Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Talk about a price increase, or am I doing something wrong?

Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Been looking at flights the past 3 days.
ALB -> SJD 1/7/19
SJD -> ALB 1/14/19

the "big 3" have had:
Delta = $1,310 for First
United = 1,137 for First
AA = 1,283 for First

United had the best flight (ie, routing, etc.)

I've been checking prices on the website, without logging in.
Today, I got sticker shock.
United lists the same flight for almost $4,000

Tried several diff. computers/ISP and browser just to see.

The other airlines still have the "same" price.
Now, I know prices fluctuate, but this one just seems very odd.

I vaguely recall running into something similar last year or so where a few days the price tripled and then waited a few more days and it went back to "normal".

But does United really think that flight can command $4,000? (OK, it was like $3,9something)

or am I searching wrong?

Last edited by hurnik; Jul 13, 2018 at 8:09 pm Reason: Put the wrong month in. Too much crack
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Is it possible to book flights more than 365 days out
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hurnik
ALB -> SJD 7/7/19
SJD -> ALB 7/14/19
UA isn't selling flights that far in advance.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
There is no ticketing volume this far in advance, so the prices are a bit irrelevant.

UA has recently made some RM changes that casual observation suggests they've increased airfares for way-in-advance ticketing.

Wait until 2 months out to see what the fares looks lik. The schedules and equipment aren't even really set until ~3 months out.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:09 pm

I've seen this on US - UK flights. Was prepared to book back in January for a September trip in Polaris. UA was $11K, everyone else was around $5K. UA came down about 90 days out.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA isn't selling flights that far in advance.
OH jeez I screwed up
1/7/19 - 1/14/19

I'll edit the OP.
Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is it possible to book flights more than 365 days out
No, I totally screwed up when I typed the dates in. Had "7" on the brain for some reason.
1/7/19 - 1/14/19 is what the dates were.
Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by mduell
There is no ticketing volume this far in advance, so the prices are a bit irrelevant.

UA has recently made some RM changes that casual observation suggests they've increased airfares for way-in-advance ticketing.

Wait until 2 months out to see what the fares looks lik. The schedules and equipment aren't even really set until ~3 months out.
Thanks, although I typed the wrong dates.
1/7/19 - 1/14/19 were the correct dates.

Although I know that's still far in advance for UA (I'm surrpised they don't eventually cancel the flight all together since it actually gets you there on the same day you travel). All their other times are 2-day travel plans.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jul 13, 2018 at 11:20 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hurnik
I've been checking prices on the website, without logging in.
Today, I got sticker shock.
United lists the same flight for almost $4,000
You're not doing anything wrong. It's some sort of weird inventory/pricing error on united.com.

If you use googleflights, then click through to book on UA, you can get it for $1302.59.

search using united.com:

using googleflights:

onthesam and laxmillenial like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EF is showing all F buckets zeroed out on 1/14. If return is changed to 1/15, EF shows C6 D6 Z6 P6. Don't know why UA has zeroed out the fare buckets, but I'm pretty confident it has nothing to do with OP's searches. Google flights seems to think there is D bucket available, but EF says otherwise. Searching on united.com yields a broken fare on the return (see the fare rules), with a DNA0A9EY fare on SJD-CHI and a WAA2AKFN (P) fare on CHI-ALB due to the fact that there is no married segment through fare bucket availability.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 13, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
EF is showing all F buckets zeroed out on 1/14. If return is changed to 1/15, EF shows C6 D6 Z6 P6. Don't know why UA has zeroed out the fare buckets, but I'm pretty confident it has nothing to do with OP's searches. Google flights seems to think there is D bucket available, but EF says otherwise. Searching on united.com yields a broken fare on the return (see the fare rules), with a DNA0A9EY fare on SJD-CHI and a WAA2AKFN (P) fare on CHI-ALB due to the fact that there is no married segment through fare bucket availability.

Exactly - it’s married segment coming into play (or almost the opposite - because the availability on the individual segments is higher than when searched combine. As previously noted you can use google flights to ‘overcome’ this. Or search multi city on ua as alb-sjd sjd-ord ord-alb
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
EF is showing all F buckets zeroed out on 1/14.
Originally Posted by jmanirish
it’s married segment coming into play (or almost the opposite - because the availability on the individual segments is higher than when searched combine.
I actually don't believe this can be explained. It's just a flat out error by the search engine.

The inventory exists, otherwise you couldn't book with a gf click-through.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The inventory is not really there per se; SJD-ALB is J4 C0 D0 because of the 8-seat 737 silliness that's booked 4/8.

Google Flights is managing something interesting with its delegation logic. It delegates the second segment to E, allowing the use of the ENA0A9FN D fare on the standalone first segment. The delegation appears to split the segments (SJD-ORD is J4 C4 D4 Z0). You can get both return segments in D on ua.com by inserting a validation break, or just wait for them to assign a real aircraft and release more J space.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by findark
The inventory is not really there per se; SJD-ALB is J4 C0 D0 because of the 8-seat 737 silliness that's booked 4/8.
Nice detective work.

A built in inventory error deriving from use of the (nonexistent) placeholder aircraft.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually don't believe this can be explained. It's just a flat out error by the search engine.

The inventory does not exist for getting an F seat on both flights (as you can see from EF inventory display) on a single fare. The Google Flights quote apparently gets around this by booking the ORD-ALB flight segment in coach.

Originally Posted by jmanirish

Exactly - it’s married segment coming into play (or almost the opposite - because the availability on the individual segments is higher than when searched combine. As previously noted you can use google flights to ‘overcome’ this. Or search multi city on ua as alb-sjd sjd-ord ord-alb
It's not the opposite of married segment logic, it is exactly married segment logic. The ability to purchase a particular fare on a multiple segment itin like this is dictated by the bucket availability in the married segments, not the individual segments. You don't seem to understand how married segment logic works.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2018 at 11:29 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

My question is whether the GF fare remains when you actually click through to book. I’ve had several times when I could push through the itin to UA but got either a price change or fare not available message when I clicked to the booking screen.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
It's not the opposite of married segment logic, it is exactly married segment logic. The ability to purchase a particular fare on a multiple segment itin like this is dictated by the bucket availability in the married segments, not the individual segments. You don't seem to understand how married segment logic works.
Yikes - why attack me. Your explanation isn’t what married segment logic is, just how it plays into fare purchases. My comment was only based on personal experience - that I typically see married segment logic applied by UA to provide lower fare buckets for certain connecting pax, than for those booking only the non-stop alone (because the opposite can be ignored/isn’t enforced). Here it’s not sensical because one can ignore the logic and book a ENA0A9FN SJD-ALB by searching it as a multi city (but again, even though it’s searched via multi city, UA is selling a D single fare through SJD-ALB, even though it’s D0 with married segment).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.