Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ending service for Manchester, NH(MHT), Champaign,IL(CMI) & Mobile, AL(MOB) to ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA ending service for Manchester, NH(MHT), Champaign,IL(CMI) & Mobile, AL(MOB) to ORD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by zrs70
I have memories of when UA began service to MHT in the 80’s. Must have been with 727’s and 737’s. I remember how big the plane was compared to the tiny brick terminal (with ground level jetways).

I believe the flights MHT-ORD stopped in Burlington or Albany, depending on the year.
Up until the late 2000's, MHT saw daily 757's to ORD. That was just until mainline got cut and it went all Express.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Agree that the schedules were less than optimal, but I have liked MHT as a BOS alternative for family trips as the parking costs in MHT are FAR more reasonable than BOS. BOS is absolutely my go to for business travel due to the schedule flexibility, but losing MHT as an option is a definite negative in my opinion.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zrs70
I have memories of when UA began service to MHT in the 80’s. Must have been with 727’s and 737’s. I remember how big the plane was compared to the tiny brick terminal (with ground level jetways).

I believe the flights MHT-ORD stopped in Burlington or Albany, depending on the year.
zrs70: I was a radio news reporter at WGIR in Manchester in the early '80's when UA commenced the return of jet service to MHT. I recall standing on the observation deck of the tiny Ammon Terminal doing live report as a 737-200 taxied up to the terminal. My dad was a private pilot and I remember going out to MHT as a kid to watch the Northeast Airlines DC-6 arrive and depart with those big, smoky radial engines. The exponential growth of MHT that peaked in the early 2000's always blew my mind as I could hardly believe MHT was still the small hometown airport I remembered as a kid. Now, sadly, it is in the ranks of other regionals that have seen declining traffic in the past decade. There's a website about MHT's history. The airport started out as an Army Air Force jumping off point to Europe during WWII. The terminal on the home page of the site is the 1930's terminal that preceded the Ammon terminal.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Disappointing to just hear this having just returned out of BOS to SFO. I had been looking into changing my routing to SFO-ORD-MHT as I am typically going to the far northwestern greater Boston area (ie. Fitchberg) and was getting sick of the traffic and the rental situation out of BOS. I had recently spoken to some locals who use this flight regularly who also apparently had not heard the news. Well I guess it is back to BOS, like the city hate Logan and the traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.