Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Let's sit back and watch it play out. We'll have a good sense in 6-9 months whether 2x/day will work.
if we are taking bets , I place a marker that the second sfo sin flight won’t be here next year, and the plane will be redeployed to a new destination .
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by OpenSky
if we are taking bets , I place a marker that the second sfo sin flight won’t be here next year, and the plane will be redeployed to a new destination .
While I hope 2x/day works, I tend to agree with you. The second flight will be quickly be shifted to SFO-India. AI is dong well out of SFO and it'll be much easier for UA to succeed against them. I do hope I'm wrong, but let's see!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
While I hope 2x/day works, I tend to agree with you. The second flight will be quickly be shifted to SFO-India. AI is dong well out of SFO and it'll be much easier for UA to succeed against them. I do hope I'm wrong, but let's see!
While I agree that 2x/day SIN is not likely to make it, UA has issues with adding India flights. AI is flying SFO-DEL which is 7707 mi, with a block time of 16 hours (on a B772LR, which has the range and can take a full load, no seat restrictions). AI has connecting flights that allow the traffic to then go on to places like BOM and BLR which have a lot of bay area demand. I seriously doubt that there is enough traffic ex-SFO for just DEL.

What would likely print money would be SFO-BLR, but its 8701 miles. UA is currently running SFO-SIN which is 8446 miles with a block time of 16.5 hrs. That is really pushing the range, and the plane goes out weight restricted westbound much of the time.

My understanding is that you can't fly direct from the Western US to India, much of the airspace (in Russia and China) is restricted, and I believe that is why the block time for a 7707 mile flight is only half an hour less than SFO-SIN which is 750 miles further. My calcuation is that you would need 17.5-18 hours of flying time to go SFO-BLR and probably 17-17.5 hours to go SFO-BOM (the other natural place to fly to). The B789 simply does not have the range to do this with any load.

These flights will have a LOT of demand, but they would need either a A350ulr to be run (a B772LR can do it, but the fuel costs would be very high) or they would need to be run from SEA or YVR.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
SQ direct to EWR/LAX will definitely attract the premium flyers who are willing to pay more for a direct flight, but I think UA strategy by offering 2x daily is to tap into the broader US 1-stop markets. I'm a bit skeptical as to why SIN-EWR/LAX will suddenly suck up all the UA premium traffic to SIN. As noted above, a premium NYC flyer who wants better service could already pick JFK-FRA-SIN instead of EWR-SFO-SIN.

If comparing seat capacity between UA and SQ back in 2013 and now, the net weekly seat capacity increase is around 430 one-way seats. UA is pretty much unchanged going from NRT/HKG-SIN to 2x daily SFO-SIN. SQ has made some big capacity cuts over the years: SIN-ICN-SFO (moved to LAX) will be discontinued, SIN-NRT-LAX went from A380 to 77W, SIN-DME/MAN-IAH went from 77W to A350. That's around 3,300 weekly one-way seats reduction. In return, SQ adds SIN-EWR/LAX (A345 to A359ULR) and adds SIN-SFO 10x weekly A350/A359ULR, around 3,800 weekly one-way seat addition.

If anything, it's Chinese carriers like MF/HU who are dumping capacity and depressing the yields on the US-SIN market. But of course, if yields continue to be depressed and fuel prices keep going up, then the UA789 might be better utilized to serve India or MEL/BNE or go year-round ZRH.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by spin88
Ask yourself, why would you fly EWR-SFO-SIN or LAX-SFO-SIN on UA in J when you can fly direct on SQ in J??? Most travelers in those markets will have a choice.
you are assuming UA's SFO-SIN flight depends on a lot of high value connection from EWR or other east coast cities. do you have any evidence to support that?

If it never depended on traffic like EWR-SFO-SIN then it is a false question.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2018 at 5:53 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
While I agree that 2x/day SIN is not likely to make it, UA has issues with adding India flights. AI is flying SFO-DEL which is 7707 mi, with a block time of 16 hours (on a B772LR, which has the range and can take a full load, no seat restrictions). AI has connecting flights that allow the traffic to then go on to places like BOM and BLR which have a lot of bay area demand. I seriously doubt that there is enough traffic ex-SFO for just DEL.

