Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Horny" Passenger Allegedly Molested Women on UA Flight

"Horny" Passenger Allegedly Molested Women on UA Flight

Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by chavala

I would make a huge scene and fight back. If his hand was rubbing my vagina it would perhaps turn violent, but you better believe I would come out the winner. And he would be arrested on arrival. No way would I move to another seat.
And yes, thats what I would tell my daughter to do.

I dont think some of you guys truly realize what a sensative situation this is for us, and how emotional it can make women feel just by reading this sort of thing can still happen. Its time to fight back, not run away.

and P.S. The guy got away with it

AGREED. It's so sad that travel, whether business or personal, ends up like this. Travel is a privilege, a blessing, and educational. Being violated anywhere, whether onboard or anywhere else, is a horrible place to find oneself. Whatever payout Dowling receives will never heal the wounds she suffered. Subject to what we know here.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
Plus Ambien as I read I think in one of the UK stories. Never a good combination... That is not a pass on the alleged perp. Odd, they only say he was acquitted. I assume charges filed and brought to trial, wonder if jury or judge trial to acquit.
I spent 20 days in April as a juror on a medical malpractice suit. In the end I disagreed with my fellow jury members, but the plaintiff apparently worried about positive outcome. They settled. As a jury we we're planning to award 6x the settlement. IMHO Dowling should win in a civil lawsuit.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:39 pm

In dangerous situations, our brain has many responses. Many people know about "fight or flight", but few people realize that freezing is another response that humans have evolved. These mechanisms are not always triggered consciously, and I think if you consider that, you might have a different perspective on these situations. This person is not the only one to freeze in dangerous or stressful situation.
mules and smc333 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I'm not defending the Fedex Pilot at all, if he did what he did. I'm merely saying, why not remove yourself from the situation using your own power if you don't like it / if you can and talk to authorities (whomever they may be aka UA FA's / Pursers in the air). At that point it shouldn't matter who's inconveniencing who. Like you said it's "time to fight back". Use your own power to move, to "defend" yourself, to raise a ruckus. The victim just seemed a bit passive...whether it's from shock or disbelief, ok. Or maybe it's poor article writing (or reading lol).
"if you don't like it"? Surely you cannot be serious in suggesting that she might have liked it.
mules likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
According to the courts, there was no wrongdoing?
This represents a basic misunderstanding of the American legal system. The verdict does not come even close to saying there was no wrongdoing. It merely reflects the fact that (in the jury's view) the prosecution failed to meet its burden of proof. In a criminal case, guilt must be established "beyond a reasonable doubt". In a civil case, the burden of proof is a "preponderance of evidence", which is a much lower standard. There are many cases where a defendant is cleared of criminal charges, but loses the civil case.

I'm merely saying, why not remove yourself from the situation using your own power
This is perhaps the most nave statement ever made on FlyerTalk. If it was that easy, nobody would ever suffer assault.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
... If it was not, then again, I wonder why she would sit and endure it.

Would you just sit there?

I understand people are victims. Whether or not there was an empty seat, if the Fedex Pilot did what he did, it's wrong. But why sit there and make yourself a victim even longer? Is that what you would want your daughter to do? It's like, why not move yourself AND report it / raise a ruckus?
Have you even listened to many of the victims in the MeToo movement? This event happened in 2016. Women felt powerless. The FedEx in this alleged incident kept trying to make the woman be okay with it. I really hope neither you nor a family member suffer a sexual assault. What have you shared with your daughter?

She did not just sit there she approached the FA and was told to sit back down in her seat and discuss it with the person assaulting her.

You're placing the blame in the wrong place, and while your viewpoint continues in the broader community victims of sexual assault will continue to feel it is their fault. Place the blame on the right person. The FedEx pilot is alleged to have stated they were both horny (because he is a man and can obviously read the mind of an attractive woman!)

I hope she wins her civil lawsuit. We need more of these so victims know the rest of us believe them and do not think the behavior is acceptable.

I do feel passionate about this issue - I know too many victims that feel powerless and that people blame them for the fact they were sexually assaulted.
mules, chavala, smc333 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This represents a basic misunderstanding of the American legal system. The verdict does not come even close to saying there was no wrongdoing. It merely reflects the fact that (in the jury's view) the prosecution failed to meet its burden of proof. In a criminal case, guilt must be established "beyond a reasonable doubt". In a civil case, the burden of proof is a "preponderance of evidence", which is a much lower standard. There are many cases where a defendant is cleared of criminal charges, but loses the civil case.

