Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ending service for Manchester, NH(MHT), Champaign,IL(CMI) & Mobile, AL(MOB) to ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA ending service for Manchester, NH(MHT), Champaign,IL(CMI) & Mobile, AL(MOB) to ORD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Bummer for those in the Northeast as that leaves no service anymore between ORD and MHT (Southwest still serves Midway). Somewhat surprising as this route was served by up to four flights a day (albeit on RJ's) depending on the day/time of year. After also pulling the service to Dulles, that leaves Newark as the only United destination from Manchester.
MANCHESTER, N.H. People flying from Manchester to Chicago will soon no longer be able to get a direct flight with United Airlines

A spokesperson for United confirmed to News 9 on Sunday that, effective Sept. 5, the airline will no longer offer service between Manchester-Boston Regional Airport and Chicago O’Hare International Airport.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2018 at 5:10 pm Reason: post editted per FT Rule 8, Posting Copyrighted Material
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
Bummer for those in the Northeast as that leaves no service anymore between ORD and MHT (Southwest still serves Midway). Somewhat surprising as this route was served by up to four flights a day (albeit on RJ's) depending on the day/time of year. After also pulling the service to Dulles, that leaves Newark as the only United destination from Manchester.

MANCHESTER, N.H. People flying from Manchester to Chicago will soon no longer be able to get a direct flight with United Airlines

A spokesperson for United confirmed to News 9 on Sunday that, effective Sept. 5, the airline will no longer offer service between Manchester-Boston Regional Airport and Chicago O’Hare International Airport.
Interesting. I guess they were feeling some type of pinch from Southwest on this route. I suppose UA will continue to focus on BOS and funnel passengers there.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 2018 at 7:16 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Interesting. I guess they were feeling some type of pinch from Southwest on this route. I suppose UA will continue to focus on BOS and funnel passengers there.
Not a long drive, and not surprising. I keep waiting for UA to decide COS isn't worth the effort. Someone please tell me how the mergers benefit everyone?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I like MHT and have flown ORD-MHT multiple times. I also flew MHT-IAD when that was offered. EWR-MHT does little for me.

Hoping that ORD-BTV remains.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
This is too bad but I wasn't about to take the CR2 from MHT when I could take mainline from BOS or PWM. The MHT schedule just never fit for me since I moved here.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Still plenty of service to and from PWM to ORD and IAD. Come to Maine!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
They are also dropping:
ORD-MOB
ORD-CMI - this was a new route started by Kirby last year when he said he wanted to compete with AA in small markets out of Chicago. UA was 2-3x per day. AA is at 5-6x to ORD and 1x to DFW. Hard to compete with that I imagine.

Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by noah
I like MHT and have flown ORD-MHT multiple times. I also flew MHT-IAD when that was offered. EWR-MHT does little for me.

Hoping that ORD-BTV remains.
BTV still seems to be holding as a pretty popular route, maybe because there are no major cities nearby. I'm from there originally and fly in a few times per year. Still flights to ORD, IAD, and EWR. The EWR one last month was mainline service still. Last year ORD had 737-900's with 20 seats up front and everyone cleared the upgrade list!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Also ORD-Champaign and ORD-Mobile. Sorry no link, it was on the news tonight.

oops. That will teach me to read the thread before posting!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Was a steady downward decline from the days of mainline.. then the switch to express. I remember the days when MHT-ORD was serviced by a 757 😔
tstauck likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I have memories of when UA began service to MHT in the 80’s. Must have been with 727’s and 737’s. I remember how big the plane was compared to the tiny brick terminal (with ground level jetways).

I believe the flights MHT-ORD stopped in Burlington or Albany, depending on the year.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:48 pm

delete

Last edited by davie355; Apr 24, 2020 at 1:45 am
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
So, if MHT-ORD gets the axe, I wonder how long PVD-ORD will last as that route is sometimes run with an ER4.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck
BTV still seems to be holding as a pretty popular route, maybe because there are no major cities nearby. I'm from there originally and fly in a few times per year. Still flights to ORD, IAD, and EWR. The EWR one last month was mainline service still. Last year ORD had 737-900's with 20 seats up front and everyone cleared the upgrade list!
UA can’t seem to figure out what it wants to do with BTV-ORD, but the trends seem to be good. It looked bad this spring when everything was downgraded to a CRJ 200. However, this summer, the one round trip a day with a 737 is back, and looking ahead to September, three of four round trips will be mainline. (And no matter what size plane UA flies at any given time, they usually are full or nearly full.). AA also started flying BTV-ORD this summer as seasonal service, which also indicates that demand is good.

And BTW, there is a major city nearby, which is Montreal, and in this case it benefits BTV. It’s usually cheaper to fly most places in the US than from YUL, and over 40% of BTV fliers are from Quebec.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by davie355
I grew up in CMI in the 1990s and I'm almost positive United flew to ORD (alongside AA, and even Northwest/Delta to DTW) way back then.
United definitely flew into CMI in the early 1990s. they pulled out about 1992. I remember they flew Fokker F27s and Bombardier Dash 8s to ORD. American flew in Shorts 360s until United pulled out, then they started flying in ATR42s.

Don't forget TWA to STL, and US Air to Pittsburgh (the only time I got to use the jetways at CMI in the early 90s) and IND, Midway Air to MDW, American to BNA. I know it was Northwest that operated to DTW. I don't ever recall flying Delta out of CMI. I have a picture somewhere of all the airlines operating in their desks in the departures area back when CMI was in full swing.

Chanute AFB in Rantoul shutting down is what did CMI in.

Last edited by RandyX; Jul 8, 2018 at 6:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.