Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Horny" Passenger Allegedly Molested Women on UA Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler

What's to be made of this one...This looks pretty bad for UA if true...especially this "Dowling reported the incident to a flight attendant and asked to be moved, but the employee told her there were no open seats and suggested that she speak to her assailant instead." although Purser finally moved her.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/10/horny-...united-flight/
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Also in the Daily Mail. I like how the Brits shame this guy by posting pictures from his Facebook.

Woman sues United Airlines claiming passenger sexually assaulted her | Daily Mail Online
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
So..let me see if I got this straight

July 2016 - Incident "allegedly" occurs
December 2016 - Criminal Lawsuit Filed
June 2017 - "Alleged assailant" acquitted of all charges
And now... July 2018 - Suing United? Sounds like a $$$ grab to me.

My questions:
"No open seats", yet she was moved to another seat in the same row. Interesting contradiction...
How can you sue United when the assailant was cleared of all charges? So what are you suing United for? According to the courts, there was no wrongdoing?

Edit: This is just me thinking out loud (and it might be a little harsh, so sorry in advanced), but if someone was touching me inappropriately and there was an empty seat a couple of seats away or across the aisle, I would move without asking. Why sit there and endure this torment? Why not do something (the little that you possibly can do on an aircraft) to make the situation a little less tormenting?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Since Dowling was UG presumably some status with United. Criminal matters have a higher threshold than civil (think the OJ criminal and civil prosecutions) so glad she is still able to seek justice.

Glad the purser did the right thing, but the FA needs retraining. I have friends who have suffered sexual assaults and speaking to the perpetrator is not something most of them would be capable of doing. Some of them can barely talk about the assaults.

The fact Dowling reported it the next day, and the purser moved her to a new seat speaks volumes to me about the legitimacy of the complaint. Few women want to admit they suffered such an assault (generalization. I know). Many do not want to press charges and it takes courage to do so.

$75,000 is not a "money grab" attempt in my mind but a legitimate claim.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jul 10, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
"No open seats", yet she was moved to another seat in the same row. Interesting contradiction...
Not necessarily - they could have asked someone else to swap seats. Likely a male, and possible a UA staff member if there was one in the cabin (or pilot rest maybe?). No free seats in business on HKG-SFO would certainly not at all be surprising.

Based on the description in the article (which is obviously not the entire story) it's hard to see what UA could have done to avoid things. Yes, the original FA should have acted differently, but presuming she spoke to the purser almost immediately after that FA then it almost certainly didn't change the outcome in any way.

Serving the passenger "at least three to four vodka sodas" over potentially a period of several hours is hardly what I'd consider "excessive alcohol".
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel

My questions:
How can you sue United when the assailant was cleared of all charges? So what are you suing United for? According to the courts, there was no wrongdoing?

Edit: This is just me thinking out loud (and it might be a little harsh, so sorry in advanced), but if someone was touching me inappropriately and there was an empty seat a couple of seats away or across the aisle, I would move without asking. Why sit there and endure this torment? Why not do something (the little that you possibly can do on an aircraft) to make the situation a little less tormenting?
It's a good idea to actually read the article before posting your comments.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Fedex pilot assaults passenger

Shouldn’t the title at least represent what occcurred?
if this was a United crew member on a Southwest flight, surely the headline would read “United crewmember sexually assaults woman passenger”

I don’t think it is a money grab, but it doesn’t seem like United is at fault here...and again we don’t know the full details of the first conversation between the FA and victim....because we’re only getting her version of the story.
but why isn’t FEDEX in the mix? Especially if he was on a seat purchased by FEDEX.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I know someone who's SO was sexually assaulted and all I can advise is that the passenger is right to go after United and FedEx, but should aim for a lot more than $75k. She lost her criminal case. We don't know all the facts but based on the OP's post United didn't exactly act in a proactive way here to put a stop to this after round one which is shameful, but again we don't know all the facts. These sorts of incidents can ruin people's lives forever, sadly in the case of the victim and unfortunately in the case of the FedEx pilot, and another big scratch on United's reputation. Only people who win here are the attorneys.