This is perhaps the most nave statement ever made on FlyerTalk. If it was that easy, nobody would ever suffer assault.
O J Simpson is one of the more famous cases
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Sadly, hindsight is 20/20, and the comment about freezing up (i.e. "flight, fight, or freeze" is spot-on), but if she could could go back in time to a moment before the assault, this is what she should have done:

I am appalled that the FA told the victim to go back to her seat and work it out with her assailant.
chavala likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by Kevin AA

I am appalled that the FA told the victim to go back to her seat and work it out with her assailant.
We dont know what was said or how it was said. For all we know the woman couldve said that man is really annoying me is it likely? Dont know.
This is where details matter.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Ditka

We dont know what was said or how it was said. For all we know the woman couldve said that man is really annoying me is it likely? Dont know.
This is where details matter.
This is an IBB, not a courtroom. I am talking about what to do as the victim of a sexual predator, on the airplane, in the moment.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Typical money-grab in our screwed-up legal system. Taking the linked story at face value, the woman didn't take any action until after the second or third incident, and she was moved before anything else happened. (The FA might have been wrong to tell her to go back and talk to the guy, but that was immediately mooted by the purser's actions.)

Unless there were corroborating witnesses, this is a classic he said, she said. Had United taken action against the male, they'd be getting sued by him.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
Do you how many women just "sat there" as they were shell shocked and incapable of doing anything?
Quite. Despite what some might think (and sadly), there is still the social convention for women to be polite in public, not to "make a fuss/a scene".
mules, chavala and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Quite. Despite what some might think (and sadly), there is still the social convention for women to be polite in public, not to "make a fuss/a scene".
LOL. There has never, at any time in American history, been a "social convention" for women to sit politely after being grabbed in or near the vagina by a stranger on an airplane (or anywhere else, for that matter).
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:09 am

"
Originally Posted by joe_miami
LOL. There has never, at any time in American history, been a "social convention" for women to sit politely after being grabbed in or near the vagina by a stranger on an airplane (or anywhere else, for that matter).
Now I did not grow up in the USA (but Australia), but I suspect there are great similarities in the culture for females. I can assure you I was brought up to not confront a man. A "nice girl" does not do that. So when these things happened to me (and they happened more than you may realize), after the first time when I was 19 by a 60 year old (who was the senior partner in the firm) some of my male colleagues came to my "rescue" as I just burst into tears as I did not know what to do. I subsequently learned to diffuse future situations with humor, but I was also very much working in a man's world and the attitude was if I could not stand the heat to get out of the kitchen - I was a very successful professional female and you would not believe how many men are unhappily married or the number of times I was "propositioned" and we were able to "laugh" it off. But many females did not have the status in their careers that I did. There was and is a social convention for women to defer to men. So unless you are a female who has experienced the cultural norm of what is expected of a "nice girl", please respect that perhaps women do believe this is what is expected of them.

The women in this situation was probably trying not to make a scene, until she could not take it any longer. Until you have walked in her shoes perhaps consider that she too is a "nice girl". She was told by another female to sort it out with the guy who was assaulting her - we "nice girls" do not want to hurt a man's fragile ego. She then reported it the next day. That took courage as she would have had to be interviewed by the police and presumably testify in court.

There is a reason so many women support the MeToo movement - it is a real problem for many, many women.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
"

Now I did not grow up in the USA (but Australia), but I suspect there are great similarities in the culture for females. I can assure you I was brought up to not confront a man. A "nice girl" does not do that. So when these things happened to me (and they happened more than you may realize), after the first time when I was 19 by a 60 year old (who was the senior partner in the firm) some of my male colleagues came to my "rescue" as I just burst into tears as I did not know what to do. I subsequently learned to diffuse future situations with humor, but I was also very much working in a man's world and the attitude was if I could not stand the heat to get out of the kitchen - I was a very successful professional female and you would not believe how many men are unhappily married or the number of times I was "propositioned" and we were able to "laugh" it off. But many females did not have the status in their careers that I did. There was and is a social convention for women to defer to men. So unless you are a female who has experienced the cultural norm of what is expected of a "nice girl", please respect that perhaps women do believe this is what is expected of them.

The women in this situation was probably trying not to make a scene, until she could not take it any longer. Until you have walked in her shoes perhaps consider that she too is a "nice girl". She was told by another female to sort it out with the guy who was assaulting her - we "nice girls" do not want to hurt a man's fragile ego. She then reported it the next day. That took courage as she would have had to be interviewed by the police and presumably testify in court.

There is a reason so many women support the MeToo movement - it is a real problem for many, many women.
Little or none of the above has any relevance to this situation. Taking the story at face value, the woman was relocated after she complained to the FA and then the purser, and yet, in a prior post above, you stated that you believe this lawsuit has merit. Why should United have to shell out money for something a third party did, when United took action as soon as it received the complaint? That makes no sense. Is United supposed to have someone posted at each row in case a male inappropriately touches a female who, for whatever reason, doesn't immediately complain?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.