Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
+1. I spend a $100k a year on air tickets. UA used to get nearly all of it. Now they get less than 10%. I used to love UA. They had a great hard and soft product and a great FF program. But spin88 hits the nail exactly on the head.....they simply are no longer a good choice for high spend customers who fly a lot.
If you are spending that much on air travel per year I understand your frustration with chasing the UA dragon, and not feeling you're getting anything worthwhile.

Living in NYC close to the Holland Tunnel, flying out of EWR with GS and Pre Check (super expedited security screening) and Global Entry I probably save 2 hours a trip with UA. Norm for me on return from Asia/Europe with carry only - being back in my apartment 45 minutes after touchdown. If I fly 20 trips a year, that is 40 hours I get back (in theory) than if I held a lower status.

So even if GS is not what it once was, if it saves you time thru the airport, to the tune of 40 hours per year, that's a benefit which is hard to monetize. Depends on you.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by aero0729
Try flying Delta.. im sure you will love the product
*Diamond upgrades never clear (doing way better as a 1K)
*Food is gross - I haven't had an edible meal in 1st on DL this year. United snack flights are better than DL transcends (except for D1)
*Service on DL absolutely sucks... most overrated airline on planet earth. Board before you clear your upgrade.... or empty seats in 1st??? DL flips you the finger. Left me in the back #1 on the UG list with an empty seat next to my companion. Customer Relations supported the gate agents decision to avoid delay . flight left 8 min early. This is consistent with DL , UA ALWAYS comes onboard
*First class seats... on DL its "LCC" in 1st with the tightest pitch and no recline
*Award availability might not be great on UA.. but on DL, those Skymiles and seeing DL prices for last minute awards will make you puke. 120K Delta miles one way for last minute JFK-LHR flight. UA was round trip for the same price.

Trust me ... enjoy GS and avoid DL. IT wont be faster to get to LGA.. the traffic blows and the flight schedules aren't that great. Its a regional airport. JFK... DL Terminal 4 is much worse than EWR. Seems like you have to walk forever. Oh and lounges you can eat food in? Not sure I understand what you mean... the salad with the big bottles of Hidden Valley ranch is food you would eat? Or the DL Skyclubs enjoyable rubber chicken ? DL has no International departure lounge. You would miss that Polaris lounge for sure.
You speak from first hand Diamond experience and (I'm only Platinum) agree it's over rated, esp out of NYC.

I keep the status because it's easy to earn via the credit card and is useful for situations where UA flight isn't convenient, or there's a fare savings. I also find there's more advance upgrade space transcon on Delta, but as a GS you get the PN space so that doesn't matter.

I'm also guessing like me as much as DL has its over rated tendencies, it's still better than dealing with AA.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jul 14, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by adambrau

Living in NYC close to the Holland Tunnel, flying out of EWR with GS and Pre Check (super expedited security screening) and Global Entry I probably save 2 hours a trip with UA. Norm for me on return from Asia/Europe with carry only - being back in my apartment 45 minutes after touchdown. If I fly 20 trips a year, that is 40 hours I get back (in theory) than if I held a lower status.

So even if GS is not what it once was, if it saves you time thru the airport, to the tune of 40 hours per year, that's a benefit which is hard to monetize. Depends on you.
With Gloal Entry comes with TSA Pre check feature, you don’t need GS to save the 40 hours you described above. It is Global Entry and Pre Check that are saving you time not GS. Yes, I do understand there is a dedicated GS line for pre check at EWR. The time saving between regular Pre Check line and GS Pre Check line is less than 10 min.

That being said, based on my more than a decade of GS experience, I noticed minimum downgrades. Without GS, I’d rather have minimum work travel.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

With Gloal Entry comes with TSA Pre check feature, you don’t need GS to save the 40 hours you described above. It is Global Entry and Pre Check that are saving you time not GS. Yes, I do understand there is a dedicated GS line for pre check at EWR. The time saving between regular Pre Check line and GS Pre Check line is less than 10 min.

That being said, based on my more than a decade of GS experience, I noticed minimum downgrades. Without GS, I’d rather have minimum work travel.

At EWR they walk you right to the front of the Pre-Check line. I assume I can arrive an hour later for departure due to this feature.

OK granted returning GE can get you from plane to cab in 15 minutes. And as you point out, is not a GS but GE perk.

Still 20 hours or more a year at home count's a lot, for me.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Naw! GE has nothing to do with GS. And going through GS check-in takes you to the head of the pre-check, which typically means you get to cut in front of 2 or 3 people. Saves you a minute or two max.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
GS has only been devalued for a handful of people in the last few years --- the biggest devaluations have been loosing the ability to force certain things and also the loss of inherited status .... It's still a great status to have, particularly if you have done your homework. However you are still better off as a 1K who knows what they are doing than a GS who doesn't - but that's always been the case

Last edited by ermintrude; Jul 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
What I have notices the most over the last year is the amount of times I call in and I do not get an actual GS agent. Its like GS now is just the first in the line to someone "better" than most.

