matter where they’re from.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If some guy from Mongolia shows up at the PL with his driver’s license, how is the lounge agent supposed to know what it is, if it belongs to him, or even if it’s actually an ID? Heck, it could very well be in non-recognizable characters. The agent can read anyone’s passport no matter where they’re from.
https://www.driverslicenseguide.com/book-intl.html
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I'd rather take the minute chance that there is some guy in the Polaris lounge swilling Jim Beam on a fake boarding pass and ID than be guaranteed to be hassled and take a chance of some mishap with my ….
I sincerely doubt you turn around and leave if asked for an ID

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 10, 2023 at 8:54 am
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Why bother with a convoluted drivers' license verification manual? Would just make getting in take even longer.

Polaris is for international flights, and in nearly all (I said nearly) cases, entrants will have passports. I appreciate efforts to control access. If a person isn't equipped to show their boarding pass and passport to enter an international business class lounge, what exactly were they planning to do to get through immigrations at their destination?

FWIW I usually get asked for my passport each time in SFO. Never in EWR.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Why bother with a convoluted drivers' license verification manual? Would just make getting in take even longer.

Polaris is for international flights, and in nearly all (I said nearly) cases, entrants will have passports. I appreciate efforts to control access. If a person isn't equipped to show their boarding pass and passport to enter an international business class lounge, what exactly were they planning to do to get through immigrations at their destination?

FWIW I usually get asked for my passport each time in SFO. Never in EWR.
Since nearly all people have passports, minimal time thumbing through reference books is required.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Polaris is for international flights, and in nearly all (I said nearly) cases, entrants will have passports. I appreciate efforts to control access.
Yeah, it really doesn't bother me. "Hassle" is Amex CL, where they require boarding pass, Plat card, and ID.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.