Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by vanillabean
All flights, daytime and nighttime, look fairly full to me the next some days. The Sunday daytime flight is not available, sold out?
I just checked for origination in SFO. Both flights are now available in coach; UA has availability in business.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vanillabean
All flights, daytime and nighttime, look fairly full to me the next some days. The Sunday daytime flight is not available, sold out?
Looking at a handful of flights tells us absolutely nothing about overall demand.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by brp1264
The daytime flight is definitely more empty from what I've seen. My wife just flew an early flight out of IAH to catch the daytime flight SFO->SIN this past week, and it was practically empty, allowing her to score poor man's business class in E+.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the two frames required to launch SFO-BKK!!!
Old May 17, 2019, 10:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the two frames required to launch SFO-BKK!!!
Two aircraft are not enough for a daily service
And UA is farmore worried about open paid bussiness cabin than open seats in economy.

But these are topics for the BKK thread
Old May 18, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Kacee
Except you've probably just slept 6+ hours on the flight. I find the morning Asia departure is easier to recover from.
However, I enjoyed the 1:50am departure for LAX-PEK on CA and the evening departure to HND on UA. Then again, I also enjoyed the 12:50am HND-SFO as that enabled me to get another day of diving in as I wouldn't have to take the 9:30am MNL-NRT and instead take the 2:30pm MNL-HND. In fact, I enjoyed the evening departure of LAX-SIN as I didn't have to deal with the stupidity of LAX in the morning.

With the late CA flight, I arrived into PEK at ~5:30am and with the UA SFO-HND flight, I arrived at ~10:30pm, which, if you stay up for the flight over, enables one to get sufficient rest.

Now that SQ is flying LAX-SIN as a non-stop, to me at least, the premium over UA (~$1500 for C) is worth it as I don't have to deal with SFO, and will actually take less time overall as last month, I flew ONT-SFO-HKG-CEB and I took the first flight of the morning up to SFO, where I got to hang around for 6 hours.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:49 pm

As this is a 17hr flight ... curious what meals (after dinner, following takeoff) will be served in Polaris on SFO-SIN.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1k
Just "snacks" and the pre-arrival meal.

You can ask for the grilled cheese or whatever the other things they might have and they might find something.

For the evening departures I find it works really well in that I usually get a "full night" of sleep through the 10-12 hours "in the middle" of the flight. For me it's good enough I can arrive in the morning and work that day without much trouble.

On the morning departures it's much harder and I'm more likely to be restless through much of the flight and then all asleep as it prepares to land. On the way to SIN that might be fine because you'll land in the evening, on the return trip it's not great because you land in the morning.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by brp1264
The daytime flight is definitely more empty from what I've seen.

My wife just flew an early flight out of IAH to catch the daytime flight SFO->SIN this past week, and it was practically empty, allowing her to score poor man's business class in E+.
Thanks! This is very useful info.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by malgudi
As this is a 17hr flight ... curious what meals (after dinner, following takeoff) will be served in Polaris on SFO-SIN.
You will get a second full meal before landing.

Mid-flight, there will be 1 or 2 hot entrees available on demand. On my recent flight it was chicken curry over rice- delicious.

There will also be assorted packaged snacks.

And, of course, the first meal is humongous- 3,000 calories or more.

You don't go hungry in Polaris.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp

Mid-flight, there will be 1 or 2 hot entrees available on demand. On my recent flight it was chicken curry over rice- delicious.

Are you counting the cheese plate, sundae and petit fours in that 3k Calories total?

I'm sure the app + salad + bread + main is much less than that.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by fumje
Are you counting the cheese plate, sundae and petit fours in that 3k Calories total?

I'm sure the app + salad + bread + main is much less than that.
Of course I am. People eat them, so they count.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:58 am

Good to know ... I think (hope?) the veg meal maybe a bit less than 3000 calories
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by malgudi
Good to know ... I think (hope?) the veg meal maybe a bit less than 3000 calories
The AVML special meal starts with chickpea/lentil cold starter, followed by Indian spiced dhal, veggies over rice. Side of Chobani yogurt. Occasionally paneer stirred in the main dish. Definitely not 3K calories.

Read the other thread “Let’s eat! Polaris” there is probably a sample menu, and a Indian vegetarian is usually an option. I usually request AVML special to guarantee a veg friendly meal. Cheers.
malgudi likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course I am. People eat them, so they count.
OK! Just asking how you count.

I think the desserts are fully half of the total then, or perhaps more.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fumje
OK! Just asking how you count.

I think the desserts are fully half of the total then, or perhaps more.
One has to plan accordingly, no?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.