Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Gold
I am flying on Swiss Airlines in J on a UA award ticket MCI-ORD-ZRH-BCN next week. I have a 4h19m connection in Chicago coming from MCI.
During the ORD layover, do I have access to the Polaris Lounge? Or do I have access to a UC. Swiss leaves from terminal 5, I will allow plenty of time to transfer over there.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by susiesan
I am flying on Swiss Airlines in J on a UA award ticket MCI-ORD-ZRH-BCN next week. I have a 4h19m connection in Chicago coming from MCI.
During the ORD layover, do I have access to the Polaris Lounge? Or do I have access to a UC. Swiss leaves from terminal 5, I will allow plenty of time to transfer over there.
Yes for the Polaris Lounge. Airside bus to T5 leaves every 15 minutes from gate B1.
uanj likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Gold
Talking yippee

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Yes for the Polaris Lounge. Airside bus to T5 leaves every 15 minutes from gate B1.
Excellent, I was hoping I could use the Polaris Lounge. I purposely gave my self extra connection time at ORD for this. The LX flight leaves at 7:10pm so I'll have a nice dinner in the Polaris Lounge and sleep on the 8.5 hour LX flight.
uanj and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:05 pm

Programs: United Platinum
ORD-ZRH - Booked Swiss metal business via United. Okay to use ORD Polaris Lounge?

The Swissport Lounge reviews are terrible and am wondering if we can use the Polaris Lounge. Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA1K
Yes you can
Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
Yes you can
Any idea if it’s long journey to the Swiss gates from there? We’re arriving ORD from PHX on United so will come into a United gate.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Any idea if it’s long journey to the Swiss gates from there? We’re arriving ORD from PHX on United so will come into a United gate.
Confirmed, Polaris lounge is heaps better then Swissport.

Polaris Lounge is in Terminal 1, which is where you will arrive on your United flight.
You will need to transfer to Terminal 5, which is where Swiss departs.

Assuming all 1 ticket and you will have BP, not have to re-claim bags, etc, then you can take a terminal transfer bus which will keep you airside.

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

I would allow at least 30 minutes, though could be as quick as 15 if you catch the timings right. The pickup spot is at gate B1, which is on the other side of the tunnel from the Polaris Lounge.

Alternatively, you can also exit airside, catch the Train to Terminal 5, and re-clear security there.

Summery of options: https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/tbt.aspx
SPN Lifer, clkc86 and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
What’s consensus here on overnight from GRU to IAH, connecting from IAH to EWR on different PNR. Access in EWR with the GRU-IAH BP?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by st530
What’s consensus here on overnight from GRU to IAH, connecting from IAH to EWR on different PNR. Access in EWR with the GRU-IAH BP?
Flying LHR-LAX-SFO, I couldn't get into the SFO PL using LHR-LAX BP at all. I needed LAX-SFO BP. And that was same PNR, same calendar day.

So I'm guessing GRU-IAH BP won't work at all at EWR. IAH-EWR BP probably wouldn't either unless the computer somehow recognizes that you had another Polaris flight on a separate PNR earlier that day, or agent is willing to override/etc.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by econ
Flying LHR-LAX-SFO, I couldn't get into the SFO PL using LHR-LAX BP at all. I needed LAX-SFO BP. And that was same PNR, same calendar day..
I have a similar itinerary coming up so good to know. Seems strange but I guess it is what it is. I just assumed same day and same PNR any BP would work. I'll get paper BP's per usual and keep them. Thanks for the heads up on this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 10:32 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Your situation sounds similar to something I recently faced. Based on that experience I would not expect access in EWR. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by autobahnal
Your situation sounds similar to something I recently faced. Based on that experience I would not expect access in EWR. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Thanks, good to know. I'm assuming you didn't push back much?
Old Sep 6, 2023, 1:55 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Thanks, good to know. I'm assuming you didn't push back much?
I didn't. They weren't rude about it, but just said I'm not eligible because the Polaris itinerary didn't include EWR, even if it was the same calendar day (they even tried scanning both boarding passes just to make sure). It was mildly disappointing, but not that much, and also not unreasonable, and in any event I had been traveling for >24 hours at that point and a quick stop in the UA club for an email was all I really needed before leaving the airport.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by autobahnal
I didn't. They weren't rude about it, but just said I'm not eligible because the Polaris itinerary didn't include EWR, even if it was the same calendar day (they even tried scanning both boarding passes just to make sure). It was mildly disappointing, but not that much, and also not unreasonable, and in any event I had been traveling for >24 hours at that point and a quick stop in the UA club for an email was all I really needed before leaving the airport.
That's interesting, so it was the scanner that denied you admission rather than an interpretation by the agent of "eligible same-day itinerary". If that is indeed the current scanner policy, it seems like a change from the Wiki and some earlier posts indicating admission is permitted at the final destination PL even with a different (non-Polaris-linked) same-day connecting itinerary to the final destination.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's interesting, so it was the scanner that denied you admission rather than an interpretation by the agent of "eligible same-day itinerary". If that is indeed the current scanner policy, it seems like a change from the Wiki and some earlier posts indicating admission is permitted at the final destination PL even with a different (non-Polaris-linked) same-day connecting itinerary to the final destination.
The wiki is out of date. I just took a look, though, and couldn't decide how to update it. The exact rules aren't that clear to me, but they are definitely different than what they were (wiki reflects what they were).

I've gotten in with your scenario and been rejected with the same. My usual approach currently is to scan the Polaris BP, wait for the now-typical "where are you going??" question, and then fan out my BPs showing the separately-ticketed routing. Sometimes the agent will write a note adding access for me at all the airports. Not sure if this will match others' experiences, but this has typically worked for me in SFO, LAX and ORD, but not worked for me at EWR. There, I didn't get rejected out of hand, but after a bit of typing and clicking the agent settled on a flat no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.