Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Same day confirmed change no longer proactively offered?

Old Jul 16, 18, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold

I remember that in the past, same-day confirmed change was always an option (if available) during the check-in process (in the app or on the website). However, in recent two trips I do not see such an option popping up, despite the fact that there are plenty of alternative flight options available (with the same booking class). Was there a recent change on this?
Old Jul 16, 18, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
I am traveling on an award ticket today. The App offered me options for tomorrow. So, it is still offered. You can call Reservation to get the desired flights. Good luck.
Old Jul 16, 18, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus View Post
I remember that in the past, same-day confirmed change was always an option (if available) during the check-in process (in the app or on the website). However, in recent two trips I do not see such an option popping up, despite the fact that there are plenty of alternative flight options available (with the same booking class). Was there a recent change on this?
Can we assume that you don't have a basic economy fare that cannot be changed?
Old Jul 16, 18, 7:32 pm

Or are you upgraded (CPU) on your itinerary?
Old Jul 16, 18, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
CPU is irrelevant. You just lose the upgrade on the new flights.
Old Jul 16, 18, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Can we assume that you don't have a basic economy fare that cannot be changed?
Yes, that is correct. I even got my CPU cleared
Old Jul 16, 18, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wcj1 View Post
Or are you upgraded (CPU) on your itinerary?
Well, in one trip I indeed got CPU, but in the other one I did not get CPU
Old Jul 16, 18, 8:19 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.94MM, Marriott/Hiltongold, National EE
I think that whether it offers the option is somewhat random. My experience checking in with the app is that I usually get offered 2 out of 3 of the following: (a) change to a different flight, (b) upgrade flight with $$, or (c) buy PQM. I think there may only be 2 slots in the app for offers, so if all three are available, I randomly get two of them. When no upgrades are available (e.g., I'm already in F or flights are full in F), I get the other two.

Also, I just used the SDC option through the app at check-in last Saturday (2 days ago), so I'm pretty sure it's still active. At least for me.

Try checking in and then tapping your reservation and choosing "Travel options" (I may be misremembering the exact words here). That should give you an explicit menu of options including changing flights -- some of which will be SDC options and others will require extra $$.
Old Jul 16, 18, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
I am traveling on an award ticket today. The App offered me options for tomorrow. So, it is still offered. You can call Reservation to get the desired flights. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply! Good to know that it is not going away. Although I do not particularly need it in my last two trips, it has been a very useful feature for me in the past
Old Jul 16, 18, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by QBK View Post
I think that whether it offers the option is somewhat random. My experience checking in with the app is that I usually get offered 2 out of 3 of the following: (a) change to a different flight, (b) upgrade flight with $$, or (c) buy PQM. I think there may only be 2 slots in the app for offers, so if all three are available, I randomly get two of them. When no upgrades are available (e.g., I'm already in F or flights are full in F), I get the other two.

Also, I just used the SDC option through the app at check-in last Saturday (2 days ago), so I'm pretty sure it's still active. At least for me.

Try checking in and then tapping your reservation and choosing "Travel options" (I may be misremembering the exact words here). That should give you an explicit menu of options including changing flights -- some of which will be SDC options and others will require extra $$.
All 3 options appear at the same time in the mobile app. They did just last week for me before my CPUs cleared as I had SDC'd to new flights.

-RM
Old Jul 17, 18, 12:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
SDC options are still available -- I looked at a couple today
However CPU options for an upgraded itin have always required an agent, but believe recent reports states if in PN, SDC by app / online is now offered (if PN is available) -- but still no for R.without an agent.

It is also possible for a particular situation there is no SDC options, that does happen.
Old Jul 17, 18, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe SDC from R has never been a problem, but you lose the CPU (it SDCs into the old booking code).
Old Jul 17, 18, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I believe SDC from R has never been a problem, but you lose the CPU (it SDCs into the old booking code).
That is accurate. Can confirm as of last week.
Old Jul 17, 18, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
I don't think this is anything new as sometime it just doesn't show up in the app for whatever reason. In those cases if you call in they will usually still give you other options you can switch to or I've even had them build a trip for me in some instances. If you don't see it and need to change give them a call. Also, if you are looking to change and you don't see what you wanted listed as an option either check back later, if there is time, or call in to see what they can do for you.
Old Jul 17, 18, 9:49 am

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC
I don't get it online...or can't find it....or I dunno, it seems to be there if i check in online, but not after (Can't even figure out how to check in again)

APP - has it all, check in - usually offered, re check in - again, usually offered

Search this Thread