What would likely print money would be SFO-BLR, but its 8701 miles. UA is currently running SFO-SIN which is 8446 miles with a block time of 16.5 hrs. That is really pushing the range, and the plane goes out weight restricted westbound much of the time.

My understanding is that you can't fly direct from the Western US to India, much of the airspace (in Russia and China) is restricted, and I believe that is why the block time for a 7707 mile flight is only half an hour less than SFO-SIN which is 750 miles further. My calcuation is that you would need 17.5-18 hours of flying time to go SFO-BLR and probably 17-17.5 hours to go SFO-BOM (the other natural place to fly to). The B789 simply does not have the range to do this with any load.

These flights will have a LOT of demand, but they would need either a A350ulr to be run (a B772LR can do it, but the fuel costs would be very high) or they would need to be run from SEA or YVR.
If one intends to argue that UA loses business due to its inferior product vis-a-vis SQ, the script is flipped when UA goes against AI. AI offers a pretty awful longhaul premium product, with reliability to match. UA has coexisted quite well in the markets it competes with AI and if SFO-India were to start, I am confident UA would be a more attractive option for most than Air India. SFO-DEL is within the realm of possibility, but would siphon a lot of A++ traffic from SFO-FRA/MUC/ZRH.

SFO-BLR, though, is a non-starter. Too long for a 789 with operational challenges (Himalayas, single-engine driftdown, etc.)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888
SQ direct to EWR/LAX will definitely attract the premium flyers who are willing to pay more for a direct flight, but I think UA strategy by offering 2x daily is to tap into the broader US 1-stop markets. I'm a bit skeptical as to why SIN-EWR/LAX will suddenly suck up all the UA premium traffic to SIN. As noted above, a premium NYC flyer who wants better service could already pick JFK-FRA-SIN instead of EWR-SFO-SIN.

If comparing seat capacity between UA and SQ back in 2013 and now, the net weekly seat capacity increase is around 430 one-way seats. UA is pretty much unchanged going from NRT/HKG-SIN to 2x daily SFO-SIN. SQ has made some big capacity cuts over the years: SIN-ICN-SFO (moved to LAX) will be discontinued, SIN-NRT-LAX went from A380 to 77W, SIN-DME/MAN-IAH went from 77W to A350. That's around 3,300 weekly one-way seats reduction. In return, SQ adds SIN-EWR/LAX (A345 to A359ULR) and adds SIN-SFO 10x weekly A350/A359ULR, around 3,800 weekly one-way seat addition.

If anything, it's Chinese carriers like MF/HU who are dumping capacity and depressing the yields on the US-SIN market. But of course, if yields continue to be depressed and fuel prices keep going up, then the UA789 might be better utilized to serve India or MEL/BNE or go year-round ZRH.
I agree on the "chinese dumping capacity" and if one looks east coast-SIN (or also say BKK, points south) the one stop routing on the Chinese carriers (or via HKG on CX) are mostly faster than what is offered via Europe or NRT. Outside of the new "direct" EWR-HKG (18 hours 45 minutes) the next fastest ways are 22+ hours via HKG or China. Going vis NRT is 24 hours or so.

But SQ's increase in capacity (as you note) is not insignificant (430 seats) but given that some of the flights they pulled down would compete for direct flights to the gateways (e.g. ICN, NRT) the actual increase to SIN is even greater.

Originally Posted by amtrakusa

you are assuming UA's SFO-SIN flight depends on a lot of high value connection from EWR or other east coast cities. do you have any evidence to support that?

If it never depended on traffic like EWR-SFO-SIN then it is a false question.
When flying UA (e.g. on a corporate account) the routing via SFO, and before that LAX, are what are pushed. LAX often being slightly cheaper. United does not have better routing to SIN ex-NYC (HKG was faster, but they don't have a code share for the last leg at this point). Do I know the load ex-NYC on the flights? No, but given UA's flyer base, and # of corporate contracts, and the large demand ex-NYC to SIN, you can bet that some of the traffic is going via SFO (and before it LAX) is from NYC. And from other east coast cities (in particular BOS and PHL), SFO is the ONLY routing, as going via NRT would be a two not one stop.

