Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Horrific CS when United would not honor Fare-Lock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrific CS when United would not honor Fare-Lock

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’m still waiting for the punchline that makes this horrific.
+1
Some people are choosing to ignore the fact that we are only hearing one side of the story, especially in light of the use of hyperbolic terminology.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sylaw72

I think the CS agent ending the call as described is very proper.
The CS agent already got her answer, which is that the OP is taking her business elsewhere.
So there is no longer any need to stay on the phone.
From my reading of the OP, the phone went silent prior to the poster ranting about going to AS. My interpretation was therefore the call was done prior to this, and it just took until the rant about going to AS for them to realize. Perhaps I’m wrong, if it’s not explained clearly, this kind of context is hard to gauge on an Internet forum, but just my take based on how I read the post.

Either way, it couldn’t have hurt for the agent to confirm before closing out the call with something indicating they were going to hang up the phone (how about something like “I’m sorry you won’t be flying with us this trip, but we hope you’ll fly with us again soon. Goodbye “). It’s not really that hard.

I get agenrs have bad days, or don’t like dealing with difficult customers, as the OP was in this case. However, they are frontline agents who have to deal with all sorts of situations - some easy, some not so easy, some frustrating and probably everything else in between - getting yelled at for items that aren’t their fault, etc. but if hey are on the front line, they need to learn how to deal with this without hanging up on people, period.

Originally Posted by boolean64
OP: "Hi, i paid $10 (or however much fare lock is) and would like you to honor it"
CS: "as a special exception, we will allow you to receive the service for which you paid"

If I had paid for something and was told that they were making a special exception to honor the product i had purchased, i'd also be annoyed. Don't make it like honoring a purchase is akin to doing me a favor. Unclear i would have taken my business to AS, but i agree with the OP that this is unacceptable CS.
the ‘special exception’ language is semantics, and while it’s not being particularly honest about the situation, in the end, that is meaningless. The agent did what was required to get what the OP paid for - the price they Farelocked. Calling it an exception certainly isn’t ideal, but the end result is the same. Going on a rant about that was just silly, and potentially cost OP what they wanted - getting this ticketed at the price guaranteed despite the website tech issue.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We do not know OP's tone. All we know is what he says he said. Agents are trained to end calls when they are abused and this rant came close to it once the agent (supervisor) had fixed the problem.

Every customer-facing service faces the problem of the customer who can't be made happy. When that customer is identified, it is throwing good money after bad to try to retain him. Best he heads off to AS while UA can spend the time on someone who will either appreciate or accept that the problem was fixed.
Steve M and Meola10 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:56 pm

Saying they're making a special exception and hanging up on a customer is absolutely not professional behavior in any competitive industry. Only thing OP did wrong was forgetting the airline industry is not competitive and doesn't have to to be professional. I do agree its not horrific

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2018 at 12:40 am Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
If this is horrific, then you must not travel much.
This is just typical UA IT and service. Hope AS works out better for you.
I agree, I would not have handled it the way OP did. But I know a lot of people who would have been POed to be told that they would get a "one time exception" but had to pay right then, when they have paid $$$ for a fare lock. What is the purpose of a fare lock? You give you $$$ to UA, then you have to call and beg them to make an exception for you and honor the bargain you made with them?

Do they take a similar approach to safety? Do they take a similar approach to passenger interactions? Do they maintain their planes with a similar attitude?

Something is funky on UA's end, and while the agent "cut an exception" lots of people will not want to do business with a company that reacts this way when they are (it appears) in the wrong.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by spin88
I agree, I would not have handled it the way OP did. But I know a lot of people who would have been POed to be told that they would get a "one time exception" but had to pay right then, when they have paid $$$ for a fare lock. What is the purpose of a fare lock? You give you $$$ to UA, then you have to call and beg them to make an exception for you and honor the bargain you made with them?

Do they take a similar approach to safety? Do they take a similar approach to passenger interactions? Do they maintain their planes with a similar attitude?

Something is funky on UA's end, and while the agent "cut an exception" lots of people will not want to do business with a company that reacts this way when they are (it appears) in the wrong.
Clearly UA is in the wrong here on the IT fail and the CS fail. But UA can act the way it does and stay in business as the competition (aside from small players like B6) are all the same rubbish.
Either way this is typical UA, not horrific UA.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I forget the thread, but I had a fare lock disappear a few months ago. While speaking with an agent (good one), it wasn't the first time she had heard of it. She had someone working to rebuild the trip, when I realized is was simply cheaper to book a new trip with a few dollar savings. Something is broke within UA IT for fare lock, and apparently has yet to be fixed.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I forget the thread, but I had a fare lock disappear a few months ago. While speaking with an agent (good one), it wasn't the first time she had heard of it. She had someone working to rebuild the trip, when I realized is was simply cheaper to book a new trip with a few dollar savings. Something is broke within UA IT for fare lock, and apparently has yet to be fixed.
But fare lock isn't a guarantee of the lowest price? It's just the price at the time of purchase of that farelock. Many times I've purchased farelock only to have the fare drop $150 or more before its expiration.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
But fare lock isn't a guarantee of the lowest price? It's just the price at the time of purchase of that farelock. Many times I've purchased farelock only to have the fare drop $150 or more before its expiration.
Correct. I simply made it easier on the agent to book the new fare rather than attempt to rebuild the fare lock. The cost difference was minimal, and even if it was a few dollars more I would have been fine. Fare lock is a great tool from UA, but not if it disappears into a black hole.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The other burning question: if UA cancelled the fare lock before the expiration date, did OP get the fare lock fee refunded?

