Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bad Start to early departure from BOS: delay to tow overnighted a/c to gate.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum

Flying United for the first time in years this morning (hopefully).

Checked on Flight Aware this morning; happy to see flight is on time and inbound aircraft arrived last night.

Sitting here at the gate at T-30 and hear this announcement: “We are sorry for the delay. The plane was parked on the tarmac overnight and needs to be towed over. We’re waiting for a tow truck.”

What? Did someone forget to bring the plane over?

Still no sign of it.

Not impressed.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:06 am

I am by means a UNITED fan, in fact I pretty much dislike the airline, but in fairness that can happen with any airline.
BlueZebra likes this.

Last edited by kmersh; Jul 20, 2018 at 10:06 am Reason: added the word much
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Can you tell us what airport you are in? You may know, but we do not know to which you are referring.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
What? Did someone forget to bring the plane over?
It's likely your gate was used for one or more intervening flights since that plane arrived, and there is a limited amount of tow equipment.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Admittedly a frustration post.

It was Boston. I heard the flight attendant say it happens all the time he works that flight.

At least in seat power worked for 75% of the flight and WiFi for 25%.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Lots of congestion on the ground in Boston. Even if the move-team is hooked up to the airplane ready to tow it to the gate they may not be able to get there for some time due to all the ground traffic.
jsloan, United747 and wxguy like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
This happens consistently at SFO. They know well in advance their plans and have been doing this for eons. If there’s a shortage of ground equipment, buy more ground equipment or plan your schedule for the ground equipment you have. To add insult to injury, I often find these planes have mechanical problems after being towed. What were they doing all night that they couldn’t run basic checks.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:22 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
SFO is my "home" airport, also, and I take many early departures. This used to be a problem in earlier years, before UA reconfigured its Express gates and made more use of Int'l gates; but I have not had this "tow" delay for about 3-4 years at SFO.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
SFO is my "home" airport, also, and I take many early departures. This used to be a problem in earlier years, before UA reconfigured its Express gates and made more use of Int'l gates; but I have not had this "tow" delay for about 3-4 years at SFO.
I've had it happen 3-4 times this year. 2 or 3 of those the planes subsequently went mechanical. I think they were all 753s.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by JAaronT
This happens consistently at SFO. They know well in advance their plans and have been doing this for eons. If there’s a shortage of ground equipment, buy more ground equipment or plan your schedule for the ground equipment you have. To add insult to injury, I often find these planes have mechanical problems after being towed. What were they doing all night that they couldn’t run basic checks.
I'm guessing the issue is more of a lack of personnel than a lack of equipment.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
I'm guessing the issue is more of a lack of personnel than a lack of equipment.
There's a clear solution for that too!
truncated likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JAaronT
There's a clear solution for that too!
Make the passengers push it.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
If you have this problem at SFO, it's normally because the plane was undergoing maintenance overnight, and that maintenance ran late.

Or at least, that's what it's been every time I've had it happen.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Had this happen at SFO in april. Taking the 11 pm redeye to ord. Knew the 772 that we were on arrived at SFO 30 hours prior and get to the gate and sure enough no A/c was there and we were delayed for about an hour. On top of that all of the first class passengers were not allowed to board until after group 4 started boarding.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Make the passengers push it.
That's Spirit's business model.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.