Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Same day confirmed change no longer proactively offered?

Same day confirmed change no longer proactively offered?

Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
CPU is irrelevant. You just lose the upgrade on the new flights.
This is not true, or no longer true.

I was flying July 4 DFW-ORD-BDL and CPU had cleared on both segments, so I was in RN. I wanted to fly DFW-IAD-BDL, but it was G0, which is the class I had originally booked. However, when I went to Sameday change, it offered me DFW-IAD-BDL, because RN was available and automatically cleared me into F into both.

I noticed this on another recent trip where I had cleared with a CPU, but my economy class was available. The system wouldn't offer it to me as a sameday change, but I had to call in to get it.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by wcj1

I was flying July 4 DFW-ORD-BDL and CPU had cleared on both segments, so I was in RN. I wanted to fly DFW-IAD-BDL, but it was G0, which is the class I had originally booked. However, when I went to Sameday change, it offered me DFW-IAD-BDL, because RN was available and automatically cleared me into F into both.

I noticed this on another recent trip where I had cleared with a CPU, but my economy class was available. The system wouldn't offer it to me as a sameday change, but I had to call in to get it.
Actually, it is true.

You are the recipient of awful UA IT. They started processing golds and lower in "RN" for CPU but never closed the loop where the SDC process only looks for "RN" on flights to SDC to. For the rest of us "higher" elites (Plat/1K/GS) who still upgrade into "R" we're still forced to SDC to our original ticketed class.

UA needs to fix this bug immediately. If anything they should be offering SDC to the upgraded cabin for the higher elites but I don't think that's their intent either. This is equivalent to GS who upgrade to "PN" and only need "PN" class open when looking for SDC options.

-RM
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Before this, wasn't it just the case that you couldn't SDC (by app) if booked into PN? I assume they took the lazy way of fixing the bug.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Actually, it is true.

You are the recipient of awful UA IT.
Whether or not the process is flawed, the OP was asking if there was a change to SDC. I then asked if the OP had CPU and was told that was irrelevant. But as you also described it as being relevant with your post. Yes, it may be flawed, but I was trying to help the OP and the specific question that was asked. And I still stand by what I am trying to state: The SDC process has not changed recently, but if you have a CPU, it does affect what inventory will show up online/via the app, as you described.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:48 pm

If you check luggage, there will be no SDC option for sure..
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
SDC was offered when I checked in tonight (web) but no options were shown when I clicked the link. Did not really matter to me as we used GPUs and I was not about to switch to a flight where most of the F seats were already gone.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by wcj1

Did you flight post as GZ or something else Z
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:50 pm

It posted as ZG.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:16 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by findark
Before this, wasn't it just the case that you couldn't SDC (by app) if booked into PN? I assume they took the lazy way of fixing the bug.
PN currently SDCs to PN. Do not know if this was always the case.

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I remember that in the past, same-day confirmed change was always an option (if available) during the check-in process (in the app or on the website). However, in recent two trips I do not see such an option popping up, despite the fact that there are plenty of alternative flight options available (with the same booking class). Was there a recent change on this?
For me I only see the SDC button (generally I use iOS UA App check-in channel FWIW) when there are SDC options available. My first thought is there were no comparable flights with the correct fare class, but seeing as how that was not the case in your example I'm left scratching my head.

If you run into a similar situation again it may be worth a phone call to see what an agent can do.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by J.Edward
PN currently SDCs to PN. Do not know if this was always the case.
Interesting, so RN and PN SDC into the same, but R does not. Got to love UA IT.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by cfischer
Interesting, so RN and PN SDC into the same, but R does not. Got to love UA IT.
Yep. Been broken ever since UA started CPU'ing gold and silver elites to "RN". They actually have it better than higher level elites right now. And it's an incredibly easy fix for UA and they (refuse) (won't) make the change so far.

-RM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.