Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Prim8Pal
Does anyone know if these fares will be extended past July 29? With so much competition now for the SFO-SIN route, is it possible fares might even go down after July 29?
Sadly, I'd think then UA would more quickly move up the termination date if they think it would save them money.

David
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Prim8Pal
Does anyone know if these fares will be extended past July 29? With so much competition now for the SFO-SIN route, is it possible fares might even go down after July 29?
That's anyone's guess. I plan to purchase by tomorrow.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
You have pegged why United doesn't offer more with Singapore. United wants you to book onward Asia traffic on ANA, because United and ANA have a joint venture which allows United to get money for you flying on ANA. No such arrangement with Singapore.
Thanks, I did not know they had a JV with ANA and I suppose the financial arrangements are not disclosed. Sorry for a naieve question, wouldn't United want JVs with all star alliance partners? Right now they lose out when Singapore, for instance, flies me from Singapore on to Kuala Lumpur, India, the Middle East. United doesn't receive any money for those flights even though they flew me to Singapore. I would happily buy that ticket on United. It seems to me that both United and Singapore would want this to happen. I gues Singapore is betting that they dominate those markets so don't need the extra revenue?

Originally Posted by sbm12
How so? They compete for many of the same passengers and do not have an agreement that allows for the sharing of costs or revenues.
I would think that Singapore would want the United fliers transferring on to their flights for further connections in SE Asia, India and the Middle East. They obviously compete for the Singapore to US market but I would think their are benefits for both to offer connecting service in the US, for Singapore Air, and SE Asia, for United.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2018 at 12:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dan Weber
...wouldn't United want JVs with all star alliance partners? ....
JVs require approval by regulatory bodies for the various countries, due to competitive, anti-trust and other legal issues. Significantly amount of effort and increased oversight.

And while being Star Alliance "partners", the individual airlines have significant competitive issues and may not want to take the "marketing" arrangement into a "financial" arrangement. Some partners may feel it is better for them to be financially separate.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dan Weber
I would think that Singapore would want the United fliers transferring on to their flights for further connections in SE Asia, India and the Middle East. They obviously compete for the Singapore to US market but I would think their are benefits for both to offer connecting service in the US, for Singapore Air, and SE Asia, for United.
Yes but there are complicating factors. The JV with NH has been mentioned, as well as the fact that SQ and UA are direct competitors across the Pacific. Additionally, SQ has had issues in the past with the quality of UA's domestic service (passenger complaints) and has for the past few years looked to other US carriers (VX, and now AS) for its US connecting traffic. The bottom line is that they don't have a meaningful codeshare relationship, despite some obvious potential synergies.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
You have pegged why United doesn't offer more with Singapore. United wants you to book onward Asia traffic on ANA, because United and ANA have a joint venture which allows United to get money for you flying on ANA. No such arrangement with Singapore.
yes... and no.

Obviously, the JV gets UA revenue for the whole trip. But UA is happy to book you OAL when it makes sense, even on non-*. For example, there are plenty of destinations in S. Asia where they will sell you a UA TPAC to say, HKG and connect you on CX. In fact, I can tell you for sure I’ve seen this personally for flights to from CGK, DPS and BKK. I ended up booking to CGK connecting to ANA because it made the most sense, but I beleive the flights with the CX connection were the same price. Leaving from BKK, I actually booked a CX-UA connection at HKG, because the ANA connection was I think $300 plus more expensive per person, and to me, traveling with 3 at the time, another $1000 for the trip made no sense. But they do it with CX, there is no reason why they can’t do it with SQ. Because SIN involved a stop until recently, it probably didn’t make much sense, but now, with SiN being non-stop, it should. In fact, some of those destinations would probably be better via SIN then HKG, especially given the relationship with * - thinking places like Indonesia, KUL, BKK, etc.

So it’s not that they can’t do it, it’s that for whatever reason they aren’t partnering with SQ on these kinds of flights. Maybe SQ doesn’t want to because they think they can get more people to take their metal TPAC also and earn more $ that way. Maybe UA doesn’t want extra connecting traffic to places that might not make as many $ as people going to just SIN. From a passenger perspective, it could make a lot of sense for west coast travelers to be able to connect in SIN to other parts of S. Asia, India, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Obviously, the JV gets UA revenue for the whole trip. But UA is happy to book you OAL when it makes sense, even on non-*. For example, there are plenty of destinations in S. Asia where they will sell you a UA TPAC to say, HKG and connect you on CX. ...
So it’s not that they can’t do it, it’s that for whatever reason they aren’t partnering with SQ on these kinds of flights. Maybe SQ doesn’t want to because they think they can get more people to take their metal TPAC also and earn more $ that way.
I imagine it's as simple as UA not liking the price that SQ wanted for the seats.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Second SFO-SIN schedule

I got an email a bit ago about a new morning (from SFO) / evening (from SIN) flight, but searching on the site I couldn’t find it.

When is it scheduled to start? I am excited about the evening departure from SIN. I prefer the United 787 to the SIA evening flight via Hong Kong, but sometimes it’d be great to leave Friday night rather than early Saturday morning.
WannabeSE likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Likewise! I'm looking at a trip in early October I want to know if I should hold off on purchasing yet or not.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the email that shows this. Think we can hold them to it???
(And yeah, no indication of when the additional flight begins...they've got idiots in their marketing department apparently).
Attached Images  
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Starts at the end of October. It's been on the schedule pretty much since it was announced. October 28, IIRC.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:52 pm

Wait...what dates have a $680 round-trip J flight available?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Starts at the end of October. It's been on the schedule pretty much since it was announced. October 28, IIRC.
Right. No mystery. The new flights have been on sale for over a month.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
The footnote on the site is phrased "slightly" differently romthe email
*Prices have been available for round trips within the last 48 hours and may not be currently available. Fares listed may be Basic Economy, which is our most restrictive fare option and subject to additional restrictions. Additional baggage charges and fees for other optional service may apply. Other terms and conditions may apply.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
None.

On random Oct 31- -Nov 13 UAL.com shows

Flight search results

• Flight option 1

Departing
    Wed, Oct 31
    11:55 am San Francisco, CA, US (SFO)Arriving
    Thu, Nov 1
    8:15 pm Singapore, SG (SIN)Number of stops
    Nonstop
    17h 20m
    Roundtrip
    $680

Flight option 2 shows the same price in COACH.
Fat finger, but unlike the HX fare (thank you for honoring it ^ ) applied to promo, sadly not to $4K Biz fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.