Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Tickets with Segments on Juneyao Metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold

I noticed that on SFO to Xi'an, United's website offers some options connecting through Xi'an, with the Shanghai to Xi'an segment operated by Juneyao airlines. I flew them a year and a half ago, and they impressed me a lot more than the other Chinese airlines I've flown domestically there (Air China, China Eastern, etc...)

Anyone have a list of which destinations United partners with Juneyao to get to, besides Xi'an?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interestingly they are a Star Alliance "Connecting Partner" - https://www.staralliance.com/en/cp-overview (and seemingly, the only *A CP!)

Seems that if (and only if) you're connecting to/from a *A airline then you get *A benefits when flying with them.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
I tried to purchase a ticket to XIY with a connection on Juneyao through PVG, and the reservation failed to ticket due to the Juneyao segment not confirming. I just booked alternate routing for the same price connecting through PEK on Air China which ticketed within minutes.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
That actually happened to me too. Juneyao just refused to confirm me on a couple of their flights, for some reason. On the third attempt tho, I succeeded
Powers106 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
They don't have any codeshares to make it easy to approximate, so you'd have to read all the individual fare rules to see what's allowed, gag.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:54 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Maybe a year and a half ago, I was able to fly them KIX-PVG before connecting onwards to the US. Ticket priced out pretty amazingly... and I had a perfectly pleasant flight. I've tried to seek out that route again, but the fare rules seem to have changed and it's no longer pricing out as it once did.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
They don't have any codeshares to make it easy to approximate, so you'd have to read all the individual fare rules to see what's allowed, gag.
matrix.itasoftware.com

in the advanced controls:

outbound: UA+ o:HO+
return: o:HO+ UA+

That will return the lowest fares consisting of at least one UA-coded flight followed by at least one HO-operated flight. For exactly one, remove the '+'; for zero or one, change the '+' to a '?'.

Here is a list of their destinations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations

With a quick search, from SFO, I got good pricing into XIY, HET, HRB, and CSX; moderate pricing into MFM (with 22 hour layovers); and, horrific pricing into HKG.

Go to town.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:07 pm

just flew them a month ago sha/ctu very smooth domestic travel. no issues. would certainly fly again.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by docbert
Interestingly they are a Star Alliance "Connecting Partner" - https://www.staralliance.com/en/cp-overview (and seemingly, the only *A CP!)

Seems that if (and only if) you're connecting to/from a *A airline then you get *A benefits when flying with them.
I don't think you get all benefits. Baggage and Priority boarding are it if I recall correctly. They wouldn't give me lounge access last time, but didn't matter much as I wasn't there long before flight time anyway.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
If memory serves, when I flew Juneyao last time, I was able to make miles. And I wasn't transferring.

Don't remember about lounge access.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Just flew Juneyao three days ago XIY-PVG on a MP award ticket. Just the one segment - so didn't require a connection or anything. No *G recognition - nor do I think they have any kind of 'elite' facilities. Perfectly fine flight - comfortable plane.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I tried to purchase a ticket to XIY with a connection on Juneyao through PVG, and the reservation failed to ticket due to the Juneyao segment not confirming. I just booked alternate routing for the same price connecting through PEK on Air China which ticketed within minutes.
I had the same problem tried booking a few times but would not clear. Got a a few United emails:

First:
Your itinerary contains one or more flights operated by a partner airline, so we have asked Juneyao Airlines to confirm your reservation within the next 24 hours. In rare cases, a partner airline may not be able to confirm the reservation due to rapidly changing availability.

Then:
We are unable to ticket the above-referenced reservation. Some airlines require 24 hours to confirm a seat on their flight. In this case, we were unable to confirm your flight(s) on Juneyao Airlines. If you are in the US, please call us at 800-UNITED1 (800-864-8331) so we can assist you in making alternate arrangements.

Called United and they told me to call Juneyao and work it out with them. Are you kidding me? Booked on China Eastern half price better connections.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:09 pm
gdw

United and Juneau have not worked out the bugs yet. Tried to book my wife on a transpac itinerary connecting to an international Juneyao flight in Shanghai. Price was good on United website and got a reservation number from United. Checked back a few days later and the Juneyao flight had not been ticketed. Called United and they essentially said it was not their problem. I had to re-book the same United flights at a higher cost. The United agent told me to book the Juneyao flight separately. I did so via the Juneyao website (again at a higher cost) but it was not smooth or easy. Ended up having to call Juneyao customer service to complete the reservation. The United App eventually (weeks later) showed the Juneyao leg but showed it as waitlisted. I was able to read enough Chinese to confirm that the reservation was "complete" on the Juneyao Chinese website. At checkin for the United flight the United agents could not see the Juneyao leg and were unable to check the bags thru to the final destination or issue a boarding pass for the Juneyao flight. The supervisor on duty also was unable to help. This meant that instead of international transit, my wife had to claim the bags, clear customs and exit the secure area of the airport and check in again (about a 3 hour process). It also meant she was not granted two 50 pound bags but rather given the 44 pound limit of Juneyao (44 total - not 44 per bag). This meant the smaller bag had to become her additional carry on bag and she had to remove all the liquids from that bag in the check in area of the airport. She may get the miles (haven't showed up yet) but it really isn't worth it. United should definitely not be showing Juneyao flights on their webpage until these issues are resolved.
If you really want to fly Juneyao you need to be able to comply with Juneyao baggage restrictions (don't count on Star Alliance or Mileage Plus benefits). If you are doing an international connection from United to Juneyao I would allow at least 3 hours for the connection plus whatever leeway you want to provide for delays etc. If my wife's United flight had been late and she had missed the connection I don't for a second assume Juneyao would have done anything to accommodate her other than offer to sell her a new ticket to replace the "no show" ticket that she did not arrive in time to fly. Buyer beware.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

For my experience connecting on Juneyao to Xi'an last year, if your reservation with the Juneyao segment doesn't ticket within a few hours, call a United rep. For both of the flights that Juneyao refused to ticket me on, the United agent was able to tell me that Juneyao had declined to ticket that segment, and that I would just have to try another one. After finally getting a ticket with a Juneyao segment to to be confirmed, I called in once again just to confirm that all was well. From there, it was necessary to clear immigration in PVG to get my Juneyao boarding pass (although, this wasn't a problem since I chose flights with a 20 hour layover in Shanghai). On the way back, I had a 5 hr layover at PVG and needed to wait for the United counter to open 3 hours out in order to get my boarding pass.

PVG really isn't the best airport to spend 5 hours at...

and why Juneyao refused to ticket those first 2 segments, I have no idea. Their seatmap was mostly empty less than a week out from departure.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As much as I dislike MU, they are better than HO in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.