Originally Posted by EWR764
If one intends to argue that UA loses business due to its inferior product vis-a-vis SQ, the script is flipped when UA goes against AI. AI offers a pretty awful longhaul premium product, with reliability to match. UA has coexisted quite well in the markets it competes with AI and if SFO-India were to start, I am confident UA would be a more attractive option for most than Air India. SFO-DEL is within the realm of possibility, but would siphon a lot of A++ traffic from SFO-FRA/MUC/ZRH.

SFO-BLR, though, is a non-starter. Too long for a 789 with operational challenges (Himalayas, single-engine driftdown, etc.)
I agree re AI. Awful airline. But the west coast traffic is high tech and media/entertainment, and it is NOT going to DEL. AI is not going to give UA the onward flights in India cheap, and who the hell wants to connect in India anyway? The ME3's bread and butter is helping people avoid changing planes in India. I just don't see a business case for SFO-DEL with AI in the market (had they lined up good code share rates and beat AI into the market, they might have made a go of it) and as you note, it would also siphon off some of the EWR-DEL traffic.

Glad to have your thoughts re SFO-BLR, I had always thought that was impossible with the B789, but was not sure if I was missing something. It (or SFO-BOM) is the flight that I am sure UA would love to be able to run ex-SFO, they just don't have the A/C.

It would be interesting to see if DL would try it ex-SEA (approx 700 miles closer) but I would guess that the A359, the plane they would want to use, is larger than they would like for that type of a flight.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
It would be interesting to see if DL would try it ex-SEA (approx 700 miles closer) but I would guess that the A359, the plane they would want to use, is larger than they would like for that type of a flight.
Maybe if DL does SEA-SIN, UA will pull down to 1x daily SFO-SIN. But DL couldn't even make SEA-HKG work, so who knows what's DL appetite with ex-SEA ULH routes.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Maybe if DL does SEA-SIN, UA will pull down to 1x daily SFO-SIN. But DL couldn't even make SEA-HKG work, so who knows what's DL appetite with ex-SEA ULH routes.
Sorry, I was not clear. I was talking SEA-BLR or SEA-BOM. I would think the SEA/PNW-SIN traffic was way too little (very little of the finance/insurance/media/regional HQs that fuels SIN) but there is some high tech local traffic to India, and being North, they ought to be a good connection point for the entire west coast.

I think it was very hard to get enough high value traffic on the SEA-HKG flight. The local market is small (compaired to the Bay Area or LA), lots of flights ex-YVR, and the places one might get connections from nearly all have direct flights, so DL was having to run the flight for highly competitive low margin connection business. Delta also does not have an efficient A/C for a flight of that range (or did not until they got the A359).

Why I think BLR might work is that it would have a time/distance advantage over other routes from the West Coast, so an advantage in getting traffic from other cities.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764

this I will totally agree with.

AI is beyond help.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
When is the 2nd daily SFO SIN flight due to start? Sorry if I've missed it in the thread
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ermintrude
When is the 2nd daily SFO SIN flight due to start? Sorry if I've missed it in the thread
It's in the title of this thread
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Answered above, but 2nd SFO-SIN starts on 10/27, which means 2x SIN-SFO starts on 10/28.

Last LAX-SIN seems to be 10/25 with return on 10/27.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Let’s see how it goes. Even if they do retrench to 1x daily that’s a lot better than when you had no option but to go via NRT or HKG (and you still have the option via NRT under the NH JV).

I’m on UA29 mid-November (en route to BKK) as the P fare from PDX is fairly good (and $4k cheaper than PDX-SFO-NRT-BKK). And the 8.15pm arrival time is much more convenient than connecting via either NRT or HKG. I’m taking UA2 for the return so as to get home early afternoon rather than 12.40am (on UA28). So very convenient options from both flights.

And remember that the SIN flights are covered by the NH JV. So if the second daily non stop allows UA to put more pax on SFO-NRT to feed other (NH operated) flights under the JV - say SGN, HAN, KUL, CGK - then UA gets more revenue share from those. Whether it’s enough, we’ll just have to wait and see.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Even if they do retrench to 1x daily that’s a lot better than when you had no option but to go via NRT or HKG.
I couldn’t disagree more. I doubt anyone flying these routes regularly the past dozen years would agree either.

I live near SFO and still say this.
truncated likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.