Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Horrific CS when United would not honor Fare-Lock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist

A few days ago I booked a flight to MCO from LAX. We live In Pismo and our airport is SBP but we get lower fares from SFO or LAX. I found a great itin via IAH in F with a nice config. The fare was over 2K for both of us. I had to arrange some finances, so I purchased the 7 day fare lock. Today I got an email reminding me that it would expire on 7/6. I clicked on the link to purchase and was sent to the normal UA web site which I visit regularly on the web and on the App.

I entered my payment info and got an error message. So I called the UA Prem number. (At this time I'm only a eager Silver member.) I gave the agent the PNR and she said the reservation had been cancelled. She said that the fare was no longer available. I informed her that I had purchased a 7 day fare lock and that I was trying to pay for the tickets online because of the email I received. She had to call the supervisor. After waiting on hold for about 10 minutes she came back on to tell me thay had made "a special exception" for me since the fare was no longer available. I reiterated that I had purchased the fare lock which was good until 7/6. She said that I would have to pay right now (which I had been planning to do) because of the special exception. When I countered that I was trying to pay online, she told me there was a software glitch.

I responded that if there was an issue on their side, thry should not have to make a "special exception" for me and they should have apologized. No response.....

I then stated that I would take my business to AS which now has a presence in SBP. I used to be in the highest tier before we moved to Europe in 2010. Rather than trying to fix it she just said goodbye.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Nobbi
A few days ago I booked a flight to MCO from LAX. We live In Pismo and our airport is SBP but we get lower fares from SFO or LAX. I found a great itin via IAH in F with a nice config. The fare was over 2K for both of us. I had to arrange some finances, so I purchased the 7 day fare lock. Today I got an email reminding me that it would expire on 7/6. I clicked on the link to purchase and was sent to the normal UA web site which I visit regularly on the web and on the App.

I entered my payment info and got an error message. So I called the UA Prem number. (At this time I'm only a eager Silver member.) I gave the agent the PNR and she said the reservation had been cancelled. She said that the fare was no longer available. I informed her that I had purchased a 7 day fare lock and that I was trying to pay for the tickets online because of the email I received. She had to call the supervisor. After waiting on hold for about 10 minutes she came back on to tell me thay had made "a special exception" for me since the fare was no longer available. I reiterated that I had purchased the fare lock which was good until 7/6. She said that I would have to pay right now (which I had been planning to do) because of the special exception. When I countered that I was trying to pay online, she told me there was a software glitch.

I responded that if there was an issue on their side, thry should not have to make a "special exception" for me and they should have apologized. No response.....

I then stated that I would take my business to AS which now has a presence in SBP. I used to be in the highest tier before we moved to Europe in 2010. Rather than trying to fix it she just said goodbye.
I understand that you are trying to re-establish elite status with a US carrier, but what you experienced is not at all unusual with UA or any of the other American carriers. When you call-out a US CS agent these days, or give them attitude, they usually respond negatively, and the Asian carriers are merciless, even worse than the US carriers. When I interact with CS these days, I never demand anything or become confrontational, especially over semantic, tonal or connotational issues (in other words, you actually won the negotiation but allowed her characterization of the transaction as, "a special exception", to cause you to demand an apology, thereby losing everything you had gained). Threatening to take your business elsewhere really means nothing to them these days. If you read around a bit here in the UA forum, you will find the even GSs and 1Ks get told "no" all the time by CS agents, even for reasonable, mundane requests.

Things really have changed since 2010.
I hope you can find a carrier that meets your needs.

Good Luck!

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 4, 2018 at 1:59 am
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: United 3MM GS
Appears to me you set out to spike your reservation, and you achieved your goal
Congratulations
diburning and FSUnole03 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
That’s not what horrific means.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:02 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
That’s not what horrific means.
Exactly.

Had they sworn at you or refused your reservation or somehow otherwise outrageously treated you, that might (MIGHT) reach the levels of "Horrific".

You experienced bad customer service. Not out of the ordinary, and it stinks that this happens and continues to happen, but it happens and it's bad. That's all.

I hope you never have to deal with V******N
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
CS is about providing the service. In this case, regardless right or wrong, the goal of your call has been accomplished.