However, the screw ups on last second changes have increased massively. Just yesterday I had an agent tell me no seats were left on a last flight out when I tried to make a change to go home to DEN a day early. I was looking at the app when I called it in and saw it was available. I thanked her for her time, and she asked me if I needed a rental car in DEN when I got there. Then I just booked it direct on the App and called in the refund after I got someone good on the phone.

But yeah, I have seen a decrease in service this year especially on the phone.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:10 pm

At EWR they walk you right to the front of the Pre-Check line. I assume I can arrive an hour later for departure due to this feature.

OK granted returning GE can get you from plane to cab in 15 minutes. And as you point out, is not a GS but GE perk.

Still 20 hours or more a year at home count's a lot, for me.
Living close to EWR is also not a GS perk.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:10 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by spin88
I guess I am in the enviable position of just paying for F if the flight is over about 3 hours or so (unless F is priced crazy) and I really can't see the benefits - to me at least - of giving UA my business to get GS. But the entire point of GS is to gain/retain the business of those who can/will pay for more expensive tickets.
/snip/
I avoid them to Hawaii (77HD) or due to the new 77W and the tight 787. At this point the hard product takes UA off my radar for family trips (unless they will give me 3-4 J seats, which is not gonna happen) and when I am paying for J or PE why would I choose United?
Being IAH based with family in DEN and SFO with travel I can often knock out with a long day trip (e.g. IAH > SFO in the early AM / SFO > IAH and back home ~11pm) the schedule + P fare price point (generally ~$300-$360 ex. IAH for myself) puts UA front and center for myself.

Moving beyond my unique travel patterns to a more general observation about UA, I've found UA to generally to offer a decent advance purchase, restricted domestic F product. This comes at the expense of comp upgrades and UA committing a higher number of their domestic F seats to, what I assume to be, lower yielding PRASM fares and I hope UA's savvy enough to make sure they're not displacing premium international customers for lack of a front-cabin domestic connection...but that's for another thread.

spin - you asked why would someone fly UA when paying for J. Beyond an unflexible schedule constraint or misplaced excessive brand loyalty, the reasons grow thin. But to play devil's advocate for a moment, I've found UA's discount-fare front cabin product to be a solid offering for both domestic and international travel. Couple this with banks' entry into the loyalty game where you can score $0.015 / point (i.e. CSR or AX Biz Plat w/ 35% kicker) and all of a sudden you've got a paid offering looking really similar to the traditional award offering.

Case and point: I'm looking at a $2.7k P fare IAH > AMS > IAH later this year. In round numbers, I'll need ~175k bank points to ticket that and I'll be paying a 55k point premium when compared to a traditional 120k award. Let's also say I'll earn ~28k in UA RDMs for the paid option, which shrinks the delta to ~27k points over an award, not making any allotment for EQDs/EQMs/lifetime/etc. earnings. Moreover, if I really wanted to get cute, I suppose I could route onto LH and apply a GPU to go from P > F, with this option but notwithstanding such one-off awards my point is the new front cabin product (read: new Polaris seat/lounge /new domestic F) UA offers at their discounted F price point strikes me as reasonable.

Am I paying J prices? Absolutely not. If I were would I be on UA? ....probably not. Do I feel like I'm getting value for P? Yes. Would I blindly book a UA P fare without shopping the comps? Absolutely not...as an EXP I'm loving those QR R fares when offered!

Finally, I say this with the understanding like you, I too would book away from Y in UA. I also generally book away from Polaris in UA if it's not the new seat unless there's some deal which would otherwise compel me to book UA (e.g. using my GPUs to upgrade Y > C awards).

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I also find there's more advanced upgrade space transcon on Delta, but as a GS you get the PN space so that doesn't matter.

I'm also guessing like me as much as DL has its overrated tendencies, it's still better than dealing with AA.
I've found PN to be more readily available in the wild domestically but not nearly as much internationally. I'll see domestic flights where with PNx R0 but generally not so much on the international flights. That said, with P being open, and assuming your booking timeline allows you to hit the requirements to score the fare, PN/R become irrelevant. Especially if a 3rd party bank or employer is covering the cost.

As far as AA, I've found their program almost is like the reverse of UA for myself. With UA I'll often aim to book far enough out to score a P/PN. AA is generally my go to when I need a cheap Asia > US fare I can buy and upgrade at the last minute (HKG > LAX/DFW is generally my go to and can generally find space 1-2 days prior to departure). As a UA GS I can access upgrade on an award but as an AA EXP I can upgrade any Y ticket to C. Don't know which is better - or even if one can objectively answer that question - but I've found AA to be useful for filling the last-minute-ex-Asia-cheap-Y-upgrade need I tend to have a few times a year.

