Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the UA elite status expiration / change date -- when does the app update?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
When does elite status change, if lower. for the coming year?
Midnight (local time) 31 Jan 20xx
(website/mobile app resets Midnight Central USA / Chicago / Houston time)

If status, due to achieving a higher status, is high, the change should update quickly -- once the miles/PQMs post or reason for new higher status is processed.

Note to earn a status level (if not due to MMer companion status or a matched / challenge status), you need to meet all the required elements for the status level in a calendar year unless you are exempt / waived from a requirement
- PQMs
- PQDs
- 4 UA operated flight segments

Earn Silver / Gold / Plat / 1K this year, how long will it last?
If you earn a status level (not a challenge), it is good for the remainder of the year you earned it plus the full next calendar year plus January of the next year. So a minimum of 13 months up to 24 months. Example if you earn a new status in Aug of YYYY you will have at least the status until January YYYY+2

The app / card / website shows my status expiration as Jan XXXX but I thought it was Jan XXXX+1?
This is standard, the shown expirations date is always for the next January, it will be updated at the end of that January to the next year's January (if appropriate)

related thread
What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

And the reverse issue, when increasing a status level
How long / time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status] What to do ?
Print Wikipost

What is the UA elite status expiration / change date -- when does the app update?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: United
I didn't meet my status requirements but I still have status?!

Aloha, my travel situation has changed in the last few years after traveling quite frequently from 2007 - 2011 with a lifetime mileage of 632K. Last year I did not meet the minimum to stay Premier Silver, however, today I logged into my account and it showed "Premier Silver Member" ribbon and "Star Alliance Silver". I thought maybe with my lifetime mileage of over 600K I am Premier Silver for life but when I looked at "Lifetime Mileage" benefits, it started at 1 million miles. It's been so long since I was a travel fiend and kept up on all of the information. Does anyone know why I am still Premier Silver? With United, the new year does start on 1 January right? Thanks so much, Tim
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:50 pm

New status starts on Feb 1.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Your status expires at the end of January. If you didn't meet requirements for status byDec 31, you will drop down to general member on Feb 1.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
The new years start 1/1 for PQM, PQD, PQS but your elite status doesn't end until 1/31.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Pay attention to your elite card, it said specifically it is valid until 1/31/2017, it is normal, i suggest you should login to your MP accout to ser what it said in February
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Pay attention to your elite card, it said specifically it is valid until 1/31/2017, it is normal, i suggest you should login to your MP accout to ser what it said in February
^^
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: United
CRAP! Ha, I did not remember there being a fiscal year for the status. OK, I guess I am back of the bus for the rest of the year or at least until I get back to Silver or above! Thanks for the messages and information!!!!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tim Ashby
CRAP! Ha, I did not remember there being a fiscal year for the status. OK, I guess I am back of the bus for the rest of the year or at least until I get back to Silver or above! Thanks for the messages and information!!!!
Status has always been valid for a little bit of the following year. Most likely because folks may still have mileage earned in, say, 2016 that don't post until the early part of 2017, and also because it takes time to get credentials to all members so they can actually use it.

It wasn't that long ago that, PMUA, at least, benefits were good through the end of Feb....it only switched to end Jan. a few years ago.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I did not remember there being a fiscal year for the status.
It's more of a grace period.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It's common for other travel programs to do something similar. For example, National/Enterprise do February 28/29.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA
How long is premier status good for?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but the info on UAL's website is contradictory.

"Once you qualify for a Premier status, the status is valid from the date when you qualified through the end of the following Program year.

For example, if you meet the four flight segment minimum, earn 25,000 PQM and earn $3,000 PQD on June 1, you will reach Premier Silver status on that date, and it will be valid through the end of the Program year."

The first paragraph says that your status goes through the of the FOLLOWING year. The second paragraph seems to indicate it's only good for the current year. I'd always thought it was the following year but when I read this I thought maybe UAL might have changed their policy.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ual1234
The first paragraph says that your status goes through the of the FOLLOWING year. The second paragraph seems to indicate it's only good for the current year. I'd always thought it was the following year but when I read this I thought maybe UAL might have changed their policy.
The remainder of the year when it's acquired plus the entire following year. Any status you earn in 2017 will be valid until January 31, 2019.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Or in another simple way - your new status will always end with January 31, with a minimum 12-month validity.

So the new status will not expire until January 31 after that 12-month period.
sbm12 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
When does my Silver Elite status for 2017 expire?

Cant remember the if its end of Jan or end of Feb
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:15 am

End of Jan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.