Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Thanks everyone for the input!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:16 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I've seen some FAs send Y people to the back even when the toilet was unoccupied, and I've seen some Y people come up and chat with the FAs in the first galley.
I guess it depends on the crew and more specifically the FA in F.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The security directive was distributed to every global airline operating flights into the USA and it's pretty much the same directive for all and states (I am paraphrasing) that passengers must use the lavatory in their ticketed cabin (along with not congregating, etc) when flying to the USA - and this announcement is, I believe, part of the standard post-take-off announcement on all UA flights, international or domestic since I hear it so often, yet hardly ever see it enforced except on a widebody, and only if a FA witnesses someone trying to walk past the curtain. Most foreign airlines have solid curtains that snap into place, or ropes that make coming forward much more difficult.

So the directive is there, it's part of the announcement, and what we can all agree on is it's not enforced, certainly on narrow body flights where getting upfront is much easier than a wide body. Rule or not, I don't want Y passengers coming into F, especially during meal service, and when I'm flying in Y on UA or another airline, it never occurs to me that I can or should consider using the F lav (or putting my bag in the F overhead). If I can follow the rule, then everyone else can too.

Don't be shy - if Y passengers are coming forward, or worse, standing in the F aisle, just hit the call button and ask the FA to instruct them to stop coming forward. I've witnessed some good FA's who remind Y passengers they are not allowed forward, however if the cart is blocking the Y aisle, they can line up behind the curtain and she will allow one at a time forward to use the lav provided no F customer needs it - but these FAs are very rare, and most seem to just sit, read People Magazine and not give a hoot about who is doing what and that is very annoying.
I fly the majority of my domestic flights on narrowbodies in F. As long as they aren't congregating in the aisles, who cares. If you are in the first few rows of Y it is exponentially harder to use the rear lavs.

You make it sound like they are using the bathroom in the aisle while you are trying to eat!
JohnneeO likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by mike2003242
I fly the majority of my domestic flights on narrowbodies in F. As long as they aren't congregating in the aisles, who cares. If you are in the first few rows of Y it is exponentially harder to use the rear lavs.

You make it sound like they are using the bathroom in the aisle while you are trying to eat!
But if the rules aren't enforced, first class passengers might be forced to mix it up with the hoi polloi. Perish the thought!

95% of the time when I see a Y passenger use the F lav, it's because there's drink service happening in the main cabin of a narrowbody aircraft and it's a giant pain to try to get by. Many of those times, I've seen the FA doing the drink service point the passenger to the F lav. As long as it's not creating a backup in the F lav, I don't really care when I'm in F.
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by Sykes; Jul 25, 2018 at 3:03 pm
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I don't believe any aircraft has 1 lav for over 100 Y passengers.
There are times - beverage service - where it's effectively zero lavs, as it can be quite difficult on a full flight for the FAs to find a "passing zone" for a passenger, but don't want to roll the cart all the way to the back. That's when I've seen in most - the person in one of the first few rows of Y who is blocked by a cart and will be for a while.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: -
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A percentage of FAs (not limited to United) have no problem in making stuff up (or extrapolating UA policies into FAA rules).
Not only FAs, CI&gate agents are doing this all the time
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Sykes
But if the rules aren't enforced, first class passengers might be forced to mix it up with the hoi polloi. Perish the thought!

95% of the time when I see a Y passenger use the F lav, it's because there's drink service happening in the main cabin of a narrowbody aircraft and it's a giant pain to try to get by. Many of those times, I've seen the FA doing the drink service point the passenger to the F lav. As long as it's not creating a backup in the F lav, I don't really care when I'm in F.
Common sense. There was a time when CO was headed to converting all 737-800s to a lav behind first. That did not last long.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by BF263533
Common sense. There was a time when CO was headed to converting all 737-800s to a lav behind first. That did not last long.
Ahhh yes, the old Mid-Lav 738s.

Note that the 739s as well as the 757s have lavs forward on the Y cabin.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Garroakul

Not only FAs, CI&gate agents are doing this all the time
We have an entire thread devoted to whoppers made up by UA employees!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mauve
And Thomas Cook A330 seat maps look scary as well.
The lav situation on those is pretty good. Just have to head downstairs.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Please provide a reference.
And might I add this applies only to US flag carriers. On Swiss and Air France, the business ( or first class lav) can sometimes be right next to the cockpit.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
The lav situation on those is pretty good. Just have to head downstairs.
Sweet, I’ve always liked the idea of downstairs toilets for some reason. I’m actually surprised the aren’t more common.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OpenSky
And might I add this applies only to US flag carriers. On Swiss and Air France, the business ( or first class lav) can sometimes be right next to the cockpit.
The rule about congregating applies to foreign-flagged carriers when inbound to the USA as well. Pax can still use the lav adjacent to the flight deck (many US carriers have this, too) but officially congregating is not permitted.
Originally Posted by mauve
Sweet, I’ve always liked the idea of downstairs toilets for some reason. I’m actually surprised the aren’t more common.
It is a trade-off on cargo space for seats on the main deck. The A330 and A340 have an Airbus-supplied option that allows for the lav in a cargo bin setup. It is a semi-permanent install, though, so not easy to swap. Many legacy carriers do/did enough business in belly cargo that it was not considered worthwhile. Lufthansa has the lower lav on its A340-600s and Thomas Cook on the A330s based on a decision that the cargo was not going to happen.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:41 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Ahhh yes, the old Mid-Lav 738s.

Note that the 739s as well as the 757s have lavs forward on the Y cabin.
I'm surprised that no one mentioned this before you did. Numerous times over the years I saw backrow F pax duck into these lavs even though the F lavs were open.
Now that's a crime!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.