Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Let's keep it all friendly banter eh, since this is a serious first world problem :-)

My 10c as a first year GS is that I'm underwhelmed.

I fly paid J most of the time and should easily make GS this year, and also am the decider on where $30k of flights goes for Mrs Limeyflyer.

Boarding early now is irrelevant: OJ, water or "champagne".. why bother? I will always get space for my one small carry on in J. Will be staying in the lounge until the last second going forward.

I have been on hold more than not with the GS phone line.

On board service is no different than 1K.. who cares if you get cold chicken or cold fish as a first or second choice.. it's all garbage.

GPUs.. I used one last month to get to "First" where I received crappy food, and no different service, just the slightly bigger seat.

Mrs Limeyflyer, GS, in J, had a tight connection in BRU and had no help.

Mother in Law Limeyflyer had the displeasure of the check in dragons at EWR with myself and Mrs Limeyflyer getting to EXACTLY 50lbs on a third (paid for since MIL Limeflyer has no status) bag. (UA really needs to realize that they need to treat Mrs Limeyflyer and MIL Limeyflyer better than me.. if they are happy, then I am happy even if I get crappy service)

Rewards availabilty for where I want to go and when is still not happening, and for transatlantic, it keeps pushing me to LH... really? Put me on LH another time and I may just have to admit to myself that it is an improvement and switch.)

My work colleagues (360) are having car transfers, lounges where you can eat the food (exception being so far the EWR Polaris lounge and so on. They laugh at me and make me so insecure.

The benefits, however... sometime a GPU will clear... and the Mrs Limeyflyer can have a saver miles ticket when I'm in paid J, and the front of the security line in EWR... however, I am flying out of EWR which takes me 35 minutes longer to get to than JFK or LGA.

Ah, yes. What to do eh. That grass looks well watered and fertilized.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

U don't see me complaining about my 1K status......geez calm down u GS folks
Aussienarelle and LimeyFlyer like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
I am flying out of EWR which takes me 35 minutes longer to get to than JFK or LGA.
While your other points are reasonable, this one is squarely your own "problem" and should not be attributed to UA other than the fact UA has no presence JFK.

From midtown Manhattan in ordinary conditions, travel time to any of these airports is equal.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
A lot of what you're speaking to is endemic to UA -- the idea that GS could make the food nicer or the seats more comfortable is a bit of a strange starting point for your expectations (assuming those misses are driving you being "underwhelmed").

And not getting help with a connection in BRU? How many GS connect in BRU? How many CK/360 get ground transfers at non-hubs?

EWR is 35 minutes less convenient than JFK or LGA? How was GS going to change that -- complimentary helicopter xfers?

I'm not contesting that you haven't been blown away, I'm just wondering where you got the basis for your expectations of something else.

Let's keep it all friendly banter eh, since this is a serious first world problem :-)

On board service is no different than 1K.. who cares if you get cold chicken or cold fish as a first or second choice.. it's all garbage.

GPUs.. I used one last month to get to "First" where I received crappy food, and no different service, just the slightly bigger seat.

Mother in Law Limeyflyer had the displeasure of the check in dragons at EWR with myself and Mrs Limeyflyer getting to EXACTLY 50lbs on a third (paid for since MIL Limeflyer has no status) bag. (UA really needs to realize that they need to treat Mrs Limeyflyer and MIL Limeyflyer better than me.. if they are happy, then I am happy even if I get crappy service)

Rewards availabilty for where I want to go and when is still not happening, and for transatlantic, it keeps pushing me to LH... really? Put me on LH another time and I may just have to admit to myself that it is an improvement and switch.)

My work colleagues (360) are having car transfers, lounges where you can eat the food (exception being so far the EWR Polaris lounge and so on. They laugh at me and make me so insecure.

The benefits, however... sometime a GPU will clear... and the Mrs Limeyflyer can have a saver miles ticket when I'm in paid J, and the front of the security line in EWR... however, I am flying out of EWR which takes me 35 minutes longer to get to than JFK or LGA.

Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
the love and hate of united
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
As someone who "chased" GS and made a point to take certain trips on pmUA so as to keep GS, the benefits were worth it. Flying 200+K miles, mostly domestically, GS (a) addressing IRROPS proactively, inducing finding me a J/F seat where the issue was UA's (b) upgrading me (at the time I often traveled on last minute Y tickets, high c/mi, but in Y per company policy); and (c) gave me very usable miles, that allowed me to take a family trip (or two) overseas in J each year. Putting up with the particular issues UA presented was worth it, because the benefits made it worthwhile to concentrate my travel on UA.
This was the whole reason I stayed with pmUA for a number of years before I just couldn't take it anymore. There were far better choices out there - especially for international flights - but I felt like UA took care of me and at least valued my difference. For me, it was like they know they suck, they're doing the best with what they have and they make up for it on other ways, so it works for me.

For me the option was not did I stay GS on UA vs CK/360, the question was whether I flew UA or simply flew whomever offered the best deal/schedule/product at any time.
I deal with this question late in every year. Is loyalty worth it (and if so, do I stay put or switch?), or just go by what schedule works best? If I could fly in paid F all of the time, this would be a good mindset. But having experienced being a Kettle on other airlines due to IRROPS, needing a cheap flight for family, etc, it becomes apparently really quickly that no matter how bad elite status has gotten, it's still infinitely better than being a Kettle.

I think they're all bad these days, it's just they're all "less bad" in certain areas than others.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
A lot of what you're speaking to is endemic to UA -- the idea that GS could make the food nicer or the seats more comfortable is a bit of a strange starting point for your expectations (assuming those misses are driving you being "underwhelmed").

And not getting help with a connection in BRU? How many GS connect in BRU? How many CK/360 get ground transfers at non-hubs?

EWR is 35 minutes less convenient than JFK or LGA? How was GS going to change that -- complimentary helicopter xfers?

I'm not contesting that you haven't been blown away, I'm just wondering where you got the basis for your expectations of something else.
As I noted, it's all first world stuff. The most significant difference is you get all the platitudes of "Thank you for being GS" etc... but that's where it stops.

Given that few GS connect at BRU, why couldn't assistance be provided? Maybe easier if there are fewer people to take care of? Instead, Mrs LimeFlyer was texting me, while I was looking up the changed gate and reduced connection time due to late arrival.

The other stuff.. nice food etc, I completely agree with you... and it points towards what's the point of GS when you eat the same donkey food as everyone else? I'm with you, and that's the problem... the product and the service is the same pretty much.....

If I lost GS tomorrow, and went to 1K I don't believe it would make a significant difference to my experience if I was a 1K, other than a benefit on a couple of reward bookings.

I'm curious as to what anyone's opinion would be that what you should expect as a GS, since clearly my expectations have not been met! I don't care about upgrades, since my tix are mostly in J, and the food and service on board are the same as everyone else.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat

I'm curious as to what anyone's opinion would be that what you should expect as a GS, since clearly my expectations have not been met! I don't care about upgrades, since my tix are mostly in J, and the food and service on board are the same as everyone else.
You raise a good question, GS has been an interesting evolution , I am, like a few others on this topic a day 1 member so 15 ish years. For the first couple of years those who were in it and most UA staff did not seem to understand it , the only trace of it on a daily basis was VIP on a checked bag tag and other than on SYD/LAX you rarely bumped into another GS. The handling of IRROPS though was really very good, I don't recall any pre flying benefits back then. Have seen though as others have commented positives and negatives post merger, the award access has been helpful a few times over the years, the numbers in the program I guess are huge compared to what they were then, the pre boarding privilege is helpful once you get used to the feeling the hate. Although there have been cuts to all aspects of product and programs these have been agnostic to status so I don't think GS members can gripe more than anyone else about this. I find though at this moment the experience like most things UA is all things between crap and superb with no predictability. I have pulled most of my long haul J off UA since the end of last year, not a GS thing ,there are much better consistent products out there for the same or less that meet my needs, with no difference in treatment
To answer the question you pose I have really enjoyed for many years the premium passenger treatment I have with Qantas, when I lived in Oz I was in the QF ,GS equivalent ,Plat 1 and then Plat when I moved out of country. When you board you get a welcome back /good to see again , wherever you sit on the plane someone will casually stop by and check all is ok , very helpful call line , premium lounge access at no cost and very proactive customer management. I don't have huge recognition needs but when you do 6-8 QF sectors and get back on UA the attitude and MO difference is massive. When you have 200 + segments a year it is good to feel welcome ..Each to their own
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:45 pm

