Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap same day round trip anywhere

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Cheap same day round trip anywhere

So it looks like I’ll be short of 1K this year by 8 legs and am curious to know if there is any easy way to search same day round trip flights on any day anywhere looking for the cheapest price. I’m flying out of IAH.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If you still have trips left this year, use the “same day change” to increase your segment count. This will cost you nothing, but just extra time. Otherwise, you can try to originate from AUS or another nearby city. This will give you a minimum of four segments if you fly AUS-IAH-XXX. Good luck.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:37 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Try google flights. Use IAH for the outbound city, leave the return city blank, put in a date - the same one for both the outbound and return, hit search. You should also be able to narrow down by airline.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sb3
Try google flights. Use IAH for the outbound city, leave the return city blank, put in a date - the same one for both the outbound and return, hit search. You should also be able to narrow down by airline.
Or matrix.itasoftware.com , where you can search for an entire month at a time. You do have to put destinations, but you can try like 25 at a time. In the Advanced Controls, put ua+ (at least one ua segment) or ua ua+ (at least 2, etc.) in the routing codes boxes, then f !bc=n in the extension code boxes (to avoid basic economy, which won't earn PQSes). Select a calendar, a date, and 0 nights.
nixande likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
ORD, DFW, ATL, EWR... a bunch of major cities have sub $200 r/t fares for same day travel on UA for random dates throughout the rest of the year. Use Google Flights (set UA as the airline, IAH as the airport, and 0 day trip for the duration).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are looking primarily for segments, there are flights from IAH to GRB/ATW through ORD for around $250 roundtrip in main cabin (4 segments) available in the Fall. There are cheap fares to MSP and PHL in the Fall, but they require non-stop flights. AUS -ABQ with a connection can be done for around $200 roundtrip in main cabin.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you still have trips left this year, use the “same day change” to increase your segment count. This will cost you nothing, but just extra time. Otherwise, you can try to originate from AUS or another nearby city. This will give you a minimum of four segments if you fly AUS-IAH-XXX. Good luck.
I’m unfamiliar with “same day change” and earning extra segments. I’ve made same day changes in the past when I’ve finished early and wanted to catch an earlier flight. I’d like to learn more.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pecck
I’m unfamiliar with “same day change” and earning extra segments. I’ve made same day changes in the past when I’ve finished early and wanted to catch an earlier flight. I’d like to learn more.
You can often add a segment when you do a same-day change; for example, instead of CLE-IAH, you might be able to fly CLE-IAD-IAH and pick up an extra segment.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC

Check out this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-wiki.html

The free SDC benefit is one of the best premier perks, IMO. To @jsloan's point in the previous post, it's not uncommon to SDC from ORD-SFO to ORD-TUS-SFO....

While frowned upon by the FT community, it's also possible to SDC a 2nd time, once you've departed. For example, before boarding your ORD-SFO flight, you could SDC to ORD-TUS-SFO. And then, before boarding your TUS-SFO flight, you could SDC to TUS-LAX-SFO. As others have mentioned, it's an easy way to pick up PQM's and PQS' if you have the time.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
If you are doing a mileage/segment run, IAH-ORD flights are very cheap (under $200). If you are looking to maximize segments, you could look at United Express flights.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
If you are doing a mileage/segment run, IAH-ORD flights are very cheap (under $200). If you are looking to maximize segments, you could look at United Express flights.
My SFO-LAX last weekend became SFO-FAT and FAT-LAX in same E-175 aircraft. Best of all, SFO-FAT and FAT-LAX were upgraded to first class shortly after SDC.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
My SFO-LAX last weekend became SFO-FAT and FAT-LAX in same E-175 aircraft. Best of all, SFO-FAT and FAT-LAX were upgraded to first class shortly after SDC.
+1. The SFO-LAX can be like $50 OW. Do this SDC stuff and you can get your 8 segments in quite literally no time.
nixande likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554
+1. The SFO-LAX can be like $50 OW. Do this SDC stuff and you can get your 8 segments in quite literally no time.
I also SDCed LAX-SFO to LAX-SAN and SAN-SFO. But decided to go home early instead of playing this fun game. Standby successfully for a 2 pm LAX-SFO oversold flight. Adding segments is fairly easy, but requires time and patience.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
How do you go about adding the extra segment? I have a flight tomorrow morning IAH-MSY and back again MSY-IAH tomorrow evening. I looked at the United app and only see the ability to change my flight, not add a segment.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:14 am

How do you go about adding the extra segment? I have a flight tomorrow morning IAH-MSY and back again MSY-IAH tomorrow evening. I looked at the United app and only see the ability to change my flight, not add a segment.
When you go to United app and change your flight, you might see alternate flights available for free. I just tried to do a dummy booking online and United app for IAH-MSY and MSY-IAH, I only saw non-stops, I did not see any connecting flights available. Maybe this city pair does not have any connecting flight option available.

There are many options available when you go from hub to hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.