Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Yeah ANA's boarding pass.

And great, thanks. I've never been in a Polaris Lounge so would like to check it out, but if it really was just the Club then I didn't need to be in a rush to get to the airport.
You also get a +1 guest to polaris lounge

Probably doesn't need to be flying out on same flight, but who knows?
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paperwastage
You also get a +1 guest to polaris lounge

Probably doesn't need to be flying out on same flight, but who knows?
Does not (need to be on same flight).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:59 pm

Going back to Europe from EWR tomorrow, is there any restriction on how early you can get to the polaris lounge? Flight is at 17pm and I'll probably be at EWR around 12pm.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by miljon3
Going back to Europe from EWR tomorrow, is there any restriction on how early you can get to the polaris lounge? Flight is at 17pm and I'll probably be at EWR around 12pm.
You can visit the PL as early as you want (when the PL is open). But I am not sure that the PL is open at 17 pm (5 am).
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by miljon3
You will be fine.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You will be fine.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You can visit the PL as early as you want (when the PL is open). But I am not sure that the PL is open at 17 pm (5 am).
Okay, thank you!
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I read 17pm as 1700 (5pm)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:20 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by paperwastage
In case people here missed this, should also work for Polaris lounge (though that other person was intklslly denied) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35402799-post1204.html
I've tried this but was told it is for access to UCs, not Polaris. Polaris is same day access only. Would be nice if we could see complete, clearly written rules for access.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I read 17pm as 1700 (5pm)
I understood what miljon3 said, that is, 1700 (using the 24-h clock), not 17 pm (using the 12h am and pm clock) in the original post. However, 17 pm does not exist in either clock. So, it could be 5 am according to my calculation (17-12.)😄😄
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post # 1997)
However, 17 pm does not exist in either clock. So, it could be 5 am according to my calculation (17-12.)
Too clever by half.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by uanj
I've tried this but was told it is for access to UCs, not Polaris. Polaris is same day access only. Would be nice if we could see complete, clearly written rules for access.
Which airport PL are you trying to access? I really do think the agent just made that up since UC access is technically also for "same-day". Did they try looking it up in Wingtips or did they just outright deny you?

LAX PL staff was already aware of this and I had no issue getting in. I did LAX-LAS-ORD and ORD-IAD-BRU on two separate PNRs. LAX was a evening departure and LAS departed at 11:59p/12:30a. I first went to LAX UC and scanned the LAX departure boarding pass and red light came up. I provided the rest of the 3 BPs and was told that I could access Polaris lounge. The agent did the manual note thing, called ahead to PL and I was let into PL immediately as soon as I showed my LAX BP.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I have a daytime Polaris flight arriving into EWR then a separate ticket within the US. I believe it’s a pre-clearance departure so I’ll arrive directly into the departure. Do I show both boarding pass for access?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03
Do I show both boarding pass for access?
Just the longhaul ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by SP03
I have a daytime Polaris flight arriving into EWR then a separate ticket within the US. I believe it’s a pre-clearance departure so I’ll arrive directly into the departure. Do I show both boarding pass for access?
It varies. I believe the 'system' is getting better at recognizing eligibility recently
I just used my domestic BP a few minutes ago and it allowed me entry. In the past, I needed both, as you suggest. YMMV.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 5:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
It varies. I believe the 'system' is getting better at recognizing eligibility recently
I just used my domestic BP a few minutes ago and it allowed me entry. In the past, I needed both, as you suggest. YMMV.
Two separate PNRs? that was the OPs case.

Should never need the domestic BP as PL access is included on the UA operated arrival.
SPN Lifer, SP03, econ and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.