Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fasttrack to 4MM and Lifetime Global Services

Fasttrack to 4MM and Lifetime Global Services

Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
When you wake up in the morning, hopefully the first thought is “What in heck was I thinking?????”
not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
When you wake up in the morning, hopefully, the first thought is “What in the heck was I thinking?????”
Indeed...

My math was off so with the new understanding of the LT qualification being BIS it really doesn't seem possible at all. For clarity on other points above. I already spend about $50k/year on flights so wasn't really proposing to spend $50k/year x 8 years for GS. Rather changing my patterns and the flights to get to GS as fast as possible which with PQM semed entirely possible.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyme2theriver
Indeed...

My math was off so with the new understanding of the LT qualification being BIS it really doesn't seem possible at all. For clarity on other points above. I already spend about $50k/year on flights so wasn't really proposing to spend $50k/year x 8 years for GS. Rather changing my patterns and the flights to get to GS as fast as possible which with PQM semed entirely possible.
You're currently spending ~$50,000 per year on an average of ~45,000 miles per year of travel? And you're 1K and not GS?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You're currently spending ~$50,000 per year on an average of ~45,000 miles per year of travel? And you're 1K and not GS?
I think what the op meant to say is that he spends $50K on any airline in a year.... But he should just stick to UA and he'd probably be GS.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by am1108
I think what the op meant to say is that he spends $50K on any airline in a year.... But he should just stick to UA and he'd probably be GS.
But if he's 1K, that would require at least 33,333 miles on UA and/or partner airlines at 3x PQM. The math doesn't seem to add up here, either.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'd rather spend $50k a year on a different vanity project, but hey, it's your money. Go for it if you want it. I gasped when you said you don't fly for work, cuz I thought you'd be at 1MM or 2MM already or something. This is gonna be a lot of "leisure" for sure.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Wow, that's some plan. I left my consultating job and have around 700k lifetime miles. While I'm sure I'll get to a million one day, I'm not even looking at that. For comfort I book mainly SQ to Asia to avoid 10 acorss UA.

Good luck!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by zrs70
My two shekels of caution: UA might change the program at any time. The rug may be pulled out of the 8 year plan along the way.
So whatta think this means when I check "MY UNITED STATUS?"

Your MileagePlus membership at a glance;

On behalf of the entire United family, thank you for the opportunity to serve you. As a 3 Million Miler, your status won't fall below Premier 1K, even if you travel less in the future.
Your
Lifetime flight miles are 3,337,876

2 shekels cents worth, without all the manufactured, redundant, hyperbole, would probably appear less extreme, and dramatic, at this point!

Just my dos pesos worth, without having Pancho Villa riding into town and shooting up main street, and scaring the hell out of everyone, for nothing!!!

not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Two Bee

On behalf of the entire United family, thank you for the opportunity to serve you. As a 3 Million Miler, your status won't fall below Premier 1K, even if you travel less in the future.
Your

2 shekels cents worth, without all the manufactured, redundant, hyperbole, would probably appear less extreme, and dramatic, at this point!

Just my dos pesos worth, without having Pancho Villa riding into town and shooting up main street, and scaring the hell out of everyone, for nothing!!!

That’s fine if you have already reached a hurdle and have been awarded the prize. I think the point is there is no guarantee that if the OP (or anyone) spends the next 8 years striving for 4MM that Lifetime GS will be the reward at the end of 8 years. The benefits of GS are hardly cast in stone either.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

That’s fine if you have already reached a hurdle and have been awarded the prize. I think the point is there is no guarantee that if the OP (or anyone) spends the next 8 years striving for 4MM that Lifetime GS will be the reward at the end of 8 years. The benefits of GS are hardly cast in stone either.
I don't believe that UA is gonna screw with the few that achieve GS for life as a 4 MM Flyer. I know that this airline has pulled the rug out from under many folks over the years (me too), but to mess with a super loyal customer doesn't seem logical to me, as if/when this got out there, and if it happened, there would be hell to pay, and pretty much be right up there with crapping in their own nest. Naw, there are a lot of things to get one's bloomers ruffled over, but yanking top status, after a fortune was invested, ain't gonna be one of them, imho.

Frankly, I'm getting bored with all the nay-saying about being loyal, and inferring one is stupid for remaining in a particular program, by showing a company continual trust. If a person is that scared that GS status is going to be taken from them, then they should save their money, stay home, and play bridge, or canasta, thus eliminating one (probably ain't gonna happen) right around the next bend, disaster in their lives.

This sky is falling inference pops up in nearly every thread that an O/P asks about achieving/striving for a certain status.

With NOTHING to back it up!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Clarity: I’m not saying UA would revoke earned lifetime status. But they could change the mechanism to earn it.

Originally Posted by Two Bee

Your

Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Sounds like a great plan....... Are you out of your mind?
cruisr and not2017 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2018 at 2:11 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My feedback: I agree with your wife.
I think its more like "I agree with your soon to be ex-wife" If you were at 2.5MM I would think your time/$$$ was better spent just going where you want, paying for J (you can pay for a lot of J for $50K/year), and forgetting about GS (which is not really worth as much as some people seem to assume) but I would not think you were Batguno crazy, but if you are at 350K miles, forget about it. Unless you travel heavily for work (as in 200k+/year) life time GS is not going to happen.

And I might add that I am a few thousand miles short of 2MM, and shifted about 150K miles/year away from UA starting in 2013. Had I stuck it out with UA I would likely have hit 3MM in another year or so, and would have undoubtedly have hit 4MM well before retirement. But flying United ex-SFO (vs other, better airlines) was not worth it for lifetime GS...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:28 am

Nobody could seriously consider spending $400k to get airline status for life.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2018 at 2:12 pm Reason: Discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by zrs70
Clarity: I’m not saying UA would revoke earned lifetime status. But they could change the mechanism to earn it.

Anything's possible, but personally I've got thousands of other things that could go south, that I could waste my time worrying about rather then if UAL has plans to screw me down the road!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.