The benefits, however... sometime a GPU will clear... and the Mrs Limeyflyer can have a saver miles ticket when I'm in paid J.
Just to mention since you didn't - but booking COACH saver awards and upgrading them with a GPU can almost double the value of your miles in many, many cases. At the least, a "standard coach+GPU" is roughly the same price as a saver business ticket, which is a great inventory workaround - and you can still get your miles back if saver opens up at any point. And of course, as you do mention, the ability to force someone into the seat next to you is something I consider of incredible value.

The elimination of F has pushed me to use GPUs exclusively on award tickets. To me, round trip business award tickets on UA to Europe for example have an effective price of 60k miles - utterly unheard of anywhere else. I just scored a huge celebration dance when I scored a DL r/t business ticket for 160k last week! It's hard to argue that MP isn't the best possible program out there if you're a GS flyer, IMHO.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Superguy
I deal with this question late in every year. Is loyalty worth it (and if so, do I stay put or switch?), or just go by what schedule works best? If I could fly in paid F all of the time, this would be a good mindset. But having experienced being a Kettle on other airlines due to IRROPS, needing a cheap flight for family, etc, it becomes apparently really quickly that no matter how bad elite status has gotten, it's still infinitely better than being a Kettle.

I think they're all bad these days, it's just they're all "less bad" in certain areas than others.
I don't think there is one answer at this point, but that itself is a problem for UA. When I was GS, there was no comparison. As you noted, UA knew it sucked in many ways (particularly IRROPs, but CS in general) and GS was designed to fix that problem, while also fixing the issue of upgrades not being available. But the problem at that point (I'm talking 2006-2012) was not that the product was necessarily substandard (the hard product was actually leading in some respects, and the soft product if not great, was not sub-par like it is today) it was the service. Now the soft product in particular, but also most of the hard product, sucks as well. As others have noted GS can't fix that.

I guess I am in the enviable position of just paying for F if the flight is over about 3 hours or so (unless F is priced crazy) and I really can't see the benefits - to me at least - of giving UA my business to get GS. But the entire point of GS is to gain/retain the business of those who can/will pay for more expensive tickets.

As others have noted, given that UA now sells lots of TODs, upgrades from Y are not so hot at this point (and I might add I get upgraded by DL or AS on nearly every short flight I take ex-SFO). Saver space is basically non-existant - particularly for multiple seats as I would need for a family trip. The last four family trips we have taken (SFO-MUC; SFO-KUL-HKG; SFO-ICN-KIX; SFO-MUC) there was no reasonable availability at any time on UA, surprisingly I found workable routing on DL on three of the trips. And on these family trips ( Y on OZ and LH, and in PE on CX and SAS) I have gotten better service just based upon my *A status (or being in PE) than UA had given me at the time I quit UA.

And the final kicker for me is that on the routes that I want to fly, UA's Y product is just horrible. I avoid them to Hawaii (77HD) or due to the new 77W and the tight 787. At this point the hard product takes UA off my radar for family trips (unless they will give me 3-4 J seats, which is not gonna happen) and when I am paying for J or PE why would I chose United?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:24 pm

I really can't see the benefits - to me at least - of giving UA my business to get GS.
While I agree with most of your post, if your option was one program that gave you 11 miles per $, while another gave you 22 miles per $, would that persuade you? Because with what I outlined in my previous post, that is effectively what GS is today if you use it right. That plus the MM companion benefit keeps me solidly with UA.
Saver space is basically non-existant - particularly for multiple seats as I would need for a family trip
I find Y saver availability to be pretty plentiful vs business, so that is another part of the equation when combined with PN. I completely agree that UA in Y on the configurations they have and are moving to are an absolute embarrassment, and I would totally be with DL on that point.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
As a super Elite at an airline, I'm usually somewhat happy when they make a huge mistake -- I get rewarded with a few hundred dollars worth of miles after politely complaining.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE

My 10c as a first year GS is that I'm underwhelmed.

