Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Kacee
DL is dropping SIN flights, so SQ now steps into that void.
DL has not announced ending NRT-SIN -- yet; however, with potentially 3 of DL’s U.S.-TYO flights shifting from NRT to HND in the near future, SQ’s move just might accelerate DL’s full exit from SIN. For now, however, there will be a net increase in capacity in the U.S.- Singapore market, and every transpac carrier will be affected to one extent or another.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
DL has not announced ending NRT-SIN -- yet; however, with potentially 3 of DL’s U.S.-TYO flights shifting from NRT to HND in the near future, SQ’s move just might accelerate DL’s full exit from SIN. For now, however, there will be a net increase in capacity in the U.S.- Singapore market, and every transpac carrier will be affected to one extent or another.
You're right I was thinking of HKG. Doh!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
As a frequent SQ PPS flyer, I am happy to see SQ is expanding its US network, but I am disappointed with it is cutting back on its onboard offerings.

I just completed five SQ flights in J and have noticed cut back on number of meals, portion and quality of meals. Perhaps I noticed it more because I have flown them for fhe past 8 years as gained PPS status during this period.

However, with that being said, I am still impressed with its hardware, IFE and services. It is still a great airlines to fly and I will continue to fly them.

I do sense that the M3 competition carrying traffic between Asia/Australia and EU, and Asia and also the Chinese airlines offering cheap fares in the region have hurt SQ’s margin. Its financial results have been disappointing if it does
not factoring its airlines leasing and maintainence businesses. Much like CX, US is a market that it hopes to gain growth.

I must say the A350 is a great plane to fly (not sure about the comfort of the SQ J seat, though), hope UA will take delivery of the planes instead keep deferring.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
17 hours nonstop: day vs night

I was wondering why anyone would voluntarily embark on SFO-SIN 10:45PM? It’s not like the daily darkness of a Scandinavian winter which offers all kinds of pleasant stuff to pass the time such as drinking aquavit or glögg, the joy of ice fishing, sweating in a steamy sauna or lighting candles and bingewatching Beck.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I was wondering why anyone would voluntarily embark on SFO-SIN 10:45PM?
I'm guessing it most has to do with connections from the East being difficult/ impossible to the morning SFO-SIN flight. That plus being able to work a full day before catching the night flight.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I'm guessing it most has to do with connections from the East being difficult/ impossible to the morning SFO-SIN flight. That plus being able to work a full day before catching the night flight.
I much prefer the late night departure to SE Asia. It's just more efficient with an early morning arrival and doesn't impact my internal clock so drastically. In fact, I've been avoiding UA TPACs in favor of the Asian carriers in part b/c I don't like UA's daytime departures.
United747 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by spin88
I do think DL's failure to go SEA-SIN is probably a strategic mistake. I have not been impressed with how they have responded to changes in the pacific markets.
Why so much focus on SIN? It's a tiny market, with a well-run flag carrier that's focused on connecting the large population masses of South Asia to the rest of the world. As those South Asia markets add non-stop service (Vietnam, Thailand, India, Indonesia, etc...), there is less and less need to connect through SIN. Didn't Delta just add service from JFK to India? Last time I checked, 100 million people live within one tank of gas from JFK. I think Delta's Asia strategy is sound.
moondog likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
I was wondering why anyone would voluntarily embark on SFO-SIN 10:45PM? It’s not like the daily darkness of a Scandinavian winter which offers all kinds of pleasant stuff to pass the time such as drinking aquavit or glögg, the joy of ice fishing, sweating in a steamy sauna or lighting candles and bingewatching Beck.
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Yes, full day work in west coast before embarking red eye flight maximizes time.

I much prefer the late night departure to SE Asia. It's just more efficient with an early morning arrival and doesn't impact my internal clock so drastically. In fact, I've been avoiding UA TPACs in favor of the Asian carriers in part b/c I don't like UA's daytime departures.
UA29 daytime sfo-sin benefit is generally much more upgrade seats for GPU vs. UA1 nighttime flight

Old May 16, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by npei
Full day work in west coast before embarking red eye flight maximizes time.
While daytime departure wastes two full work days.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Why so much focus on SIN? It's a tiny market, with a well-run flag carrier that's focused on connecting the large population masses of South Asia to the rest of the world. As those South Asia markets add non-stop service (Vietnam, Thailand, India, Indonesia, etc...), there is less and less need to connect through SIN. Didn't Delta just add service from JFK to India? Last time I checked, 100 million people live within one tank of gas from JFK. I think Delta's Asia strategy is sound.
The amount of USA traffic to SIN justifies it. I think it is primarily going to Singapore, not some hub for the rest of south east Asia. Every flight I have been on is covered in 1K/GS folks working regional business from SIN. I've finally come to appreciate what an outpost it is in the region. Pro-business laws, western friendly culture and easy reach to many markets. And just a great place, in my opinion - even looking past a little bit of a feeling of Panem compared to the world around it.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1k
If you sit in front you basically get 17 hours to find a nights sleep and then arrive for a days work. Sitting in the back I’d prefer the Tokyo layover variants (or SQ PE), both with day time departures.

That being said, for me it took a few trips to get used to it. The first time I definitely felt like I’d been on the plane for long enough a little after passing Japan.

The return evening flight gives a days work plus sleeping at home the “same” evening.

I haven’t done that yet, since they started that departure price and other schedules have worked out for the morning flight (or the 6am ANA via NRT) or the SQ flight via Hong Kong (which I don’t care much for, no time for dinner in Singapore after work and by the time you are on the HKG-SFO flight it’s been a really long day).
Old May 17, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
While daytime departure wastes two full work days.
So are you saying the daytime flights are a better bet in avoiding OPM traffic, and thus better chance of GPU clearance?

I prefer the night flight too, it allows many options for leaving from the east coast after work (3-7pm), and arriving in SIN in the morning, allowing for an extra day of vacation, or easier connections to vacation spots in the region.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by polarbears
The return evening flight gives a days work plus sleeping at home the “same” evening.
Except you've probably just slept 6+ hours on the flight. I find the morning Asia departure is easier to recover from.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
So are you saying the daytime flights are a better bet in avoiding OPM traffic, and thus better chance of GPU clearance?
The daytime flight is definitely more empty from what I've seen.

My wife just flew an early flight out of IAH to catch the daytime flight SFO->SIN this past week, and it was practically empty, allowing her to score poor man's business class in E+.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by brp1264
The daytime flight is definitely more empty from what I've seen.

My wife just flew an early flight out of IAH to catch the daytime flight SFO->SIN this past week, and it was practically empty, allowing her to score poor man's business class in E+.
All flights, daytime and nighttime, look fairly full to me the next some days. The Sunday daytime flight is not available, sold out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.