Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Family removed from UA 3493 on 28 June 2018

Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I was waiting to push back on UA 3493 last Thursday morning and it turns out somebody else wasn't ready. There was a guy just standing in the aisle of row 20. The FA came on and said they needed everyone seated & buckled, then waited a few minutes. Then the pilot came on the PA and said the same thing -- by FAA rules they couldn't push back until he got the all clear that everyone was seated & buckled. Then the guy in the aisle comes up to the front to berate the FA about how they're not giving him enough time to get settled, how they're treating families inhumanely/poorly, etc. The whole time he's video recording with his phone.... I guess hoping to get a huge settlement.

I've gotta hand it to the crew. They handled it in an exemplary manner. The pilot came out of the cockpit, they called a supervisor and opened the door so she could board and go talk to the guy. A few minutes later she walks off and says something to the pilot & FA up front. Then a minute or so later the guy's wife and one of his kids walks off. He's taking his sweet time getting his "stuff" together, and about 5 minutes later he finally walks off with his other kid.

Of course that ~45 min delay was enough that we missed the clear weather and by the time we got to push back and taxi, we're #30 in line and they're holding flights, slowly releasing them. We got off the ground almost an hour later.

I'm sure the guy's threatening to sue UA and will "never fly this airline again" but the crew handled everything very patiently. The captain apologized profusely to everyone about the delay. I don't think anyone was upset at UA, but everyone seemed pretty peeved with the guy causing the delay, just because he could. I mean really, how hard is it to take your seat and buckle your kid in for takeoff? And is it really worth getting your entire family tossed from the flight to prove your point? The lead FA said in 19 years she's only seen one other person removed from a flight, so I guess it's not that common. I haven't seen the video of this one on YouTube yet.... but I'm sure it's coming.
pviri likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holland
Of course that ~45 min delay was enough that we missed the clear weather and by the time we got to push back and taxi, we're #30 in line and they're holding flights, slowly releasing them. We got off the ground almost an hour later.
UA should be able to sue passengers for this kind of thing, with the proceeds then being split with the other people that got affected. ExpertFlyer says this was an E170 (although it also says it only landed 48 minutes late at MCI?), so thats 70 passengers per flight, and that frame easily could have been scheduled for 5 or 6 hops later that day. 300+ people may have been inconvenienced due to one guys temper tantrum.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like a horrible person.
pviri likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:24 pm

How much time are we talking for this guy getting his family settled?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
How much time are we talking for this guy getting his family settled?
They boarded middle of the pack, probably group 3-4? Nobody else had any trouble getting their stuff stowed and buckled up....including the families and kids that boarded after him.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I hope that they never fly United again, but that the decision comes from the airline. Other airlines may want to consider their options as well, if only to stay ahead of the game.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Family removed from UA 3493 on 6/28
is like a clickbait ...

disruptive passenger accompanied by his wife and kids removed would be more appropriate

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2018 at 4:00 pm Reason: repaired formatting issue
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by iandm
Family removed from UA 3493 on 6/28
is like a clickbait ...

disruptive passenger accompanied by his wife and kids removed would be more appropriate
Not really sure I see the difference. The title was apt and described the situation accurately, and is no more or less inflammatory than your suggestion (minus the super huge font). I would have clicked on it either way. Or not, which is my choice, as it is yours.
SpudOz, wrp96, FSUnole03 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Personally when I see bad behavior by other passengers and the FAs/GAs/check-in agents handle the situation well I write into UA with a compliment, especially when the passenger has threatened the UA staff with reporting them. A few years ago I tried to intervene and support the UA staff and got yelled at by the passenger including many profanities, so these days I quietly mention to the UA staff member to ensure they get my details from the manifest if they need a witness, and then follow up to UA with my details of the incident in support of the staff member. By doing it soon after the incident is fresh in my memory and the details still front of mind.

Kudos to the FA, pilot and GA for handling it as well as they could under the circumstances.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

The pilot got contact details from 2 FA's and a Captain who were commuting home to KC. I was sort of surprised they only took other airline personnel as witnesses; you'd think other passengers would be preferable, in a "conflict of interest" sense. It wasn't a huge deal as the guy got off and cooperated, rather than forcing them to drag him off or taze him.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
At some airlines the staff might help him get settled rather than throwing him off.

At least he kept his face intact. The new, kinder gentler spirit of United.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
This thread is today's reminder that the worst part of modern air travel is, by far, the passengers.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:36 pm
Suspended

My guess is that he was trying to do the following:

Step 1: set up a situation which would be a PR nightmare for UA

Step 2: Record it, post it on Social Media

Step 3: profit.

I hope this backfires on the guy, and they hold him responsible for the costs associated with the delay. At the very least, I hope it didn't work.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 2018 at 12:01 pm Reason: OT; OMNI content removed
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mduell
At some airlines the staff might help him get settled rather than throwing him off.
Passengers have responsibilities just like airlines do. When a passenger fails those responsibililties, they have to suffer the consequences, just like airlines do.
choch345, wrp96, ajGoes and 10 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2018 at 6:46 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Yep here we have a situation unlike the SkyWorst FA on the Delta Connection flight, the passenger is definitely the aggressor. Not only did he inconvenience the passengers he also inconvenienced the crew who probably had other flights that day along with the aircraft in question. I really hope UA just refunded the money and told them to take a hike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.