Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Orders 25 E175s and 4 B789s

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
This seems the most logical, especially given UA seems to be shrinking E+ ratio to E- to about 1:2 rather than 1:1 or 1:1.5. Current 789 is 88:116, so dropping 3 rows of E+ for PE would take it to about 1:2 and be consistent with other PE plans.

Given that UA is planning eventually to convert the 789 fleet to Polaris, there seems about zero chance that planes delivered in 2020 would come equipped with the current configuration. They might be the first Polarised 789s, but they'll have those seats almost for sure.
Reasonable analysis on both counts! ^
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Take the E145's out there while you are at it
145s are an order of magnitude more comfortable than CR2s if you score an "A" seat.
coolbeans202 and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't think there's anything else on the market quite as dense as Polaris. Although, now that I think about it, it may have been the TG 77W that had the seats I found most objectionable. Similar to UA, it's the seat entrance that's the biggest problem.
I think it's safe to assume that whatever seats UA puts into the 787-10 will also go into the new 787-9s, so I guess that will give us a pretty good preview.
I agree, as far as the ones I have experienced, UA's Polaris seats may be the tightest. I guess it is trying to achieve the balance between providing enough J seats for upgraders vs paying passengers. If UA choose a more spacious configuration, then the forum will be flooded with people complaining lack of upgrade space and UA is deserting its loyal customers.

On 1-2-1 configuration on the 787, the ones I have been on AC, NH, TG and SQ. All are spacious and I have great experience flying them. I particularly like the Air Canada and Singapore 787 seats and configuration. I have never been a fan of NH seats, but the configuration is spacious. TG is fine and definitely more spacious than Polaris. Of course, none of these airlines are as generous UA in terms of the number of J seats.

Originally Posted by jsloan
It absolutely can be worse than 2-2-2. If I can get a seat in the center of a 787 -- especially in a bulkhead row -- I'll take that over any seat on the 77W.
I have flown more on UA 787 this year than last year (mostly 77W). On certain routes, I prefer more privacy of the 77W. As far as comfort is concerned, 787 center bulkhead J seats is the better choice.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 16, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
PE replaces rows of E+ in the Polaris configurations we’ve seen thus far (772 and planned 77W), so I don’t anticipate the 789 being different.

Given the considerable number of ULH flights in which UA uses the 789, I don’t see the company going any denser with a “true” Polaris configuration.

As for the E75, UA is maxed out on its 76-seater quota, so these 25 frames will either have a different configuration (70 seats) or UA has managed some sort of compromise with an upcoming pilot contract.

(edit to add that the former is confirmed... 70 seats it is...)
70 seats in an E75? Just curious what the benefit of a 70 seat config in this aircraft would be over, say, Cr7 or an E70 (to UA, I mean)? My experience says the extra seats in the current E75s - same in E, but twice as many in F, are basically given as CPUs, or go out empty because all CPUs are accounted for. How would UA break these down by cabin?

And what carrier is currently flying an E75 with 70 seats. What is that like?

Originally Posted by Halo117
Wonder what the config will be. They could make the entire economy section e+ and still require removal of seats. Would be nice not to follow the DL config of the E175-SC.
the only difference between the DL and UA config that I can see is DL has 12 C+ seats and 52 Y, while UA has 16 E+ and 48 Y. F is the same. This pretty much is like other aircraft, where UA has more E+ than DL C+ on similar size aircraft, in some cases, significantly so. Especially if there are are only going to be 70 seats, what’s the point in having more seats with less pitch?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
One thing I am curious to know is if these new 787-9 will be fitted with the "old" business class seats in 2-2-2 or if it will have the new Polaris 1-2-1. Praying for the latter.
It will be the 'real' Polaris seat (the pre-merger purchase contracts are complete, so no more old tech), though I fear it will be a tight squeeze on the 787.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
70 seats in an E75? Just curious what the benefit of a 70 seat config in this aircraft would be over, say, Cr7 or an E70 (to UA, I mean)? My experience says the extra seats in the current E75s - same in E, but twice as many in F, are basically given as CPUs, or go out empty because all CPUs are accounted for. How would UA break these down by cabin?

the only difference between the DL and UA config that I can see is DL has 12 C+ seats and 52 Y, while UA has 16 E+ and 48 Y. F is the same. This pretty much is like other aircraft, where UA has more E+ than DL C+ on similar size aircraft, in some cases, significantly so. Especially if there are are only going to be 70 seats, what’s the point in having more seats with less pitch?
Some of the earlier CRJ-700s are beginning to come off lease and rather than replace them with new CRJ products (the Atmosphere interior is nice, but the its same fuselage as the rest of the CRJs), UA is acquiring more E75s. The current pilot contract limits the number of 76-seaters UA may operate, and it's already at that ceiling. When Delta was in a similar situation last year, Embraer developed a special variant, the E-175SC, which, on paper, is a 70-seater. This allows an operator to replace CR7s, at 70 seats, on a one-for-one basis with an airplane that is fundamentally an E-175. The E-175SC can be converted to a 76-seater with the purchase of a service bulletin from Embraer if UA secures scope relief from the pilots or inducts a new small narrowbody type to trigger more permissible 76-seat frames. In service, the airplane has only 70 seats.