I fly paid J most of the time and should easily make GS this year, and also am the decider on where $30k of flights goes for Mrs Limeyflyer.

Boarding early now is irrelevant: OJ, water or "champagne".. why bother? I will always get space for my one small carry on in J. Will be staying in the lounge until the last second going forward.

I have been on hold more than not with the GS phone line.

Try flying Delta.. im sure you will love the product
*Diamond upgrades never clear (doing way better as a 1K)
*Food is gross - I haven't had an edible meal in 1st on DL this year. United snack flights are better than DL transcends (except for D1)
*Service on DL absolutely sucks... most overrated airline on planet earth. Board before you clear your upgrade.... or empty seats in 1st??? DL flips you the finger. Left me in the back #1 on the UG list with an empty seat next to my companion. Customer Relations supported the gate agents decision to avoid delay . flight left 8 min early. This is consistent with DL , UA ALWAYS comes onboard
*First class seats... on DL its "LCC" in 1st with the tightest pitch and no recline
*Award availability might not be great on UA.. but on DL, those Skymiles and seeing DL prices for last minute awards will make you puke. 120K Delta miles one way for last minute JFK-LHR flight. UA was round trip for the same price.

Trust me ... enjoy GS and avoid DL. IT wont be faster to get to LGA.. the traffic blows and the flight schedules aren't that great. Its a regional airport. JFK... DL Terminal 4 is much worse than EWR. Seems like you have to walk forever. Oh and lounges you can eat food in? Not sure I understand what you mean... the salad with the big bottles of Hidden Valley ranch is food you would eat? Or the DL Skyclubs enjoyable rubber chicken ? DL has no International departure lounge. You would miss that Polaris lounge for sure.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by aero0729
Try flying Delta.. im sure you will love the product
*Diamond upgrades never clear (doing way better as a 1K)
*Food is gross - I haven't had an edible meal in 1st on DL this year. United snack flights are better than DL transcends (except for D1)
*Service on DL absolutely sucks... most overrated airline on planet earth. Board before you clear your upgrade.... or empty seats in 1st??? DL flips you the finger. Left me in the back #1 on the UG list with an empty seat next to my companion. Customer Relations supported the gate agents decision to avoid delay . flight left 8 min early. This is consistent with DL , UA ALWAYS comes onboard
*First class seats... on DL its "LCC" in 1st with the tightest pitch and no recline
*Award availability might not be great on UA.. but on DL, those Skymiles and seeing DL prices for last minute awards will make you puke. 120K Delta miles one way for last minute JFK-LHR flight. UA was round trip for the same price.

Trust me ... enjoy GS and avoid DL. IT wont be faster to get to LGA.. the traffic blows and the flight schedules aren't that great. Its a regional airport. JFK... DL Terminal 4 is much worse than EWR. Seems like you have to walk forever. Oh and lounges you can eat food in? Not sure I understand what you mean... the salad with the big bottles of Hidden Valley ranch is food you would eat? Or the DL Skyclubs enjoyable rubber chicken ? DL has no International departure lounge. You would miss that Polaris lounge for sure.
Wow, lots of exaggerations, but DL has no food? Have you ever been to their Seattle lounge? Not just food, but local/regional food. Like Ivar's Clam Chowder. Beecher's mac and cheese.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Eight years GS here. I've seen no overall change (other than the "policy" issues such as clearing RPUs/GPUs within 72 hours if > 3 seats available, etc.). GS has been there when I need them. At my home airport, BOS, things have in fact improved over the years. There's a dedicated team, many of whom are the most senior at the station. They know all their regular customers by name. We are boarded before pax with disabilities by a GS agent who is at every departure. If things go south before we arrive at the airport, we are proactively called with advice/alternatives.

Sure, there's the occasional telephone agent who either doesn't understand the policies or procedures. I just HUCA and the next agent nearly always gets the issue taken care of.

Combine this with the stated benefits published in the Wiki, I'm a happy GS flyer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.