Wiki Posts
Search

Charlotte Based UA Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Charlotte Based UA Flyers

Curious if there are any Charlotte based flyers whose airline of choice is UA? I'm thinking about switching as most of my flights are to the north east US, Canada and Europe. UA has added mainline back to CLT, most non-mainline flights are on E170 and E175, which I like, and from the pictures that have been released of their Premium Plus, it looks better than some others. I really like that every seat in Premium Plus will have leg and foot rest and not just the first row. Also, I like the fact that I have another option to Canada, partner Air Canada, as well as Europe, via YYZ, on Air Canada. I have also flown Lufthansa and was very pleased.

If I go with United for most future flights, I'm curious about the United Club. For instance, the airline club that I currently go to charges for adult beverages if you want a cocktail made with a spirit that you have heard of. As much as I pay for the yearly club membership, I have an issue having to purchase drinks when there are clubs that I've been in that offer complementary top shelf spirits.

Thanks in advance of any comments and thoughts you might have.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You have to pay for “name” liquors at UCs. Personally, if I’m having a rum and coke (for example), my palate is hardly refined enough to tell the difference.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Spending money on top shelf liquor only to mix it with a soft drink is a waste of money.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There was a grim period where the UC served true dreck. Not while the free stuff isn’t top shelf it is name brands at least.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Depending on your specific destinations, UA may be right for you. The Northeast, Canada, and Europe is a very broad area. A list of frequent cities can help determine what airline best suits you.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:00 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Spending money on top shelf liquor only to mix it with a soft drink is a waste of money.
other than lhr and hkg, united clubs suck. meh food, the only reason i go is to get free well liquor before a flight, or maybe see an agent during irrops. just get priority pass/amex platinum if lounge access is important, but we don't know which exact cities you going to
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You have to pay for “name” liquors at UCs. Personally, if I’m having a rum and coke (for example), my palate is hardly refined enough to tell the difference.
That's alcohol abuse!

On a more serious note, status with UA doesn't automatically give you access to the United Club - you need to be on an itinerary that goes outside the 50 states (i.e. CLT -> EWR -> YYZ) to get that for free. There are a couple of lounges in the US you can access regardless of itinerary such as the LH and TK lounges at IAD which also offer way better food spreads (and showers!). Otherwise you'll have to purchase a membership from UA or AC ranging from $375 to $500 USD depending on if you want just US coverage or Global Coverage. Is the United Club worth it? It depends! If you're flying out from a UA hub in the morning (i.e. EWR or ORD) the breakfast spread is pretty nice and I've managed to make a full meal out of it. AC's lounge at YYZ is also respectable and has a showers. Outside North America the lounges are noticeably better, especially those in Asia like ANA's lounge in Narita which feature a noodle bar, sleeping pods and first rate shower facilities! LH lounge in Frankfurt is okay (better than US lounges but nothing to write home about). However, the LX lounge in GVA and ZRH are very nice indeed (especially for breakfast which have a made to order omelette station)

The other major benefits to getting UA status are complimentary upgrades within North America and access to Economy+ seating. I could be mistaken but I suspect the upgrade success rate for CLT should be pretty good since CLT is not a hub for UA. Looking at the United Upgrade offers spreadsheet I put together, the typical United upgrade offer is between $70-$100 USD between IAD/EWR. These prices imply that complimentary upgrade availability is good since UA only prices upgrade offers at those levels when the front of the cabin is empty.

My recommendation would be to first determine what you're looking for in an airline including: routes (i.e. 1 stop versus 2+ stops), on time performance based on the routes you're taking, customer service, first class cabin quality (and likelihood of upgrade), fare, connection airports (i.e. how easy it is transit around them), lounges, and last (but certainly not least) frequent flyer program. Try out each airline (and alliance): AA (OneWorld), DL (SkyTeam), UA (Star Alliance), WN, B6, AS when you get a chance. Then after you've made those comparisons I would choose the one airline and alliance and stick to them to gain the requisite status. If you end up travelling enough it may even make sense to achieve mid-top tier status across multiple alliances (i.e. AA, DL and UA!)

In my case I did the calculation over a year ago and determined UA was the best for me. Where I live (near Toronto, Canada) means that my choice of airlines when travelling domestically is either AC (*A) or WS (garbage). Travelling internationally, generally UA's got the cheapest fare for me (connecting in the US but no biggie for me since I've got GlobalEntry) and if not AC or a *A partner has me covered. Lounge access works out well for me with UA since I'm almost exclusively on an international itinerary meaning that every time I access the UA lounge be it in ORD, EWR, DEN, SFO, etc., I'll be granted access. In a couple of months I'll be moving to the UK for studies but even then *A still makes sense for me (connecting with LX/LH/OS/TK/AC) even though BA is the elephant in the room.

If UA ends up being what you choose I'd recommend aiming for UA Gold which to put simply (albeit the fine print is a little more complex): 50,000 miles on UA and *A partners, 4 UA segments and $6000 annual spend. UA pursuits might disagree with this analysis arguing that you should aim for top-tier status like 1K or Global Service. However, the difference between UA Gold and 1K are limited and you'll likely not notice them on the flights you take. Gold gives you what you need: lounge access when travelling internationally (or are in IAD ), a decently high pecking order in the upgrade lottery and E+ seating when you book your flight on UA. You also get status with hotel partners like automatic Marriott Gold and car rental companies like Hertz. Most importantly you get *A Gold status which means you are treated like a VIP when flying with UA (and *A partners). If a flight gets cancelled or gets delayed you get priority over everyone else on flight rebooking and re-accomodation. This benefit alone has saved my tail on a couple of occasions.

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.