Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unaccompanied minor in First - did she get shafted for breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unaccompanied minor in First - did she get shafted for breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
sorry to hear about this. Likely she was taken advantage of by the FA. Keep in mind she would have had no status (unless she has accumulated her own miles on her own MP number) so would have been one of the last to have been asked for her choice. Assuming no catering issues, then she should have received something at the very least
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:20 pm

Another reason why UA needs to offer the ability to reserve F meals in advance of the flight, as AS and AA do on at least some of their flights.
Miggles and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The crew's gotta eat too!

Geez...
Yup. we had a 3 year old in his own paid Business seat to Hawaii. The FA didn't want to give him a meal at all, saying "only if there's a meal left over after everyone else" (i.e.after the FAs have had as much as they wanted). Really quite incredible.

An unaccompanied minor should be the first priority for getting some sort of meal, since they normally lack the ability to purchase (credit card only) anything inflight. If this isn't the policy, it needs to be.

The OP should contact V.P. of in-flight service directly:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-slater-57753b30/
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Yup. we had a 3 year old in his own paid Business seat to Hawaii. The FA didn't want to give him a meal at all, saying "only if there's a meal left over after everyone else" (i.e.after the FAs have had as much as they wanted). Really quite incredible.

An unaccompanied minor should be the first priority for getting some sort of meal, since they normally lack the ability to purchase (credit card only) anything inflight. If this isn't the policy, it needs to be.

The OP should contact V.P. of in-flight service directly:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-slater-57753b30/
personally I think a 3yo in paid business is just as incredible, Im glad the parents were able to advocate that he gets a meal.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Imstevek

personally I think a 3yo in paid business is just as incredible, Im glad the parents were able to advocate that he gets a meal.
Why?

When my son was young, he travelled with me in business class. That is where I wanted to sit so he sat with me. As he got older and flew UM I put him in business class to ensure he was looked after (although he was fairly low maintenance), and other than the one SYD-LAX flight (upthread), all great experiences for him with peace of mind for me.

I actually think there is a rule that children under a certain age need to be seated in the same class as the parent (unless they are UM).

However, that is no excuse (UM) for the FAs to deny food to any passenger.
iluv2fly and Often1 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Imstevek
Well paid, as in with miles. The alternatives-- sitting in Economy for six hours, with arthritis in my hips and knees or separating our family -- would have been silly.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
My daughter (10YO) called out the FA the other day DEN/IAH when she was not offered her meal choice. She made 1K by herself last year. I nearly spit up when she said, don't you prioritize meals by status? I was not sure if I should have shushed her or high five'd her. I just kind of let her go with it. She loves showing her 1K card when boarding just cause she can. Lots of strange looks when we travel together and I have the GS and she has the 1K.

However, it does sound in this case the kid got hosed. My daughter had a couple of unaccompanied flights last year and I was never aware of any sort of special kids unaccompanied meal. The yogurt and the croissant usually come with either of the main course meals. Maybe special order from the parents?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
My daughter (10YO) called out the FA the other day DEN/IAH when she was not offered her meal choice. She made 1K by herself last year. I nearly spit up when she said, don't you prioritize meals by status? I was not sure if I should have shushed her or high five'd her.
That deserves a high five, for sure!!!
iluv2fly, wrp96, chavala and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
However, it does sound in this case the kid got hosed. My daughter had a couple of unaccompanied flights last year and I was never aware of any sort of special kids unaccompanied meal. The yogurt and the croissant usually come with either of the main course meals. Maybe special order from the parents?
No, we did not order any special meals for her as this flight is not eligible for special meals. She just was not given any entree and got just the sides, I think.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by pindi
Our 11 yr old flew EWR-IAH on Saturday morning at 8:47 AM, as an unaccompanied minor, in seat 2E. I had prepped her already re: her choices for breakfast (cereal or a hot dish - mostly eggs) etc. She was really excited that she would get asked her choice. Apparently, she was given a cup of yogurt and a croissant while folks around her got other dishes. She was not given a choice.

Before I imagine all kinds of conspiracy theories, any ideas on what could have happened here? If it matters, my 11 yr old looks like a 7-8 yr old.
Thanks!
Your daughter got shafted...yes. I have seen too many instances of FAs scamming the FC meals to believe otherwise.

I would complain and ask for compensation. If they balk, I would never fly this airline again.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If they had been up the back, the policy is that she would have received a meal "free" (where "free" obviously means included in the UM fee) from the BOB menu.

To have received what was basically less than that up the front clearly isn't acceptable.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Sounds as if she got shafted. Though is it also possible that she didn’t order clearly enough? If she mumbled her order the FA might have misunderstood.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:59 pm

I just don't understand airlines not stocking extra meals to meet the needs of the passenger. Penny wise, Pound foolish. I don;t know how they calculate meals for a flight but it seems like an investment to have extra meals on hand for your elite customers and seriously if you keep the whole plane fed, there is a chance that the people will be kept busy eating for awhile.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
I just don't understand airlines not stocking extra meals to meet the needs of the passenger. Penny wise, Pound foolish. I don;t know how they calculate meals for a flight but it seems like an investment to have extra meals on hand for your elite customers and seriously if you keep the whole plane fed, there is a chance that the people will be kept busy eating for awhile.
The airlines stock meals much more accurately than the FAs would like you to believe...
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Well paid, as in with miles.

Ah, I see. Paid w. UA funny money makes a little more sense. About as incredible as the FA response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.