Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Old May 16, 2023, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gokeeper
I will be flying redeye LAX-IAD, then next morning IAD-XXX in Polaris, will I allowed to use Polaris lounge at LAX the night before?
TIA.
Yes, although it may not be automatic. Scan the Polaris BP, even though that will get you some confused looks and questions.
SPN Lifer and gokeeper like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 9:08 pm

Can I access Polaris on Air Canada business fare?

I have booked a business class ticket from LAX to Frankfurt via Toronto on Air Canada. I checked the rules and it seems that I would not have access to Polaris lounge at LAX since business class tickets to Canada are not eligible. However, my ticket is to Frankfurt via Canada. Does that change things?
Old May 27, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by CoolTourist
I have booked a business class ticket from LAX to Frankfurt via Toronto on Air Canada. I checked the rules and it seems that I would not have access to Polaris lounge at LAX since business class tickets to Canada are not eligible. However, my ticket is to Frankfurt via Canada. Does that change things?
For any flights not on UA metal, you only have Polaris Lounge access at the qualified segment's origin airport, so the flight from LAX is the one that counts, and that one is ineligible.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No Polaris lounge access at LAX, but your ticket should give you access to Air Canada's own premium lounge at Toronto - Signature Suite - more exclusive and arguably better than Polaris lounge. You should consult the Air Canada portion of FT to see if your ticket would qualify for entrance.

While you are unable to use Polaris lounge at LAX, you can access United Club at T7, Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge at T6, and Star Alliance lounge at TBIT. Budget time accordingly if you are using United Club and Star Alliance lounge, as they are not located in the same terminal where your flight to Toronto departs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
…However, my ticket is to Frankfurt via Canada. Does that change things?
No, the long-haul int’l partner flight would have to depart from LAX. It doesn’t. This goes for any Star Alliance partner flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:05 am

Arriving in Polaris - next day connecting flight - lounge access

I am arriving in the late evening in SFO (from FRA) in United Polaris. My domestic connecting fligt (in United First) departs the next morning. Both flights are on the same ticket. Do I have access to the Polaris lounge in SFO the next morning or do I have to go to the UA Club (LH *G)?
Old May 31, 2023, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The short answer is....maybe.

Rule states travel on same day, but is open to interpretation by lounge attendants.
Would suggest you stop by and ask for entry, but not be disappointed if you are turned away.

Full thread with a bunch of details and experiences here:

From the wiki in that thread:
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:07 am
vji

We (4pax) have a 7.5 hour layover in SFO, arriving in the morning (9am) and departing in the afternoon - is it worth it to stay in the Polaris lounge for that long and go for a "breakfast, rest, lunch" type of deal or would you all recommend going into the city or somewhere else nearby landside?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vji
We (4pax) have a 7.5 hour layover in SFO, arriving in the morning (9am) and departing in the afternoon - is it worth it to stay in the Polaris lounge for that long and go for a "breakfast, rest, lunch" type of deal or would you all recommend going into the city or somewhere else nearby landslide?

Thanks so much!
Depends on the travelers. but 7.5 hours is plenty to take BART to Ferry Building area in SF and small taste of the city. You could also take UBER To Golden Gate Park / Museums from SFO. (There are also numerous parts of the city -- Chinatown, Japantown, Ocean Beach, Bay Cruise, ....) These are each about 20 minutes trips one-way. There is nothing terrible interesting around the airport. (other than hotels -- day room?)
Lots of relevant discussion in San Francisco
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 2023 at 10:06 am Reason: additional areas
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:08 am

Oddball question I haven't seen in here - now that Emirates codeshares with UA, some of the blogs reported that ancillary benefits might become available between the two airlines, including miles earning and lounge access.

I'm flying out of EWR tonight in Emirates biz longhaul, is there any chance of Polaris access? I know Emirates is not Star A, but maybe the non-alliance partnership will have benefits? I have access to SAS I believe, but they close earlier than Polaris, and I'm sure Polaris is nicer anyway. So if there's a chance I'd figure I'd ask ahead of time, before transferring terminals.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
Oddball question I haven't seen in here - now that Emirates codeshares with UA, some of the blogs reported that ancillary benefits might become available between the two airlines, including miles earning and lounge access.

I'm flying out of EWR tonight in Emirates biz longhaul, is there any chance of Polaris access? I know Emirates is not Star A, but maybe the non-alliance partnership will have benefits? I have access to SAS I believe, but they close earlier than Polaris, and I'm sure Polaris is nicer anyway. So if there's a chance I'd figure I'd ask ahead of time, before transferring terminals.
No access to EWR Polaris lounge when flying EK.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
No access to EWR Polaris lounge when flying EK.
Well that was simple, thank you.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Flying MUC-SFO-HNL all the same day in J. According to my interpretation of the Wiki, it appears that I have Polaris lounge access in SFO after re-entering security?

And, for SFOers, am I correct that there is no longer an arrrivals lounge?

Many thanks.

Last edited by 747FC; Jun 4, 2023 at 4:39 pm
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:08 am
hch

Originally Posted by 747FC
Flying MUC-SFO-HNL all the same day in J. According to my interpretation of the Wiki, it appears that I have Polaris lounge access in SFO after relearning security?

And, for SFOers, am I correct that there is no longer an arrrivals lounge?
No arrivals lounge in SFO. If MUC-SFO is on UA you get PL access in SFO, if it is on LH you do not, but you can use the United Club, or if your travel is more than a few weeks away maybe the new Air Canada MLL in T2 if you don't mind the trek.
747FC likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hch
No arrivals lounge in SFO. If MUC-SFO is on UA you get PL access in SFO, if it is on LH you do not, but you can use the United Club, or if your travel is more than a few weeks away maybe the new Air Canada MLL in T2 if you don't mind the trek.
If MUC-SFO is on LH, then there is no United Club access at SFO, unless OP is *G (either through UA or through another program). SFO-HNL does not include lounge access.
SPN Lifer, uanj and 747FC like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.