Not to take this to far off topic, but given....
  • No more GF
  • No more GFL
  • Relatively inexpensive domestic F fares
  • Never book paid or award economy tickets anymore
  • Rarely need to speak to any kind of agent
  • Access to United Clubs with Chase card
  • Totally noncompetitive international premium product (last two trips were CX and JL F)
  • Massive devaluation of mileage redemption for premium partner awards
  • Have Pre-Check, GE and ABTC
  • Used to be GS, now Platinum.....
I have to say that other than getting to board 15 seconds ahead of other F pax, I see zero difference in treatment or benefit in being GS even compared to Platinum.
My take on GS is the real intangible value of the program lies in being able to secure assistance from employees when you really need it.

Earlier this year I was connecting through SFO to HKG and my inbound took an ATC delay. Got to the gate with a - 3-minute connection but a GS agent was there in the jetway. We hustled down the stairs, jumped into the car, drove to the connecting gate, ran up the stairs, and the GA closed the door immediately after I boarded. The point here is I really needed to make that flight and GS was able to coordinate it (as well as offer multiple protection options). UA hustled, I made my connection, and I appreciate the effort it took to make it happen.

Returning to the OP's question as to the slow demise of the program: my take is no, not really from my viewpoint of being either 1K or GS for ~the past 4 years. I do sense UA's tried to focus the program on the experience (e.g. scrambling to allow you to make your connection) and away from the hard goodies (upgrades) but I see this more as an industry trend and less of a specific GS program issue.
UA_Flyer and wxguy like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And going through GS check-in takes you to the head of the pre-check, which typically means you get to cut in front of 2 or 3 people. Saves you a minute or two max.
The pre-check line can be 20+ minutes at EWR.
LimeyFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:16 am

Naw! GE has nothing to do with GS. And going through GS check-in takes you to the head of the pre-check, which typically means you get to cut in front of 2 or 3 people. Saves you a minute or two max.
I am not going to argue what the times savings are of holding GS status and Pre-Check for departures - it obviously depends on time of day and other factors. The reality is that I can plan to arrive at EWR for departures 1 hour before int'l flight time and never worry about cutting it too close. If I was 1K with Pre-check I would definitely plan to arrive 2 hours before STD. YMMV.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Living close to EWR is also not a GS perk.
You missed the point. The fact that I can get to EWR faster by road or rail than LGA or JFK from where I live in Manhattan is not the benefit of GS. The fact that I can arrive 1 hour before int'l departures, ISO of 2 hours, is the perk. Is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2018 at 2:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:21 am

You missed the point. The fact that I can get to EWR faster by road or rail than LGA or JFK from where I live in Manhattan is not the benefit of GS. The fact that I can arrive 1 hour before int'l departures, ISO of 2 hours, is the perk. Is that such a difficult concept to grasp?
Yes. I can get to the airport 1 hour before an international departure. I don't live in New York. I live near an airport that isn't a hot mess like EWR.
Is that a perk?

You know there are options other than EWR. I don't know if you know but there are other airlines, other airports, that might take you also to the same destination. Like, LAX, SFO, SEA. Maybe even DEN. Wow, there are a lot of these things called international airports.

But I guess if you have no option other than EWR, because you have to fly UA, then yes, that is a perk.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I would venture a guess that is a result of other people buying into the seats while the economy continues to boom and not a change on UA's part of how they allocate upgrades.
This is exactly what I do. If I'm not in a paid F seat from the start, I'll buy up at check in (or before) if the price is right and I really want insure a seat up front, rather than putting my hopes and dreams into an upgrade clearing. I'm only a 1k and have good success on most routes, but hub to hub? Forget about it. Usually too low on the status pole to have success unless its late at night or midweek or something. I guess I've been conditioned to do exactly what UA and the carriers want- to spend, spend, spend on the extras and higher priced fares.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yes. I can get to the airport 1 hour before an international departure. I don't live in New York. I live near an airport that isn't a hot mess like EWR.
Is that a perk?

You know there are options other than EWR. I don't know if you know but there are other airlines, other airports, that might take you also to the same destination. Like, LAX, SFO, SEA. Maybe even DEN. Wow, there are a lot of these things called international airports.

But I guess if you have no option other than EWR, because you have to fly UA, then yes, that is a perk.
Live in Manhattan and I can't change that. I value maximum time home and no other airline offers me more of that than UA. As I stated above, my regular destinations are Frankfurt, London and Hong Kong. It's a no brainer.

Where do you live so we can make this a purposeful conversation? Where do you fly to?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I am not going to argue what the times savings are of holding GS status and Pre-Check for departures - it obviously depends on time of day and other factors. The reality is that I can plan to arrive at EWR for departures 1 hour before int'l flight time and never worry about cutting it too close. If I was 1K with Pre-check I would definitely plan to arrive 2 hours before STD. YMMV.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I never show up at the airport more than an hour before an international flight. I usually try to get there 45 minutes before my flight but sometimes give it more for traffic (e.g. Brooklyn to EWR) or some airports like HKG. Frankly, EWR is not that bad. Recently I've never waited more than 5 minutes for pre-check. Also, if you're flying international F, most airlines treat you better than UA treats GS and will wait if your running late.

I get that GS works for some people, but objectively if you're flying a lot and booking in the front to start with, there really is almost no value in GS.

Last edited by 5khours; Jul 15, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.