Otherwise, I wonder what a credit card dispute would result in.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Angry No Fare-Lock because No Fares!

Had a similar issue as OP with a $671 fare-lock, which just disappeared. After an hour with CS on hotline, I was offered an alternative fare of $759. After agreeing to book without telephone booking fee, I was told ... I'm sorry, that fare is no longer available ... literally within seconds of making me the offer. I was told the lowest fare was now $832. CS connected me to a supervisor who offered me a $788 fare saying that neither the $759 fare or $671 fares were ever valid prices for that route. Since both fares were offered both online and by a CS agent on the holtine, there is clearly a glitch in the system. The practice of offering fares and fare-locks on non-existent seats is more than irritating, so I understand the frustrations voiced here. I wound up booking the $788 fare online because the CS was taking so long talking to the fare desk. To make matters even worse, the united booking site offered me an economy plus "bundle" for $143 each way, which I gladly accepted. After logging in, though, that bundle jumped to $240! The CS returned only to tell me she couldn't help, but that it would be best for me to take the online offer, but not log-in to my account in order to get the lower priced bundle offer. Does that mean they are doing differential pricing...and I'm just the "sucker" who United thinks they can "trick" into paying more. Bad news. I tried to stay nice and calm...but I think they know I was pissed off.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by piazzalu
Had a similar issue as OP with a $671 fare-lock, which just disappeared.
Welcome to FT!

I assume you have a receipt showing the fare lock price? I’d expect UA to honor it, whether it disappeared or not.

After an hour with CS on hotline, I was offered an alternative fare of $759. After agreeing to book without telephone booking fee, I was told ... I'm sorry, that fare is no longer available ... literally within seconds of making me the offer. I was told the lowest fare was now $832.
So, if you bypass the issue with the FareLock, this may actually make sense. Prices can actually change at any time; this isn’t necessarily a glitch.

CS connected me to a supervisor who offered me a $788 fare saying that neither the $759 fare or $671 fares were ever valid prices for that route. Since both fares were offered both online and by a CS agent on the holtine, there is clearly a glitch in the system.
Is there any chance that the $671 price was the base fare, without taxes? There have been isolated reports over the past week or so of people having the price change between the search results and the payment process. I think it would have “corrected” itself before you got to the FareLock point, though. Still, this sounds like a MOLS (Mistaken or Lying Supervisor); I’d be shocked if most call-center supervisors would know how to find out whether or not a fare had “ever” been valid, even within a short period of time.

I wound up booking the $788 fare online because the CS was taking so long talking to the fare desk.
While that’s certainly your right, keep in mind that UA gives you 24 hours to cancel a booking, should you care to try the FareLock process again.

To make matters even worse, the united booking site offered me an economy plus "bundle" for $143 each way, which I gladly accepted. After logging in, though, that bundle jumped to $240! The CS returned only to tell me she couldn't help, but that it would be best for me to take the online offer, but not log-in to my account in order to get the lower priced bundle offer. Does that mean they are doing differential pricing
UA will happily toss out bundle prices at several different price points in order to see what sticks. I wouldn’t take it personally.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Whether MOLS or "glitch" it does appear something's *wrong* with the fare system if a CS rep can quote a price, which they cannot fulfill. It was the supervisor who told me he has a system to "lookup" what fares were available on a particular day and told me that both fares given were never available...and yes, both were including taxes and fees. The fact that Upgrade bundles change (i.e. are higher) after logging in actually discourages loyalty. I hope UA reads these comments...but probably they're just letting the AI bots do the listening.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Farelock is not free. You pay money for it. If UA is not willing to uphold their end of this contract, they need to be held accountable. Saying "it's an IT glitch" is just as acceptable as "the dog ate my homework", i.e., not acceptable at all.

Take a screen shot when you buy Farelock to be used as evidence that UA is engaging in bait-and-switch.

Telling the customer that they're making a "special exception" is lame. Do they make a "special exception" when they let you board the plane, or are they fulfilling their end of a contract?

It's not "horrific" customer service. It's normal UA customer service. It's bad, yes, and it is unacceptable for them to break a contract and then make excuses.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And AS have won
I'm not so sure AS won either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.