Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2023, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by herman1989
Lax - IAh cash ticket
IAH- SYd mileage ticket in polaris
Different tickets and PNR number . Contacted chat to « link ticket « asked about lounge access and they said no.
FlyerTalk banner says eligible for Polaris access in LAX but United website isn’t specific enough to say same ticket just same day routing ?
i wouldn’t have a boarding pass for IAH Syd yet so I guess it makes it difficult
Do I go early to LAX to try or just suck it up
The rules are simple, they refer to a
boarding pass and not the ticket so I would not accept that answer based on the wording.
here it is:

United Polaris business class A boarding pass for travel in United Polaris business class for a long-haul international flight

Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airportsfootnote3 along their eligible same-day routing.

and the footnote reads:
  • Re-entry to the airport after clearing customs is not permitted without further eligible onward travel. Access upon arrival is available to customers who have already made a domestic connection.

sounds crystal clear to me….
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by herman1989
Lax - IAh cash ticket
IAH- SYd mileage ticket in polaris
Different tickets and PNR number . Contacted chat to « link ticket « asked about lounge access and they said no.
FlyerTalk banner says eligible for Polaris access in LAX but United website isn’t specific enough to say same ticket just same day routing ?
i wouldn’t have a boarding pass for IAH Syd yet so I guess it makes it difficult
Do I go early to LAX to try or just suck it up
Why won’t you have a boarding pass? If it’s a same-day connection to Sydney, you should be able to check in 24 hours ahead of time wherever you are. If it’s a document check issue preventing from doing this, a check in agent at LAX can definitely verify and issue the IAH-SYD BP. And agents can check bags from LAX to Sydney via IAH on two separate tickets. You just need to allow an extra 15 minutes at LAX check in to be safe. You do have Polaris Lounge access rights at LAX if you have your IAH-SYD BP available to scan at entry.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 20, 2023 at 9:03 am
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I'm flying into LHR on Eurowings, and then I have a connection at ORD to DEN - all one 1 ticket, all business class.
Do I get access to the Polaris lounge at ORD? I'm not sure if the first leg being on Eurowings makes a difference?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by dimramon
I'm flying into LHR on Eurowings, and then I have a connection at ORD to DEN - all one 1 ticket, all business class.
Do I get access to the Polaris lounge at ORD? I'm not sure if the first leg being on Eurowings makes a difference?
it’s all about your long-haul metal. As long as your inbound flight to ORD is on UA metal, you will have access to Polaris lounge in Chicago.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dimramon
As long as you're flying UA Polaris from LHR to ORD -- and it sounds like you are -- you'll have access to the Polaris Lounge at ORD. They don't care how you got to LHR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Eurowings doesn't service ORD.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
it’s all about your long-haul metal. As long as your inbound flight to ORD is on UA metal, you will have access to Polaris lounge in Chicago.
Originally Posted by jsloan
As long as you're flying UA Polaris from LHR to ORD -- and it sounds like you are -- you'll have access to the Polaris Lounge at ORD. They don't care how you got to LHR.
Yup... flying on UA metal out of LHR. Thanks for the clarification - it will definitely make my long layover more tolereable
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, you'll have Polaris access at LAX.

Five hours is more than enough time to go to In-n-Out. Or you might go to one of the beach towns (Venice or Manhattan).
A 5 hour layover isnt as much time as it might seem on the surface.

There's an In-n-Out close to LAX, so that option is doable.

But, Dont forget, a 5 hour layover means you will likely pre-board at the 4 hour mark.

If your inbound lands at (e.g.,) 9 AM, with a 5 hour layover, you can board at the 1 PM mark,

If you dont have a lot of luggage in tow, you could leave the secure area of the airport, and catch an Uber to Venice. With any luck, you would get there by 10 AM if you hurry.

Stay for 1.5 hours max, because you would want to allow for LAX traffic and general LA traffic to try to get back to LAX by noon or 12:30

That doesnt leave much time to clear security and rush to your boarding gate.

If you have a longer layover, little side trips might be worth it, just do the math in advance and always err on the side of caution!
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I have a 0145 departure on NH out of SFO. Having done a search, my understanding is I will have access to the PL before it closes, but I thought I'd get confirmation from the experts here.

On a related note - will I have trouble going through security earlier in the day? I'll be staying at the GH, so I might pop by in the morning before heading into the city for the day.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I have a 0145 departure on NH out of SFO. Having done a search, my understanding is I will have access to the PL before it closes, but I thought I'd get confirmation from the experts here.

On a related note - will I have trouble going through security earlier in the day? I'll be staying at the GH, so I might pop by in the morning before heading into the city for the day.
The quality of the food (especially buffet) at the SFO PL has deteriorated. Not sure I would waste time with hassle of going to PL before going to city. What would even be the point????
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The quality of the food (especially buffet) at the SFO PL has deteriorated. Not sure I would waste time with hassle of going to PL before going to city. What would even be the point????
I would like to check the SFO location off my list, and I won't have access when I come back for my flight since it'll be closed by then. Thank you for your concern.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:59 am

Why was I allowed in IAH Polaris Lounge?

Flew ATL-IAH-NRT yesterday in F/J classes on an Aeroplan award ticket. At IAH when I went to enter the United Club in terminal E the attendant said I had access to the Polaris Lounge, which surprised me.

I thought only flying Polaris product do you get access.

With that said, tomorrow when I fly NRT-IAH-ATL in J/F will I have access again in IAH?

Thank you

NVM, found the answer in the Wiki.

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Feb 1, 2023 at 5:05 am
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:10 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
RetiredATLATC if you are flying on the UA NRT flight then you will have polaris access in IAH, if on the ANA flight then no
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
RetiredATLATC if you are flying on the UA NRT flight then you will have polaris access in IAH, if on the ANA flight then no
Thank you pmarrsouth. It is the ANA (NH174) flight connecting to a UA flight IAH-ATL.

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Feb 1, 2023 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Thank you pmarrsouth. It is the ANA (NH174) flight connecting to a UA flight IAH-ATL.
No access so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.