Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award ticket booked Economy X Light on Swiss? Bag allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Award ticket booked Economy X Light on Swiss? Bag allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by COSYR
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Has anyone had any luck with seats? I am on a UA ticket, X fare, no flights on UA metal. Starting on AC, then LH, then LX, after our LH flight was discontinued. On AC, we are on Rouge, which I think always charges for seats, and on both AC and LH, we were able to get free seat assignments. (They had fees for exit rows, etc.) Looking at the itinerary on LX it says fare X. It doesn't say light anywhere, and it doesn't make the bag fee part obvious, it just gives the option for Additional baggage. No where does it say whether that 'additional' baggage is the 1st bag or the 2nd. Long story short, I'm not concerned about the bag, as we'll probably carry on anyway, and if we want to check, there's nothing you can do before you get to the airport (I would just show them my UA itinerary that shows 1 free bag). But I do not want to wait until the airport to get a seat assignment for a transatlantic flight.

Any tips for speaking to LX?
I was in a similar situation; flying TLV-ZRH with *G and still would not get seat assigned.
I ended up paying for a more comfortable seat in coach and it was worth it.
The number of bags is very unclear on LX website. They are very helpful if you call
I was happy with the entire LX experience (again, being *G may have jaded me)
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by COSYR
Has anyone had any luck with seats? I am on a UA ticket, X fare, no flights on UA metal. Starting on AC, then LH, then LX, after our LH flight was discontinued. On AC, we are on Rouge, which I think always charges for seats, and on both AC and LH, we were able to get free seat assignments. (They had fees for exit rows, etc.) Looking at the itinerary on LX it says fare X. It doesn't say light anywhere, and it doesn't make the bag fee part obvious, it just gives the option for Additional baggage. No where does it say whether that 'additional' baggage is the 1st bag or the 2nd. Long story short, I'm not concerned about the bag, as we'll probably carry on anyway, and if we want to check, there's nothing you can do before you get to the airport (I would just show them my UA itinerary that shows 1 free bag). But I do not want to wait until the airport to get a seat assignment for a transatlantic flight.

Any tips for speaking to LX?
X is NOT a lite fare. You get your std bag allowance on LX depending on the ticket/route and whatever else determines bag allowance. You also get 1 extra bag as a *G

You can get a seat assignment, but you need to pay. Every airline has different rules when it comes to seat assignments. LX in X-class does not come with free seat assignments.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2020 at 9:24 pm Reason: Snark is not helpful
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Data point confirming economy award ticket on LX gets *G baggage allowance, even where ticket receipt and reservation say no free bags.

Booked LX intra-Europe award ticket (BCN-ZRH) in X (economy) using UA miles. Receipt and reservation showed no free bags. Got 1 + 1 at check-in as *G (I assume 23 kg, but not tested, as both bags were under that). LX pre-assigned us exit row seats. Also got access to Sala VIP Pau Casals, a very nice, spacious lounge. Note that *S companion on same PNR was not allowed to use Fasttrack security.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 16, 2022 at 10:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.