Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Help with bereavement

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Help with bereavement

Hi,
was wondering if someone could give us a little ides please?

My brother lives in the USA. He was due to fly back to the UK on the 10th July.

Unfortunately our father passed away 2 days ago, and the funeral is arranged for the 9th.

Can anyone give us a rough idea how much it will cost to change his flights please?
If that is possible.

cheers,
karen
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Was the reservation booked via UA.com?
I would encourage you to reach out to UA and call reservations on the phone. Agents hopefully should sympathize with the situation and assist with minimal/no fees.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
First, our condolences on your loss.

Generally, for an economy TATL flight you are looking at a $300 change fee and potential a fare difference charge.

However, in cases like this, UA will post-flight refund the change fee with proper documentation.
Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

As for the fare difference, this is a change best done with an agent to see what magic they can do. If anyone in the family has UA status, have them call to make the change.

I'm sure this is the last thing anyone needs to deal with at this time but getting the family together is important.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Hi Karen - first of all, I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences.

As for fare change, it depends on the type of fare that was originally purchased, and it'll most likely be the difference in fare (if any) plus change fees. You can get an estimate by looking up what the new booking will cost, subtract the existing fare already paid, and add back in the change fee. Once you have the flight information, my personal opinion is to call to do the rebooking instead of via the web.

Per their unplanned event policy, you can request a refund of the change fee with proper documentation (e.g., death certificate) after paying the change fee.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Hi,
thank you for the condolences and replies.

He did book via ua. Com

He has now spoken to a representative and it will cost several thousand dollars to change.
they make no accommodation for bereavement apparently.

Other airlines offer round trips for around one thousand so that is probably a better option unfortunately.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lawrenson
Hi,

He did book via ua. Com

He has now spoken to a representative and it will cost several thousand dollars to change.

Other airlines offer round trips for around one thousand so that is probably a better option unfortunately.

Thanks again.
Surprising. When my brother-in-law passed away earlier this year, I was able to call and make changes to a flight. They did charge the fees, but when I sent in the documentation, they refunded the fees (all of them). You may want to try again, and mention sending in documentation after the fact.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... He has now spoken to a representative and it will cost several thousand dollars to change.
they make no accommodation for bereavement apparently. .....
Unfortunately this is partial up to the agent's discretion. While understanding that dealing with agents at this time is not a desirable activity, it may be worth a second try (we call it HUCA, "hang up and call again") and perhaps asking to speak with a supervisor.
Unfortunately, this is peak travel time and space is very, very limited and you are under the 7 day Advance Purchase window, which are the most expensive tickets. The LCC pricing in this near term purchases does tend to be better.

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Surprising. When my brother-in-law passed away earlier this year, I was able to call and make changes to a flight. They did charge the fees, but when I sent in the documentation, they refunded the fees (all of them). You may want to try again, and mention sending in documentation after the fact.
Beleive the OP is dealing with a fare difference problem. The change fee refund is standard policy in this circumstance and will be no issue -- but the fare difference requires a different discretionary waiver by the agent.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:46 am

Hi,

He did book via ua. Com

Thanks again.
Adding my condolences as well. As for changing the ticket, my advice would be to just pack up his bags and head to an airport, where in my past experience (fortunately only once), agents are more willing and able to help given this circumstance. The answer may still be "sorry, no", but worth a try before buying a new ticket. In my particular case, an agent changed not only the date, but also the destimation of a return ticket to get me where I needed to go ASAP.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is almost certainly a fare difference and not a penalty. UA has substantially reduced its front line agents' discretion, along with AA. I would call back and, if need be, ask for a supervisor.

Otherwise, the $1,000 new ticket makes sense. Be sure to check the fare rules on the UA ticket to be sure, but if cancelled prior to departure, it will likely retain its value as a credit, subject to a penalty when used. That penalty would likely be waived.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:51 pm

My condolences!

I would try again. My cousin did something similar when our Grandma passed away. He was flying anyway, and had a layover in the city near where my Grandma's funeral was to be held. American Airlines allowed him to take the connecting flight the following day. So, instead of a 2 hour layover, he had a 26 hour layover. They did not charge him, but he did have to talk to a couple different agents (the HUCA method) until they agreed to do it.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:13 pm

Perhaps try phoning the airline again?
Something similar happened to me in Rome this past October. My travel companion died two days in to our trip. We were scheduled to fly home from Switzerland via AA frequent flyer miles on Iberia-non refundable of course.

I called AA and got a sympathetic agent who was able to change my flight to departing from Rome-he could only get me as far a Philly so I had to pay to continue on to Boston; however, the alternative last minute flights were quite pricy for one way.

Good luck and I'sorry for your loss,
Karen
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Firstly, may I also add my condolences.
I do not know anything about UA's policies in this situation but since your brother was due to travel anyway might he have some travel insurance (even the type that comes free with a credit card) that could cover this situation?
Secondly, if your brother is intending to buy a one-way ticket and travel back to the US on his originally booked ticket there may be a risk that his return flight is cancelled if he does not travel on the outbound flight. Those with more knowledge of how UA operates will be able to advise on this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Was the reservation booked via UA.com?
I would encourage you to reach out to UA and call reservations on the phone. Agents hopefully should sympathize with the situation and assist with minimal/no fees.
And if the first agent is not sympathetic, hang up and call again to see if you get a sensitive person.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boss315
And if the first agent is not sympathetic, hang up and call again to see if you get a sensitive person.
This has nothing to do with being sympathetic or sensitive - if you aren't firm in not waiving fare differences - then people would be calling airlines all the time trying to change flights based on phantom dead family members.

The fact they will waive change fees with documentation is generous.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:29 pm

While understanding unscrupulous folks may try anything
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
... The fact they will waive change fees with documentation is generous.
A fare difference refund could be handled in the same manner.

In the past most airlines had bereavement fares with generous change policies but did not require documentation and suspect they were abused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.