Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Family removed from UA 3493 on 28 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family removed from UA 3493 on 28 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
My guess is that he was trying to do the following:

Step 1: set up a situation which would be a PR nightmare for UA

Step 2: Record it, post it on Social Media

Step 3: profit.

I hope this backfires on the guy, and they hold him responsible for the costs associated with the delay. At the very least, I hope it didn't work.
Sounds like a full time gig. Amazing people come up with questionable ways to make money, rather than put their brains to better use.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 2018 at 12:01 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I feel sad too for his wife and kids. I bet he behaves like that in all aspects of his life.
ebuck and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Sounds like a full time gig. Amazing people come up with questionable ways to make money, rather than put their brains to better use.
Sadly, there's always a category of low-life who prefers extortion. The disappointing thing is that these extortionists are supported by the full weight of the law in the US.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
What's different about this case is that the first we're hearing about it is from a neutral witness instead of the more common story fed to and repeated by the media by the complainant or their lawyer.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
FA's have safety and security duties to perform and the aircraft does not push until those are performed. At the point where passengers are advised that they must take their seats before the aircraft can push, the cabin door has been closed (as it was here because it had to be opened) and that is just part of the process, including exit row briefings and a safety check of seatbacks, tray tables, and seat belts. Not to mention galleys and other items.

Crew are also trained to assess the situation. Aircraft are not a bus where the driver can simply pull over to the side of the road and kick a problem passenger off. People who are a problem at 0 feet, are potential dangers at FL 35. That places passengers and crew at risk, leads to diversions and the like.

While the delay is regrettable, it is something which the Captain would have weighed before making the final decision.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
My guess is that he was trying to do the following:

Step 1: set up a situation which would be a PR nightmare for UA

Step 2: Record it, post it on Social Media

Step 3: profit.
No kidding. He sure seemed to have $$$ in mind at the end of this "ordeal"!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 2018 at 11:58 am Reason: OT; OMNI content removed
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
How much time are we talking for this guy getting his family settled?
By the sounds of it, at least another twenty years.
jsloan and comfortablynumb like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

I hope this backfires on the guy, and they hold him responsible for the costs associated with the delay. At the very least, I hope it didn't work.
Can't United ban him from future flights? Presumably they have his identifying information . . . only question is whether the IT system could catch it (same name and DOB).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It would be nice if airlines handed every passenger a live cattle-prod during boarding which you could use, with impunity, on any obnoxious, annoying, drunk, belligerent or otherwise intolerable passenger who was causing a ruckus. This guy sounds like a male version of a soccer mom.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Yep here we have a situation unlike the SkyWorst FA on the Delta Connection flight, the passenger is definitely the aggressor. Not only did he inconvenience the passengers he also inconvenienced the crew who probably had other flights that day along with the aircraft in question. I really hope UA just refunded the money and told them to take a hike.
I had an awesome Sky West fligt attendant on Alaska in First from SJC to LAX. United needs a 16 week training class taught by Alaska!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
I had an awesome Sky West fligt attendant on Alaska in First from SJC to LAX. United needs a 16 week training class taught by Alaska!

I’m confused by your post. What is the relevance of your post to the topic of this particular thread? Did you read this thread starting with the first post? Please clarify.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:35 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by danielonn

skywest is a united express carrier as well. Turns out this flight happens to be operated by Republic. There are many express carriers, where the flight attendants are trained by their operating carrier (not marketing) that do business as a variety of express carriers for different mainline carriers.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by fastair

skywest is a united express carrier as well. Turns out this flight happens to be operated by Republic. There are many express carriers, where the flight attendants are trained by their operating carrier (not marketing) that do business as a variety of express carriers for different mainline carriers.
However, my understanding is that Mainline does not train any UAX FAs. They are trained at the regional training centers. Is this correct?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
However, my understanding is that Mainline does not train any UAX FAs. They are trained at the regional training centers. Is this correct?
Correct. Every airline is responsible for the training and proficiency of their own crews. If the flight is operated by Republic, Republic is responsible for training and may outsource it (but more likely to a firm like FlightSafety than United, and even then typically only very small operators). Also explains why each Express operator's FAs have their own nuances and quirks.

United no more trains UAEX FAs than they do Air Canada FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.