Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Is there any doubt that UA doesn't monitor FT?
oh they are. I have gotten a personalized Email from them before referencing a problem I had reported ... they know who we are!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Kacee
Probably a regional 788.

NH has been taking 787s out of service for the Trent repairs.
Ok, that's good news, it makes that particular flight a better option than I thought when UA2 is too expensive.

It wasn't the first time it happened in the last several years, but maybe the previous times were also just bad luck or before they made all the SIN-NRT flight be (supposed to be) the international configuration.

I was on another NH flight from SGN to NRT last spring and that was an older plane (as someone else mentioned).

It was June 23rd, the flight number I had on my ticket was UA7934. Is there a way to look up which plane it was?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by polarbears
It was June 23rd, the flight number I had on my ticket was UA7934. Is there a way to look up which plane it was?
You can go back 3 months on FlightAware if you sign up for a free basic subscription.

I did this route in April and it was the 789 with lie flats. Really nice. SIN is a premium route and will have lie-flats absent unusual circumstances (i.e., a swap).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

You can go back 3 months on FlightAware if you sign up for a free basic subscription.

I did this route in April and it was the 789 with lie flats. Really nice. SIN is a premium route and will have lie-flats absent unusual circumstances (i.e., a swap).
Can confirm, NRT-SIN on the 789 IMO was nicer than LAX-NRT on the 77W..
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1k
I'm glad to hear that was a fluke so I don't need to worry about booking the SIN-NRT route again.

I did some sample searches for the evening SFO-SIN route in early December. Assuming they are selling the seats I am guessing it was good move for United. On LAX-SIN there were sometimes low-ish fares for Saturday-Saturday trips; not so on the new schedule. :-) (The new Friday evening return is all C fares).

Last edited by polarbears; Oct 4, 2018 at 2:15 am
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by polarbears
I'm glad to hear that was a fluke so I don't need to worry about booking that route again.
I'm afraid it's going to be a concern until the Trent situation is fully resolved.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Perhaps polar bears got swapped onto a 763? That has some old school recliner action. I took that recently NRT-SGN ( thanks to UA discontinuing SGN )
Interesting that you would take UA 737 domestic F seat (HKG-SGN) over NH 763 recliner seat!

I flew NRT-SGN on NH 788 regional configuration and was just fine.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Oct 4, 2018 at 3:00 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Mods - not sure if this post belongs in this thread or in this one United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016 Feel free to move/merge.
-------------

A few interesting comments from Lawrence Chin, UA country manager Singapore

FlightGlobal - Oct 9, 2018

​United focused on second Singapore-San Francisco flight

"United Airlines will focus on making its second daily Singapore-San Francisco route work before adding frequencies or considering other non-stop USA destinations from the Southeast Asian country."

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...sco-fl-452521/
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Mods - not sure if this post belongs in this thread or in this one United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016 Feel free to move/merge.
-------------

A few interesting comments from Lawrence Chin, UA country manager Singapore

FlightGlobal - Oct 9, 2018

​United focused on second Singapore-San Francisco flight

"United Airlines will focus on making its second daily Singapore-San Francisco route work before adding frequencies or considering other non-stop USA destinations from the Southeast Asian country."

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...sco-fl-452521/
I'm a little puzzled by the argument that the second SFO flight offers better connectivity than the LAX flight did.
Lawrence Chin, country manager Singapore for the carrier, says San Francisco is a better option for United than Los Angeles give the size of United’s hub there.

“Connectivity is very important,” he says. “As far as we are concerned, San Francisco is the largest hub for United to the Asia-Pacific, and its connectivity is better than in LA. Customers will definitely be able to be serviced from SFO's second flight. We're pretty comfortable with that.”
The second SFO-SIN departs in the morning, which makes connections from east of the Mississippi difficult. The second SIN-SFO arrives in the evening, which only works for connecting to red-eyes (yay). As far as I could figure, the schedule is more suitable for SFO O/D traffic.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by fumje
I'm a little puzzled by the argument that the second SFO flight offers better connectivity than the LAX flight did.

The second SFO-SIN departs in the morning, which makes connections from east of the Mississippi difficult. The second SIN-SFO arrives in the evening, which only works for connecting to red-eyes (yay). As far as I could figure, the schedule is more suitable for SFO O/D traffic.
There are a bunch of people here who say that UA's morning TPAC departures from SFO are a better option for connecting pax and overall more convenient for travelers compared to a late night departure.

No, it makes no sense at all.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a bunch of people here who say that UA's morning TPAC departures from SFO are a better option for connecting pax and overall more convenient for travelers compared to a late night departure.

Having kept an eye over the past month on booked load for 28/29 also has convinced me it's more suited for ex-SFO traffic.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Having kept an eye over the past month on booked load for 28/29 also has convinced me it's more suited for ex-SFO traffic.
Easier upgrade?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Easier upgrade?
Definitely.

Although per usual everything is R0 right now.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

SFO-SIN
SQ 31 9:30a -7:05 pm
UA 29 10:55 am - 8:15 pm (This flight is missing on a few days from the scheduled)

Better arrivals times for US based passengers, as noted, the connection times are not so hot. The SQ flight really can't get much in the way of connections, but the UA flight (if you are willing to go with a tight connection and a very early (e.g. 6-7 am departure) has a lot of connectivity. And for UA, the connection feed is on an am flight, which has less demand from domestic business travel

SQ 8:10 p - 5:40 am (3x week, W, F, Su)
UA 1 10:40 pm - 8 am (winter block time)

These flights have better departure times for those based in the US, and have unlimited connectivity. The downside is the feeder flights are in high demand late afternoon/evening slots. The arrivals times work better for SQ based travelers who can just go home.

SIN-SFO
SQ 9:20a - 7:50 a
UA 10a - 8:35 a

Very little connectivity on the SIN end. For UA is less of a problem, but I really don't see why SQ does not leave later, perhaps even an hour or two later would not impact feeder traffic ex-SIN, and SQ would just leave SFO later on the return.

SQ 3:20p - 1:50 p (Su, W, F)
UA 10:20 p - 8:55 p (again missing on scattered days)

These are better flight times for SQ based traffic, and allow connections ex-SIN.

Looking at these times, they actually make sense to me, given the turn times. Yes, it would probably help connectivity to have the new flight leave more like noon, but UA has gate issues ex-SFO and an earlier slot may work better. And on the other end, it would push the SIN arrival very late.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Looks like some typos in the SFO-SIN info ?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.