As for the E-170, the last one was delivered in 2015 and is essentially out of production. Embraer did not certify on the 170 some of the latest performance improvements incorporated in more recent 175s, such as the revised winglet design, and as noted above, the 175 length is viewed to be a more marketable size given its better conformance to 76-seat scope in the US.

In reality, UA only needs the CR7 for ASE (SUN/MMH too, but ASE is a much larger, more lucrative operation), so until Pitkin County revisits the wingspan restrictions, UA will need to keep enough CR7s on the UAX contract to support the service.

Last edited by EWR764; Jul 16, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EWR764
It will be the 'real' Polaris seat (the pre-merger purchase contracts are complete, so no more old tech), though I fear it will be a tight squeeze on the 787.
I am quite surprised they did the (overlapped) 2-4-2 on the 787 with the Polaris seats rather than doing a 2-3-2 with a new geometry for the middle block, and am a little concerned about how well they will fit. There is a relatively poor track record of carriers trying to fit 777 designs into the 787 (I'm thinking the pretty awful NZ 787 cabin).

But I'm also soundly with jsloan that the current 2-2-2 cabin in the 787s is perfectly fine by me, and I would actually prefer it to the 77W if I am not traveling alone.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe

United and Delta are both scoped out on 76 seat aircraft so neither can have any more in their fleets at the moment. Embraer compensated for this by creating an E175-SC with 70 seats but can be easily converted to a 76 seat aircraft down the road if scope limits change or if other contract requirements are met to add large RJs. That is the big benefit the carriers see with adding the E175-SC. They can easily convert them to 76 seats if scope changes or if they add a new mainline narrow body aircraft.

See article from Flight Global for additional info: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...175-sc-441489/

Currently, Skywest is flying E175-SCs for Delta and all they really did was remove six E- seats from the back of the aircraft.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...er-175-sc.html
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I am quite surprised they did the (overlapped) 2-4-2 on the 787 with the Polaris seats rather than doing a 2-3-2 with a new geometry for the middle block, and am a little concerned about how well they will fit. There is a relatively poor track record of carriers trying to fit 777 designs into the 787 (I'm thinking the pretty awful NZ 787 cabin).

But I'm also soundly with jsloan that the current 2-2-2 cabin in the 787s is perfectly fine by me, and I would actually prefer it to the 77W if I am not traveling alone.
The issue is that going to a different geometry with solo center seats defeats the consistent density with the outgoing configuration, which is perhaps the main advantage of the design. Losing 1 seat for every 2 rows brings the product roughly to reverse herringbone density, if not slightly worse.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Well, the good thing is we will know about the 789 seat soon enough, as the 78J is going to have the same dimensions as the one going on that plane, and I think(?) UA gets their first one later this year.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
E175 replacing CRJ-700 - I HOPE they start at IAD with Mesa
I wish they'd get rid of all the CR-200s before replacing the CR-7s.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I wonder why the regional carriers are/were incentivized to fly a definitively crappier plane vs. the E145, given they have the same number of seats...
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I wonder why the regional carriers are/were incentivized to fly a definitively crappier plane vs. the E145, given they have the same number of seats...
Maybe they just didn't want to pay for upgrade training, but United should force their hand.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Agreed, but I am going by the press release - the E75 are replacing CR7, then maybe CR7 replace CR2 etc....
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
On certain routes, I prefer more privacy of the 77W. As far as comfort is concerned, 787 center bulkhead J seats is the better choice.
Purely for seat comfort, I would go with the IPTE seat. But personally, I'm willing to trade a little comfort for privacy on a long haul, and given the privacy advantages, the Polaris seat is still comfortable enough for me to choose it - by a wide margin - over either IPTE or the B/E Diamond seat. Also, while the Polaris seat itself is a little tight on width, I find the layout, with nice shelves to both sides, by far the most convenient for spreading stuff out of any seat in the UA fleet since they retired the 744s.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:07 pm

Agreed, but I am going by the press release - the E75 are replacing CR7, then maybe CR7 replace CR2 etc....
Unfortunately not... with fuel back on the rise I don't see United continuing to grow the 50-seater fleet past what it has already committed to, but the current pilot contract necessitates this order to be a one-for-one replacement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.