Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice for changing segment upgraded with miles to a later flight with R available

Advice for changing segment upgraded with miles to a later flight with R available

Old Jul 11, 18, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum

I'm booked on a CLE-SFO-SIN return itinerary, with 1:44 connection time in SFO to the morning flight to SIN. I have upgraded using miles + copay, with CLE-SFO waitlisted and SFO-SIN confirmed (R was available). I would have preferred a longer connection in SFO and connect to the evening flight to SIN, but R was not available when I booked. But now, R has become available on the evening flight. I have a couple of questions as I contemplate things, hoping for your advice:
  1. If I call, would they be able to change my morning SFO-SIN to the evening one and transfer my confirmed upgrade (R is available). The change fee is $120, so not so bad.
  2. Should I ask for a return of miles and co-pay (is it possible) and then make the change myself online and upgrade again?
  3. Since I'm contemplating 1. above mostly because of the connection time, should I just not worry about the 1:44 connection time and not bother with the change at all? I'm dreading having to fly in Y if I misconnect (I know I should be able to get confirmed in J, but you never know if J is not available).
I appreciate your thoughts on this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by gusd View Post
If I call, would they be able to change my morning SFO-SIN to the evening one and transfer my confirmed upgrade (R is available).
Absolutely, although I'm surprised the change fee is only $120.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:42 am

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
I would definitely call. You might get a change waiver, but more important you avoid (almost entirely) any risk that the R space disappears before you do the swap out booking.

I don't think you should worry about the 1:44 connection in SFO, but I understand everyone has different risk tolerance.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Thanks. I was also surpised:
CHANGES

ANY TIME

CHARGE USD 120.00.

WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE.
Trying the change flight option online also yields the same change fee. It's a V fare.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
You can make the change by calling.

Degree of risk for a 1:44 connection at SFO depends on time of year and time of scheduled arrival.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Yes, these are new on certain TPAC fares. $120 to change for W/V/Q fares. Probably others.

I mentioned this in another thread a couple of weeks back.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Well, now that I think about it, since I'm getting the economy itinerary reimbursed, my employer may not like that I end up flying a different flight than the one I submit the reimbursement for (though I don't need to submit boarding passes). If I make the change, the upgrade and the change fee will show on the itinerary, which may not be a good idea.

So the clean solution would probably be to call and have the upgrade redeposited/refunded. Then cancel the ticket and book from scratch, using the credit. Finally, upgrade the new itinerary (and hope R doesn't disappear in the meantime).

Is this too much hassle/trouble to avoid the 1:44 connection time? (I already had this discussion with jsloan in the SFO connection thread, and he also thinks 1:44 in the morning should be fine)
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You can make the change by calling.

Degree of risk for a 1:44 connection at SFO depends on time of year and time of scheduled arrival.

Yes, these are new on certain TPAC fares. $120 to change for W/V/Q fares. Probably others.

I mentioned this in another thread a couple of weeks back.
Thanks, Kacee. This would be early December, arrival at 9:11am from CLE.
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Well, now that I think about it, since I'm getting the economy itinerary reimbursed, my employer may not like that I end up flying a different flight than the one I submit the reimbursement for (though I don't need to submit boarding passes). If I make the change, the upgrade and the change fee will show on the itinerary, which may not be a good idea.

So the clean solution would probably be to call and have the upgrade redeposited/refunded. Then cancel the ticket and book from scratch, using the credit. Finally, upgrade the new itinerary (and hope R doesn't disappear in the meantime).

Is this too much hassle/trouble to avoid the 1:44 connection time? (I already had this discussion with jsloan in the SFO connection thread, and he also thinks 1:44 in the morning should be fine)
Just give your employer the original/current receipt. I've made changes/upgraded my own, and I never give them anything that shows that, just the original receipt.
I'd go for more then 1:44 just so I have ample time to sample the Polaris Lounge there.
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
I'd go for more then 1:44 just so I have ample time to sample the Polaris Lounge there.
Even if this means it will turn into a 13:29 connection?
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Thanks, Kacee. This would be early December, arrival at 9:11am from CLE.
If that plane sat overnight at CLE you could be looking at a deicing delay...
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would just stick with the 1h44 at SFO. A ~4:30am (Pacific) departure is basically immune from the SFO GDP, so unless you're the sort of pax who is sweating bullets without a 3h00 */I connect, it's a fine connection. It sounds like it would be a hassle to change and worst case you have the entire day to get rebooked without an overnight.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 14, 18, 12:43 am
Original Poster

So I decided to just stick with what I had. However, now I've been hit by the infamous Friday night schedule change, and the connection is now reduced to 1h23. R is no longer available on the evening flight. So:
  1. Any chance they would change SFO-SIN to the evening flight now with the schedule change and open R for me?
  2. Should I wait a couple of days before calling and see if R opens up on the evening flight and then call and ask them to change to the evening flight?
  3. Or is 1h23 still ok on a December morning?
Old Jul 14, 18, 9:47 am

So I decided to just stick with what I had. However, now I've been hit by the infamous Friday night schedule change, and the connection is now reduced to 1h23. R is no longer available on the evening flight. So:
  1. Any chance they would change SFO-SIN to the evening flight now with the schedule change and open R for me?
  2. Should I wait a couple of days before calling and see if R opens up on the evening flight and then call and ask them to change to the evening flight?
1 - Yes, there's definitely a chance they'd do that.
2 - Not necessary
3 - At 1:23, I'd start to get a little nervous. It's probably still fine -- but you've been worrying about this for at least a week already, and if you can get it changed for free, you'll worry a lot less for the next five months.
Old Jul 14, 18, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR LTP, Amex Plat
minor schedule change. Still within MCT by quite a bit. They will probably move you, but they will unlikely open up 'R' in that scenario. Doesn't hurt to call and ask, but unless the schedule change puts you below MCT I doubt they will consider opening up 'R'.
Old Jul 14, 18, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
There's also a decent chance of more schedule changes nearly five months out.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: