Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

final flight of propeller plane for Big 3 airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united

United got rid of theirs in May. I am surprised that this huge story (the complete victory of the regional jet) hasn't gotten more play.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-05/the-airline-propeller-era-is-coming-to-an-end
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by dilanesp
United got rid of theirs in May. I am surprised that this huge story (the complete victory of the regional jet) hasn't gotten more play.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ming-to-an-end
Kind of sad, prop planes aren't bad.
vkng likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
Very sad indeed, anytime I can get onto a Silver Saab 340 with a UA connection I do it. There's something very different about flying on a prop job, almost a more pure flying experience.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Sad. Years and years of flying on the Dash 8 on USAirways at my previous location.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
We were served by the Q400 here at MTJ. It is the most unreliable commercial aircraft I have ever flown. The flight was often being canceled or having serious delays due to mechanical reasons. It had nice first class seating but that's not much use if it can't get you where you are going.

In general I don't have anything against turboprops and have a lot of time in the Twin Otter. However, in this case, I was glad to say goodbye, even though it was replaced mostly with by the aging and tired RJ145. Looking forward to more E175 in the future.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:32 pm

I love the Q-400, Air Canada, Porter and Alaska still fly them. I find them very comfortable planes!
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
It's probably related to the maintenance attention more than anything. As long as I had my noise canceling headphones I was always happy when they were actually flying! No doubt it was a better cabin than the RJ145.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
How many times has CO/UA and the various Express carriers had a "last propeller flight" and become an "all jet airline" just to go back to flying props a few years later? It has to be at least 3-4 going back to the start of the Jet Age, pretty much once every 10-15 years. Wonder if we'll be back again?
jsloan, wrp96, AceReport and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: 1K
This isn't sad
Marschel, Lori_Q, n198ua and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rstruthe
I love the Q-400, Air Canada, Porter and Alaska still fly them. I find them very comfortable planes!
Does Porter have something to do with landing issues at Toronto City Airport?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
It's probably related to the maintenance attention more than anything.
Pilot shortage, not maintenance issues. Also, upgauging of aircraft and jets are faster, even on the shorter routes.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
I'm glad UA and CO got rid of their Fokkers.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by EWR764
How many times has CO/UA and the various Express carriers had a "last propeller flight" and become an "all jet airline" just to go back to flying props a few years later? It has to be at least 3-4 going back to the start of the Jet Age, pretty much once every 10-15 years. Wonder if we'll be back again?
Yup, CO used to advertise their all jet fleet in CLE pretty heavily. Then they came back with a vengeance.
Good riddance.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Ironic it comes at a time of increasing gas prices.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by milepig

Does Porter have something to do with landing issues at Toronto City Airport?
Yes. Porter wanted to buy Bombardier C series jets but Justin Trudeau refused to allow them to use those planes at Toronto City Airport so Porter cancelled the order. Justin is to blame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.