Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Horrific CS when United would not honor Fare-Lock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrific CS when United would not honor Fare-Lock

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:41 am

OP's primary mistake in this instance was to assume that customers would be treated as valued assets. That used to be so, but ain't no mo'.
halls120 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:06 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
This may have been a schedule change during the fare lock period. I had this happen once and they said right away they they would honor the fare but it would take some doing to get everything back. 30 minutes and several holds later it was ticketed at the original price and the new flights.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
1. This is not horrific. Really hope OP never experiences a horrific situation but if they do they will see the difference.
2. As others noted UA agreed to honor the fare. Desired outcome (I think).
3. CS agent uses terminology OP does not like, but CS agent does not know which is true and an attorney would tell the CS agent not to agree UA made a mistake (for legal reasons in a very litigious society).
4. OP gets angry so threatens to take business to AS.
5. AS gets the business from OP.
6. UA gets to sell the seat at a higher price.

Win/win for AS and UA.

I rarely get angry with CS agents. Goal is to achieve the desired result. Most of the time the person I am speaking to did not cause the problem so getting angry at them is an exercise in futility. I can be frustrated at the situation, but again generally not the fault of the person I am talking to for resolution.
My curiosity is what happened to the fare lock fee?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
1. This is not horrific. Really hope OP never experiences a horrific situation but if they do they will see the difference.
2. As others noted UA agreed to honor the fare. Desired outcome (I think).
3. CS agent uses terminology OP does not like, but CS agent does not know which is true and an attorney would tell the CS agent not to agree UA made a mistake (for legal reasons in a very litigious society).
4. OP gets angry so threatens to take business to AS.
5. AS gets the business from OP.
6. UA gets to sell the seat at a higher price.

Win/win for AS and UA.

I rarely get angry with CS agents. Goal is to achieve the desired result. Most of the time the person I am speaking to did not cause the problem so getting angry at them is an exercise in futility. I can be frustrated at the situation, but again generally not the fault of the person I am talking to for resolution.
My curiosity is what happened to the fare lock fee?
Presumably the fee is history. OP locked the fare and never purchased the ticket. Lots of people do that and it is the very reason for selling the lock.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG LT Plat,
Originally Posted by Nobbi
I then stated that I would take my business to AS which now has a presence in SBP. ...............Rather than trying to fix it she just said goodbye.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
The sup hanging up is certainly not what should have happened, IMO - that is where I will disagree with some. They could have responded with something like ‘sir, I’m happy to complete your purchase at the farelocked rate, or just tell me if you are no longer interested’ and then OP could proceed as they wished.

I think the CS agent ending the call as described is very proper.
The CS agent already got her answer, which is that the OP is taking her business elsewhere.
So there is no longer any need to stay on the phone.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by sylaw72
I think the CS agent ending the call as described is very proper.

The CS agent already got her answer, which is that the OP is taking her business elsewhere.
So there is no longer any need to stay on the phone.
Few folks in the customer service business would choose to have their staff end a call with a potential customer that way.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:40 pm

OP: "Hi, i paid $10 (or however much fare lock is) and would like you to honor it"
CS: "as a special exception, we will allow you to receive the service for which you paid"

If I had paid for something and was told that they were making a special exception to honor the product i had purchased, i'd also be annoyed. Don't make it like honoring a purchase is akin to doing me a favor. Unclear i would have taken my business to AS, but i agree with the OP that this is unacceptable CS.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Exactly.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by boolean64
OP: "Hi, i paid $10 (or however much fare lock is) and would like you to honor it"
CS: "as a special exception, we will allow you to receive the service for which you paid"

If I had paid for something and was told that they were making a special exception to honor the product i had purchased, i'd also be annoyed. Don't make it like honoring a purchase is akin to doing me a favor. Unclear i would have taken my business to AS, but i agree with the OP that this is unacceptable CS.
Ok..but why not just pay for it first. And then pick a fight.
Do you (or the OP) really think that picking a fight with a CS (that has the power to grant/deny your request) is the right first course of action?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Few folks in the customer service business would choose to have their staff end a call with a potential customer that way.
Few folks in the customer service business would make such a statement without having first listened to the recordings of the call, rather than basing such comments on the customers account of such a call.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Often1
On the contrary. OP received top-notch customer service, was
Top notch? I don’t think so. The OP should feel that the “special exception” is a good outcome?! Are we all suffering from Stockholm Syndrom here?

The agent should have explained that there was an unfortunate system problem and that they worked around it to get the customer what they paid for. No special exception.

Then the agent should apologize for the inconvenience and assure the customer that the root cause will be investigated to prevent future problems for this or other customers.

Different problem, but that is exactly what I experienced with Alaska Airlines about a year ago. Imagine my shock, as a long time UA customer and relatively new AS elite, when about an hour after the initial call (that worked around the problem) my cellphone rings and it is the same agent calling me back to tell me that they had looked further into the issue and identified the root cause (I wasn’t on the upgrade list when I should have).

That is top notch customer service.

leler85 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nobbi
I then stated that I would take my business to AS which now has a presence in SBP. I used to be in the highest tier before we moved to Europe in 2010. Rather than trying to fix it she just said goodbye.
Can you explain exactly what you're trying to get out of this post? You said you would take your business to AS, there was no additional action she needed to take, so she ended the phone call. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Hint: she was trying to give you a free win by terming it a "special exemption". Next time, take the hint and run with it.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agree with the others who mention that, if the OP considers it "horrific CS" for an airline's customer service to agree to honor a quoted price, then bailing on United *right now* is the right choice. Do not fly United again. Oh my goodness gracious if your expectations are up there, you are only going to be disappointed. I am talking like "The Shining" scary is in your future unless you flee ASAP. "Get Out", as it were. Good choice. Run.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’m still waiting for the punchline that makes this horrific.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
If this is horrific, then you must not travel much.
This is just typical UA IT and service. Hope AS works out better for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.