Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

International Rescue Travel for dogs need help with UA contact

Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

I could certainly use any assistance possible to identify a United Airlines decision maker who has the ability and authority to grant an exception to the current pet travel policy for dogs rescued from the meat trade in S Korea. To date we have flown 45 goldens from Korean meat farms to their new lives in SW FL. In May however United decided to restrict crate height to 30 inches thus eliminating our ability to continue to be of assistance. Following and unanswered letter to United's CEO, I have exchanged emails with "Corporate Customer Care" but they have politely said .. Thank You for contacting us. We appreciate hearing from our customers. Any help to make the appropriate connection would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Korean pup
I could certainly use any assistance possible to identify a United Airlines decision maker who has the ability and authority to grant an exception to the current pet travel policy for dogs rescued from the meat trade in S Korea. To date we have flown 45 goldens from Korean meat farms to their new lives in SW FL. In May however United decided to restrict crate height to 30 inches thus eliminating our ability to continue to be of assistance. Following and unanswered letter to United's CEO, I have exchanged emails with "Corporate Customer Care" but they have politely said .. Thank You for contacting us. We appreciate hearing from our customers. Any help to make the appropriate connection would be greatly appreciated
I believe that United made the parameters more restrictive after a number of dogs died on various airlines while being transported. I doubt you will get anywhere with this as your cause is not the same priority as passengers who can no longer transport their animals like in the past and I don't see them getting exemptions as then where do you stop? (everyone believes that their own cause is the most important)
chavala likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Cruiser for your reply. The restrictions were placed as a result of human error and/or system failures and had no connection to crate height. Shortly after implementing the changes United realized certain unintended consequences. Thankfully they had to make exceptions for military families traveling between duty stations. This confirmed the fact that the new policy was a business decision not one based on the care and concern of canine travel as professed. Animals can still travel on a United flights with a few breed exceptions. Limiting the size of the crate makes no sense. The plane certainly did not get smaller all of a sudden.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:48 pm

This is a thread for UA Insider.

Also, have you tried Tweeting United? Going to the media? (The news love this sort of stuff!) Contacting UA's board members? Any of those may be more effective than posting here.

And don't forget to see if anyone associated with your non-profit has influence. If someone on the board of your non-profit has a day job that involves managing travel for a Fortune 500 Company, for example, that's a great avenue to apply pressure.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA took the hit for the dogs that died and got a lot of positive media for its new policy along with the recognition that it is not accepting animals which don't meet its parameters.

The same people here who advise going after UA publicly would then go after UA publicly if the dogs died.

As others note, UA has granted a few exemptions for military families and takes special precautions. That is likely as far as UA goes and, while the situation is unfortunate, kudos to UA for not taking on what it is not ready to handle.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sincx
This is a thread for UA Insider.
Wishful thinking. UA Insider hasn't been on Flyertalk for months.
fezzington likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for taking the time to reply. All of your ideas are great suggestions. We have begun to reach out to both local and national media. I had not thought about the Fortune 500 avenue but one Korean pup adopter has significant national media connections. A number of our fosters and adopters have begun to connect to United through Twitter. All I am asking in my attempts to contact United is to be given the opportunity to communicate directly via text, email or phone with a decision maker. Thank you again for your time
Originally Posted by Often1
UA took the hit for the dogs that died and got a lot of positive media for its new policy along with the recognition that it is not accepting animals which don't meet its parameters.

The same people here who advise going after UA publicly would then go after UA publicly if the dogs died.

As others note, UA has granted a few exemptions for military families and takes special precautions. That is likely as far as UA goes and, while the situation is unfortunate, kudos to UA for not taking on what it is not ready to handle.
Thank you Often1 for your time although I have to respectfully disagree. The fact that a small pup died in the overhead compartment is nothing short of tragic. When United's team managed to send a German Shepard to Japan instead of Denver is clearly an example of both human and system failure. I applaud United for calling a 2 month timeout to revisit their pet travel procedures. The new policy however still allows animals who fit in a crate smaller than 30 inches in height to fly the same as before. The height restriction seems to be a random perimeter that has no connection to pet safety. The effect of such a restriction does not provide a safer flight. Instead it simply excludes certain types and breeds of dogs from traveling on United.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 12, 2018 at 12:39 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I don’t see this going very far. Little upside and lots more to the downside for UA
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
These aren't the best of times for UA and pets. Perhaps you should consider OA.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Following and unanswered letter to United's CEO...
I believe this put a lid on the entire matter. If Oscar is not responding, I believe UA stands by its position.

My advice is to find a new airline for this matter.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I applaud your cause as a dog lover myself, but isn't there specialized flight options, or is that only domestic?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The height restriction seems to be a random perimeter that has no connection to pet safety. The effect of such a restriction does not provide a safer flight.
IMO air-freighting dogs one at a time out of industrial-scale farming is similarly ineffective at changing the situation.
TerryK, NeedstoFly and chavala like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I applaud your cause and work you're doing to get these doggies home. But I don't think you'll have a lot of luck with United. Unfortunately as others have said, they haven't been in the good press for transportation of dogs lately and there's just way too much liability involved here.

As others have said, and I'm not saying its your case, this is the sort of thing that comes back later as massive PR issue *if* a dog unfortunately dies on board their flights.

I personally would have no sympathy of you taking this to the press and trying to put United in a tight corner because they're following their policies. No should mean no.

I suggest you try other airlines or cargo companies.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I applaud your cause as a dog lover myself, but isn't there specialized flight options, or is that only domestic?
I would imagine efforts are better spent trying to get a freight/cargo company or a foundation/HV donors with private plane(s) to partner for this than trying to get United to reverse it's policy.

Isn't there a special horse air transport company?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Isn't there a special horse air transport company?
DHL Does. We got a freighter with 23 horses from DXB the other day here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.