Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
And if that kid screamed that you touched him during the flight, you would have been hauled off in cuffs.
In fact, if OP had appeared to be biologically male, the arrangement described in this post would not have been allowed on BA, QF, VS, or a few other carriers at various times over the years (the policy is not well documented and changes after occasional lawsuits).

United does not have such a policy.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Having an annoying pax next to you isnt really anything to complain to UA about. I would complain about the IFE being broken though.
You are also under no obligation to entertain the passenger next to you.

As for the parent and child not sitting together, I am not aware of any rules that require a parent and child to sit together. The minor is not "unaccompanied" since they are indeed traveling together.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by steveo
hi Flyertalk. Just got off ord to pek and too my delight I had a maybe 8 year old boy sitting next to me the whole flight while his dad was in Polaris. I had the distinct pleasure of entertaining this kid who wouldn’t shut up for 12 hours. Should I complain about this?

Also the the ife didn’t have sound. I will be composing about that!
I wish I'd thought of that!! Just bought 3 Polaris tickets 1 for wife and 2 for the kids on the same route!. Could have saved 3 GPUs.
eng3 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:49 am
RNE

Originally Posted by steveo
Just to clarify...They knew it wasn’t my kid.
But they won't know you were disturbed by the tot unless you say something. Some travelers might have found the kid adorable. Obviously you did not. Therefore, say something like this in your best Johnny Bravo voice: "Pardon me, air waitress. The boy seated next to me seems to require attention from his parent. I'm doing the best I can, but I'm not his parent. Perhaps you could see to his needs from here on out. Or arrange to have his parent do so."
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What's the going rate for professional babysitting services these days? $20/hr? You could have written up an invoice for $240 and handed it to the father rather loudly and demanded payment for your time.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
What the heck has happened with personal accountability? Jeez, it doesn't matter if the person is 8 or 80 or in between. If the passenger next to is bothering you, do what I do - firmly say, Stop it already! Enough!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What the heck has happened with personal accountability? Jeez, it doesn't matter if the person is 8 or 80 or in between. If the passenger next to is bothering you, do what I do - firmly say, Stop it already! Enough!

The child is no different than an adult, in that everyone belongs to someone. If that someone isn't on the plane, or god forbid, in the same cabin, does it really matter? Why do you assume the problem, child or otherwise will be managed to your liking?

Can we move on!? This feels like YIC or cracking bowls all over again....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 17, 2018 at 4:06 pm Reason: Discuss the issues; not the poster(s)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Imstevek
The child is no different than an adult, in that everyone belongs to someone. If that someone isn't on the plane, or god forbid, in the same cabin, does it really matter? Why do you assume the problem, child or otherwise will be managed to your liking?

Can we move on!? This feels like YIC or cracking bowls all over again....
Small children are very different from adults, and yes it does matter. I am not an unpaid babysitter, and neither is the OP. If the child sits there silently and doesn't ask for or need anything, great, that's fine - but if they need to be supervised and managed by a stranger because the responsible parent has decided a business class seat is more important, that is not acceptable for either the seatmate or the child and speaks volumes about the parent.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 17, 2018 at 4:07 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Of course, an 8 year old surely has the same maturity level as most adult. Sure, - just telling a kid to stop it already always works [said no one who has ever dealt with kids ever]. In fact, I bet the reason kids continually do things parents don’t want them to is simply because said parents never, ever had the thought to tell them ‘stop it already’. That surely will simply stop the behavior.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Sounds like not the best flight for you, but be happy that if you did make the kid feel somewhat comfortable, you both got to your destination and life goes on.......

(a) karma hopefully comes back to you
(b) there are probably some folks would have been happy to "adopt": a kid for a few hours who couldn't have kids, and the plus side is you have a kid you can effectively give back after the flight.
(c) yes, if you feel like it, a nice note on the policy that enabled whatever to happen was actually valid, to customer service
(d) you can't control crappy parenting, you can only control how you look after the situation
(e) assuming, as it sounds, you likely made more of a positive impact on that kids life than the parent. That's more than I did today at work.

I'll buy you a beer if I bump into you!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe

just telling a kid to stop it already always works [said no one who has ever dealt with kids ever].
Always works for me - when I say it, they don't take it as optional.

It is an 8 year old - why are so many so scared to confront - this isn't like a drunk 300lb linebacker being belligerent.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:59 pm

I would have ordered a couple of adult drinks and fall asleep with my noise cancelling headphones with my eyeshades on and call it a night cap literally. If the child bothered my sleep I would have gotten up and talked with the pursuer and work out a solution so that I can get my zzzzzzzzzzzs.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by azepine00
imho you should be thankful you have 8 yo kid rather than some 300lb dude seated next to you for 12 h

what exactly did you have to do to "entertain" that kid?

ime 8 yo alone is gonna be very shy and get completely consumed by ipad or ife watching... did his ife have sound?
agree
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
... As for the parent and child not sitting together, I am not aware of any rules that require a parent and child to sit together. The minor is not "unaccompanied" since they are indeed traveling together.
There is no question that seating in separate cabins creates a UCM issue per UA policy in the CoC.

Unaccompanied Minor means a Child/Minor 5 to 14 years of age when traveling alone or not accompanied on the same flight and in the same compartment by a companion Passenger at least 18 years of age or with a Legal Guardian or parent.
Whether or not the issue is enforced does not change the clear separate cabin statement. One can disagree that statement is needed, but it is there.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Yeah, I would have told a FA about this issue. Call me paranoid, but I would not want to sit next to a unaccompanied juvenile under no circumstances given today's climate. Many parents today think their kid is the next leader of the free world and entitled to everything and all accommodation. I grew up in the sit down, shut up and behave yourself generation. I would be afraid of being accused of something or overstepping a boundary of perceived tolerance. I realize I am in many ways archaic, but still there is decorum and general civility. What parent sits out of sight of the child and expects to monitor them?
FlyingNone and iluv2fly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.