My questions:

You can pursue a civil and and a criminal case. The criminal case would be against the FedEx pilot. The civil litigation against United could be handled through a lawsuit and settled in mediation or other ways.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:16 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:48 pm

Great ... blame the woman for not being more proactive and moving to a different seat!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:17 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Great ... blame the woman for not being more proactive and moving to a different seat!
My thought exactly. SHE should not be the one inconvenienced. Time to fight back. Otherwise this guy will just do it again because he knows he can get away with it.

Silver Fox and IAD1k like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:18 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
There is nowhere where I blamed the woman for not moving.

I was merely pointing out the inconsistencies that have me wondering. If it was full, then I certainly lay the blame more on UA for not doing more as the passenger couldn't. If it was not, then again, I wonder why she would sit and endure it.

Would you just sit there?

I understand people are victims. Whether or not there was an empty seat, if the Fedex Pilot did what he did, it's wrong. But why sit there and make yourself a victim even longer? Is that what you would want your daughter to do? It's like, why not move yourself AND report it / raise a ruckus?
FlyingNone likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:18 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:46 pm

There is nowhere where I blamed the woman for not moving.

I was merely pointing out the inconsistencies that have me wondering. If it was full, then I certainly lay the blame more on UA for not doing more as the passenger couldn't. If it was not, then again, I wonder why she would sit and endure it.

Would you just sit there?

I understand people are victims. Whether or not there was an empty seat, if the Fedex Pilot did what he did, it's wrong. But why sit there and make yourself a victim even longer? Is that what you would want your daughter to do? It's like, why not move yourself AND report it / raise a ruckus?
I would make a huge scene and fight back. If his hand was rubbing my vagina it would perhaps turn violent, but you better believe I would come out the winner. And he would be arrested on arrival. No way would I move to another seat.
And yes, that’s what I would tell my daughter to do.

I don’t think some of you guys truly realize what a sensative situation this is for us, and how emotional it can make women feel just by reading this sort of thing can still happen. It’s time to fight back, not run away.

and P.S. The guy got away with it
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by chavala

My thought exactly. SHE should not be the one inconvenienced. Time to fight back. Otherwise this guy will just do it again because he knows he can get away with it.
And I have to say, No offense to LAX, but I was suprised to hear this sort of talk from a millennial. Even a bit shocked when I saw who posted it as I usually agree with you : (
I'm not defending the Fedex Pilot at all, if he did what he did. I'm merely saying, why not remove yourself from the situation using your own power if you don't like it / if you can and talk to authorities (whomever they may be aka UA FA's / Pursers in the air). At that point it shouldn't matter who's inconveniencing who. Like you said it's "time to fight back". Use your own power to move, to "defend" yourself, to raise a ruckus. The victim just seemed a bit passive...whether it's from shock or disbelief, ok. Or maybe it's poor article writing (or reading lol).
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Originally Posted by docbert
Serving the passenger "at least three to four vodka sodas" over potentially a period of several hours is hardly what I'd consider "excessive alcohol".
Plus Ambien as I read I think in one of the UK stories. Never a good combination... That is not a pass on the alleged perp. Odd, they only say he was acquitted. I assume charges filed and brought to trial, wonder if jury or judge trial to acquit.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:55 pm

I'm not defending the Fedex Pilot at all, if he did what he did. I'm merely saying, why not remove yourself from the situation using your own power if you don't like it / if you can and talk to authorities (whomever they may be aka UA FA's / Pursers in the air). At that point it shouldn't matter who's inconveniencing who. Like you said it's "time to fight back". Use your own power to move, to "defend" yourself, to raise a ruckus. The victim just seemed a bit passive...whether it's from shock or disbelief, ok. Or maybe it's poor article writing (or reading lol).
Of course I don’t think you’re defending the pilot. All I’m saying is she was WAY too passive about it because she DID move seats. HE should be the one moved to the back of the plane and handcuffed.
United is at fault here for not handling the situation correctly. I hope she wins.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.