Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the UA elite status expiration / change date -- when does the app update?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
When does elite status change, if lower. for the coming year?
Midnight (local time) 31 Jan 20xx
(website/mobile app resets Midnight Central USA / Chicago / Houston time)

If status, due to achieving a higher status, is high, the change should update quickly -- once the miles/PQMs post or reason for new higher status is processed.

Note to earn a status level (if not due to MMer companion status or a matched / challenge status), you need to meet all the required elements for the status level in a calendar year unless you are exempt / waived from a requirement
- PQMs
- PQDs
- 4 UA operated flight segments

Earn Silver / Gold / Plat / 1K this year, how long will it last?
If you earn a status level (not a challenge), it is good for the remainder of the year you earned it plus the full next calendar year plus January of the next year. So a minimum of 13 months up to 24 months. Example if you earn a new status in Aug of YYYY you will have at least the status until January YYYY+2

The app / card / website shows my status expiration as Jan XXXX but I thought it was Jan XXXX+1?
This is standard, the shown expirations date is always for the next January, it will be updated at the end of that January to the next year's January (if appropriate)

related thread
What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

And the reverse issue, when increasing a status level
How long / time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status] What to do ?
Print Wikipost

What is the UA elite status expiration / change date -- when does the app update?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by clin9383
... But now, my card says it expires 01/2020. That's where my confusion was. I thought it would have said 01/2021. Thanks.
That's standard, in January you will get a card for Jan 2021
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Should my elite status have been reset today, on January 1st 2020, if I did not meet the elite requirements the previous year? Or does it take a few days before my elite status is gone?

Thanks
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Should my elite status have been reset today, on January 1st 2020, if I did not meet the elite requirements the previous year? Or does it take a few days before my elite status is gone?

Thanks
I believe the rollover date is Jan 31.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bart889
I believe the rollover date is Jan 31.
That. You still have elite benefits for another month.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
I just got an e-mail saying: Welcome to Premier 1K status

It also says: Welcome to United MileagePlus® Premier® 1K® status: Your key to an enhanced travel experience at every step of your journey. Your membership materials will be arriving in 4 to 6 weeks

My digital membership card for Premier 1K shows it expires 01/2020. Does this e-mail from United probably mean I will have Premier 1K for all of 2020?

I was given Premier 1K in November 2019 and was told it would last all of 2020, but have my doubts if it really will as I got Premier 1K through a special promotion and am not sure things will actually correctly align. Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My digital membership card for Premier 1K shows it expires 01/2020. Does this e-mail from United probably mean I will have Premier 1K for all of 2020? ... everyone's igitial card is presently labeled as expiring on 31 Jan 2020 -- that is standard. The cards will change on 1 Feb 2020 to expiring 31 Jan 2021.

....I was given Premier 1K in November 2019 and was told it would last all of 2020, but have my doubts if it really will as I got Premier 1K through a special promotion and am not sure things will actually correctly align. Thanks.
The email seems to confirm that and the card will update in 1 Feb 2020 along with everyone else.

If you want further confirmation, go to https://mystatus.united.com which report your status for 2020.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 4, 2020 at 1:40 pm Reason: repaired formatting
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:15 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
In 2019 I was Premier Silver, but I qualified for Premier Gold for 2020. As soon as I hit Gold in miles flown in Nov. 2019, my digital membership card showed Gold, but it says valid through 1/2020, when it should be valid through12/2020. When I called UA, they said they'd fix it, but it hasn't changed. I haven't received the physical membership card yet (because I'm traveling), so I don't know what it says. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
In 2019 I was Premier Silver, but I qualified for Premier Gold for 2020. As soon as I hit Gold in miles flown in Nov. 2019, my digital membership card showed Gold, but it says valid through 1/2020, when it should be valid through12/2020. When I called UA, they said they'd fix it, but it hasn't changed. I haven't received the physical membership card yet (because I'm traveling), so I don't know what it says. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
yes, every year when mystatus says welcome to gs for 2020 but the app card still shows expires 1/2020 until feb hits, then it will update.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
yes, every year when mystatus says welcome to gs for 2020 but the app card still shows expires 1/2020 until feb hits, then it will update.
So, what will your physical membership card say, 1/2020? And then UA sends you another card in the mail to update that one?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:20 am

Yeah, they’ll send a new card eventually I assume. I currently still have the expired 1/2020 card.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
Yeah, they’ll send a new card eventually I assume. I currently still have the expired 1/2020 card.
I have yet to receive any notice from UA about my new status, although this past week my husband (who passed away 6 years ago) got a letter congratulating him on his Lifetime Platinum status. And, while I did get my choice of 2mm gift (I took the handbag), that came after I used the link on FlyerTalk, not through any physical communication with United.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mauld
I have yet to receive any notice from UA about my new status, although this past week my husband (who passed away 6 years ago) got a letter congratulating him on his Lifetime Platinum status. And, while I did get my choice of 2mm gift (I took the handbag), that came after I used the link on FlyerTalk, not through any physical communication with United.
sorry to hear about your husband.

i usually get radio silence from united as well, I just check my status and one day it updates. Never got a call or email for qualifying, not even the first year as GS.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:42 pm

So, what will your physical membership card say, 1/2020? And then UA sends you another card in the mail to update that one?
Just a heads up, Golds (and Silvers) do not get a physical card / membership kit -- but your virtual / digital app card will update in 1st Feb.

Plat and higher will get membership cards / kits by end of January (and earlier Feb in case of a few)
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just a heads up, Golds (and Silvers) do not get a physical card / membership kit -- but your virtual / digital app card will update in 1st Feb.

Plat and higher will get membership cards / kits by end of January (and earlier Feb in case of a few)
I've always gotten physical membership cards, either Gold or Silver, even back in the 90s, and I've received the physical Silver card for the last few years, so I would have to disagree.
When I called UA regarding the 1/2020 expiry date on the digital card, the rep asked me if I'd received the physical Gold card yet. Can you point to a UA source for this assertion?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:05 pm

I've always gotten physical membership cards, either Gold or Silver, even back in the 90s, and I've received the physical Silver card for the last few years, so I would have to disagree.
When I called UA regarding the 1/2020 expiry date on the digital card, the rep asked me if I'd received the physical Gold card yet. Can you point to a UA source for this assertion?
That is my personal experience (was Gold in 2018 and 2019) and the experience of many on FT
Premier Gold Physical Card not longer provided, options for *A lounge access?

No Gold card started in 2018
Originally Posted by COIAHLGW
So, I received my 2018 welcome packet from United today. I noticed that at Gold level, there wasn't even a membership card, just the luggage tag! So, will mobile versions of the card always be accepted where needed, or do people think there will be an additional mailing with a 2018 card?
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I also received a 2018 Gold kit today with no physical card - should I expect the LH lounge agents at FRA to not check for cards anymore?
See 2018 Premier Kits are Shipping - Have you received yours? for many such comments, as well as
2019 Premier Kit discussion - contents, pictures, actual delivery, ....

Would be very curious to see a recent picture of a Gild Level card. Could you post your 2019 Gold card? Of course with the personal information obscured.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.