Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CPT from ORD question - cheapest *A routing not on UA.com {plating restrictions}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CPT from ORD question - cheapest *A routing not on UA.com {plating restrictions}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Note that only UA metal PQD counts for GS.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by tmo454
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Although I am well past the 12k Spend I only have a few more long hauls this year. Trying to get the golden goose of GS for the first time. Sitting at 36K spend so far so I need all the PQD's I can get but was hoping to spread it around on a few trips and not spend 14K on one flight...

Anyway, thanks again for the help, Always appreciated.
If you want to max PQDs and UA metal, there are some $4-$5k business fares on IAD/IAH-FRA-CPT with the first segment on UA and the second one on LH. The fares are only on certain dates and would require a positioning flight from ORD, but if you really want GS...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services -- Marriott Ambassador Elite - AA Gold
Originally Posted by DA201
If you want to max PQDs and UA metal, there are some $4-$5k business fares on IAD/IAH-FRA-CPT with the first segment on UA and the second one on LH. The fares are only on certain dates and would require a positioning flight from ORD, but if you really want GS...

I think that is what i'll end up doing, Better to get something for it than nothing.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
There's a P fare via IAD/ZRH that can be booked without plating restrictions. Whether UA will book it when you call YMMV.

Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by prestonh
There's a P fare via IAD/ZRH that can be booked without plating restrictions. Whether UA will book it when you call YMMV.
With 45 !! hours of layovers on the outboard -- I'd pass.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Isn't Austrian airlines *A? They fly to CPT. Have you looked at fares on Austrian?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by tmo454
Hello All,

I need to travel to Cape Town in October from Chicago. Trying to book in J class, if I look on the United site there are a few options but all of them over $11,000 for Business Class. However if I look on Kayak I see an option with Turkish for around $4,000. Knowing that Turkish is a Star Alliance member, why can't I see that option with United? If I book through Turkish can I change it to a 016 ticket number as I believe I get additional PQM's or PQD's right?
United is not interested in selling you J class on Turkish airline, especially on cheap fares, at least not on united.com. Maybe a travel agent can help you.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by prestonh

You can ticket this on 016. Just one caveat ... the WK flight ZRH-CPT will only earn 100% PQM and not 200% like an LX operated flight would.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
United is not interested in selling you J class on Turkish airline, especially on cheap fares, at least not on united.com. Maybe a travel agent can help you.
For that particular TK fare, not on 016 ticket stock, which was the OP's query
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Booking on TK ticket stock will not provide UA PQDs. Booking a TK flight will not provide LT BIS.
What you are running into is called "plating restrictions", many airlines are restriction their best fares to only be purchased on their ticket stock or a few others. This is undermining the value of alliances and has been around for years but these restrictions have been significantly increasing over the past year or two.

Very understandable this is a surprise to many, it is one of those "insider" things that most travelers are not aware of but is regularly discussed on FT.
I'd like to second that observation. It used to be that it was always cheaper to have UA ticket an AC flight between Canada/USA (in some cases it was 50% less than what AC was charging!) However recently that has changed and either you cannot ticket it on UA or if you can it's in a silly fare bucket that is order of magnitude more than what AC is charging. This start happening perhaps a month ago between AC and UA. However, if you have an itinerary that has a mixture of UA and *A partner segments those segments/sectors are still priced cheaper than if you bought them separately from the airline so at least we still have that!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With 45 !! hours of layovers on the outboard -- I'd pass.
Don't exaggerate. It's only 35 hours of layovers.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:05 am

and this is exactly why being a free agent makes the most sense.. especially when flying in J/F since you get most of the benefits of having status (lounge access, priority boarding, etc). and it makes life so much easier...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by omaralt
and this is exactly why being a free agent makes the most sense.. especially when flying in J/F since you get most of the benefits of having status (lounge access, priority boarding, etc). and it makes life so much easier...
Quite right. I only need my 1K status when I'm not flying in J - or need to upgrade to get into it.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Quite right. I only need my 1K status when I'm not flying in J - or need to upgrade to get into it.
but everybody wants to feel special :P
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Or want your first choice of meal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.