I don't see why you have to bother something like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like business as usual. Let's move on to next.
gene2632 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the contrary. OP received top-notch customer service, was unappreciative, got into an argument about irrelevant details with the agent, told her he was taking his business elsewhere, so she ended the call. What else would a reasonable person expect given that the underlying error had already occurred. These things happen on the best-run carriers in the world. Customer service is about making it right.

1. Something went wrong. We do not know what. Perhaps it was UA, perhaps it was OP, perhaps it was some combination of the two.
2. OP called UA and a supervisor authorized a full service recovery.
3. OP then got in an argument with the agent about whether it was appropriate for UA to grant this as an exception or as a matter of contract. He also intended to pay online immediately after the call, but was asked to pay over the phone. Again, no big deal.
4. OP told the agent that he was taking his business to AS. So, the agent ended the call.

Telephone calls are a great way to fix the immediate problem. If you want a customer service agent to research and then implement technology or other changes on the spot, that is not going to happen. OP was the beneficiary of a supervisor realizing that doing the research to determine what went wrong, who was at fault, and what ought to be done, could be a weeks' long process and might well result in disappointment for the OP. So, she apparently obtained approval to force space in the original fare bucket. But, when that happens, it needs to be dealt with on the spot. A slightly tougher issue if OP had wanted to wait until 7/6 to pay, but he did not.

OP got exactly what he paid for and then snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I see great service on AS from SBP to MCO. Departing at 11:28 AM and arriving the next morning at 5:47 AM with a connection at SEA.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I see great service on AS from SBP to MCO. Departing at 11:28 AM and arriving the next morning at 5:47 AM with a connection at SEA.
And the nice thing about the AS flight is that OP will have the seven hour layover in Seattle to reflect further on the "horrific CS" he received and savor the sweet satisfaction that comes from knowing he taught United a lesson by taking his business elsewhere.
Auto Enthusiast and seat38a like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Let’s not pile on too hard. While the trnsactation worked, I agree that UA should not have made the op feel like he was getting a special favor. I would have an issue with that as well.

That said, I would not have reacted the way the op did either.
Gig103 and greg99 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
This actually is a bug and happened to me as well. Had fare locked a Dca- Ewr reservation and went to purchase it on day 5 and as soon as I clicked it, it straight away said the reservation doesn’t exist or was canceled. Called UA immediately and they told me that I had canceled it. I was dumbfounded and just plainly told them that the link I clicked was the purchase reservation, not cancel. The fare had gone up by $80 in the 5 days since I had blocked it. The CS rep had to get the fare desk to reprice it and regenerate the fare and have them give it to me. Even then it wouldn’t ticket. Had to call again and get a supervisor to ticket it.

so it’s a bug happening to multiple people or so it seems.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I agree with most of what has been said on here. OP had an issue trying to make a purchase online - and called - and a supervisor fixed the issue as the OP wanted (and as they should have), but then OP went to town on them on an issue of semantics. That’s never a smart thing when they are doing what they want.

The sup hanging up is certainly not what should have happened, IMO - that is where I will disagree with some. They could have responded with something like ‘sir, I’m happy to complete your purchase at the farelocked rate, or just tell me if you are no longer interested’ and then OP could proceed as they wished. Wondering though, if it’s possible the sup didn’t hang up, but a very unfortunately timed line getting cut off - it’s happened to me before - and in the fog of OP arguing, they could have misconstrued as a hang up.

Unfortunately, the front line don’t always have as much patience as they always should. However, I’d guess they often get a lot of excuses from callers about why they should waive this phone booking fee, or that change fee, even though there is no real reason. These days, people try to take advantage of every situation to save a buck - and Therefore, unfortunately, it is hard for agents to just take a customers word for it all the time. In this case, with the farelock, there is proof of the situation so the fare could be re-built. OP took it too far though. Perhaps another call could be made to complete the purchase, if OP is still interested. Or maybe they’ve made the purchase on AS while still not taking any of the blame for pushing back too much.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you stated you were taking your business to AS, their was nothing to fix. Game over.
Presumably you have now booked on AS.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:31 am

but deal over nothing

This thread is a big deal about a problem that did not exist. They solved the problem and now you manufacture one
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trk1
This thread is a big deal about a problem that did not exist. They solved the problem and now you manufacture one
And AS have won

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.