Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
With the dad here. All’s fair in love & lieflat
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:02 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by steveo
hi Flyertalk. Just got off ord to pek and too my delight I had a maybe 8 year old boy sitting next to me the whole flight while his dad was in Polaris. I had the distinct pleasure of entertaining this kid who wouldn’t shut up for 12 hours. Should I complain about this?

Also the the ife didn’t have sound. I will be composing about that!
So did you managed to see this great dad? Would love to know his story about leaving the kiddo, LOL
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chipmaster
So did you managed to see this great dad? Would love to know his story about leaving the kiddo, LOL
Yea so when I went to sit down he was in the middle seat behind the kiddo and I guess giving him a pep talk. The poor kid had just a stack of Pokemon Cards which I should have pillaged for compensation. The dad did show up once during the flight to give the kid some food from Polaris.... of course we had to figure out what to do with the plate which the flight attendants did not want back. The dad was about 5 foot 6, 120 pounds. Complete waste of a polaris seat if you ask me. Luckily the kid fell asleep on landing so the dad had to wait for everyone else to clear out to retrieve the kid. He was standing at the transition between business first and global first giving everyone the stare of death.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2018 at 10:17 am Reason: unneeded descriptive comment removed, FT rule 12.2
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:34 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Yea so when I went to sit down he was in the middle seat behind the kiddo and I guess giving him a pep talk. The poor kid had just a stack of Pokemon Cards which I should have pillaged for compensation. The dad did show up once during the flight to give the kid some food from Polaris.... of course we had to figure out what to do with the plate which the flight attendants did not want back. The dad was about 5 foot 6, 120 pounds. Complete waste of a polaris seat if you ask me. Luckily the kid fell asleep on landing so the dad had to wait for everyone else to clear out to retrieve the kid. He was standing at the transition between business first and global first giving everyone the stare of death.
I guess Polaris is better suited for big fat overweight {person} seem to be the dominate type there, is it cause or effect, LOL

I guess when he was there you didn't know he was Polaris or you could have asked him when he came back for a nice Ice Cream Sundae, or Lays/Dove/Instant Noodles or other snack from Polaris as babysitting fee ;D

On the way out you could have said " Lucky You " "Poor Kid" or worse

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2018 at 10:19 am Reason: quote updated to reflect moderator edit; response to deleted content removed
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA CX DL KE OZ*G PR QF QR; SPG IHG MR HH
If the dad is that scrawny, maybe the kid isn't 8 years old at all. Perhaps 12 years old or older, paying adult fare, that's why UA didn't tag him as an unaccompanied minor.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2018 at 10:20 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by spin88
+1. In Japan in particular, but also in Hong Kong and parts of Europe with good public transportation kids go about their own business. Get on a train/subway in Japan and there will be 8-9-10 year olds off by themselves. We will let our kids (now 11 and 14) go off on their own in Hong Kong or Japan, they know their way around. And in San Francisco we know lots of kids who take the bus/light rail around, starting at about 11-12 y/o.

Not defending the parent here - it was too long of a flight to leave a kid by themselves - but kids don't need constant supervision if they are taught how to be independent.
The kid was on the same plane as a parent. Even separated in the plane by a cabin, it sounds much safer than letting a kid of this age to play on his/her own or with friends around bodies of water at or near their own homes/schools/activities where they spend hours on end doing what kids do. While I think the parent should have done an informal downgrade/swap with the child's seatmate/OP, I think the safety excuse is just a bad excuse. There aren't that many places in the world as safe as being on the OP's commercial flight plane.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:17 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
polarisis
Lovely! Sounds like an unpleasant disease....
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Before the change in UM, my 12 year old flew alone all the time. No big deal. I have also put teenagers in the back while my wife and I sat in front. 3 out of 4 times, the FAs have come up to my wife and commented what a pleasure it was to have them aboard.

I would much rather sit next to an 8 year-old than an corpulent businessman who takes up both armrests and needs to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes. Kids are great.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even separated in the plane by a cabin, it sounds much safer than letting a kid of this age to play on his/her own or with friends around bodies of water at or near their own homes/schools/activities where they spend hours on end doing what kids do.
Tell that to Jodie!

Last edited by enviroian; Jul 14, 2018 at 10:44 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I think OP is the 8-year old kid, and is posting here to get back at his dad for leaving him stuck in coach.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by narvik
I think OP is the 8-year old kid, and is posting here to get back at his dad for leaving him stuck in coach.
Given the apparent incessant yapping, the OP's post is way too short for it to have been written by the 8-year-old.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:56 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That would be the perfect time to increase the kid's vocabulary. If only you could then see his father's expression when he starts spouting those words...
The father may not care at all about the kid's vocabulary.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Wow that was a lot to read.

It seems like OP's true gripe is being seated next to an annoying passenger, and that the age of the pax or that daddy was on board is less relevant. On UA, OP could have been seated next to noisy/bothersome UM (with or without parent on board), or perhaps a compulsive talker with a legit neurological disorder, or even an adult who has trouble picking up verbal or nonverbal cues indicating that OP wasn't interested in discussion (similar to the 8 year old).

FWIW, on certain OALs (major carriers), OP would not have been seated next to UM, as UM will only be seated next to female pax.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by onthesam
FWIW, on certain OALs (major carriers), OP would not have been seated next to UM, as UM will only be seated next to female pax.
Really, even these days? It seems unfair to female pax dropped into that situation (although I'd be happy with that policy, not being female myself).
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:19 am

The time to complain about the dad would have been on the flight, if you were adversely affected. Otherwise chalk it up to showing a child a act of kindness. The only thing complaint worthy to United is then non working IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.