Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Perhaps I will also wait to see the new schedule before making any requests. Will be curious to see if they load with open R as per usual.
Wow, this is really fast for UA. I was thinking that people would still be able to grab R space on the LAX flights before they disappear, but I can confirm that they're missing from the schedule already.

The new flights are:

UA29 SFO-SIN; winter schedule dep. 10:55 arr. 20:15+1; summer schedule dep. 10:45 arr. 18:50+1
UA28 SIN-SFO; winter schedule dep. 22:20 arr. 20:55; summer schedule dep. 21:05 arr. 20:55

Inventory has not been opened across the board. It looks pretty normal, sadly.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by fumje
I did have confirmed upgrades. But now 37 & 38 fell off entirely. I think I shall wait until the system settles before calling. Fortunately in a fit of paranoia—or prescience—I have a copy of the reservation showing confirmed on both.
wow... they didnt even wait until friday overnight. My SIN-LAX has also fallen off the reservation.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:52 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
I had been hoping that either of the cities, SFO or LAX, would change to a morning departure from California. Which in turn would provide an evening departure from Singapore. Sad to see LAX is losing out on the frequency but still nice to have both morning and evening departures. Now eager to find out how soon Singapore Airlines will commence LAX flights.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Isn't SQ starting non stop LAX-SIN flights? SQ statement : "We think LA is a good market and our customer continue to tell us that they would like us to have direct flight to Los Angeles, just like they have been telling us they would love to have New York direct as well, so we will continue to do that."
That's the rumor. Will blow UA service out of the water of course. But it has to happen first.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Isn't SQ starting non stop LAX-SIN flights? SQ statement : "We think LA is a good market and our customer continue to tell us that they would like us to have direct flight to Los Angeles, just like they have been telling us they would love to have New York direct as well, so we will continue to do that."
IMO, completely different set based on SQ connections beyond SIN, like India, Indonesia and other SE Asia destinations, etc. UA doesn’t codeshare or really sell other SQ flights at all to go beyond SIN. UA can do the US side connections, but doesn’t meaningfully offer any connections from LAX where it can’t route folks through SFO.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by emcampbe

IMO, completely different set based on SQ connections beyond SIN, like India, Indonesia and other SE Asia destinations, etc. UA doesn’t codeshare or really sell other SQ flights at all to go beyond SIN. UA can do the US side connections, but doesn’t meaningfully offer any connections from LAX where it can’t route folks through SFO.
Yup. UA will now feed both flights from SFO rather than trying to fill LAX-SIN on O/D traffic. SQ can feed the LAX route on the Asia side. This move makes a ton of sense from UA's side in trying to keep these ULH routes profitable. Running them with seats blocked in the back makes the revenue up front all that much more critical. Connections help immensely.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Wow, this is really fast for UA. I was thinking that people would still be able to grab R space on the LAX flights before they disappear, but I can confirm that they're missing from the schedule already.

The new flights are:

UA29 SFO-SIN; winter schedule dep. 10:55 arr. 20:15+1; summer schedule dep. 10:45 arr. 18:50+1
UA28 SIN-SFO; winter schedule dep. 22:20 arr. 20:55; summer schedule dep. 21:05 arr. 20:55

Inventory has not been opened across the board. It looks pretty normal, sadly.
Fast indeed! Less than an hour from 38/39 disappearing to 29/28 appearing. Interesting that the ex-US number is higher than the return. [ed. not that interesting actually, I guess. Seems more common than I thought it was]

Originally Posted by rankourabu
wow... they didnt even wait until friday overnight. My SIN-LAX has also fallen off the reservation.
When I first looked 37 was still there on mine in a strange state, and 38 was looking normal even though it didn't exist either. Then a couple minutes later they were gone!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Having flown 38 a few weeks ago (paid Biz class) this is disappointing news. Losing any transpac or Asia/Pacific pair is never good news.

The added SFO morning arriving SIN evening is excellent news. That makes up for the loss of the tags we lost via NRT/HKG to SIN for west coast based folks. My friends in ORD and parts East still have subpar options.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by uastarflyer; Jun 29, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I will say that when I flew LAX-SIN, it seemed quite packed. The fact that UA is dropping it on a Friday afternoon feels like what is called a ‘news dump’, though...it certainly feels like a move they are being forced to make (because of subpar revenue numbers) as opposed to seeing high demand out of SFO.

So that now makes only 2 late-night departures out of LAX...that Polaris lounge is going to be tiny...or filled with a bunch of folks flying LAX-SFO to connect to an international flight
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
With so much capacity to SIN out of SFO, maybe SQ should bring its premium config to SFO, put the normal one LAX-SIN and maybe bring the A380 back to NRT-LAX? SQ still operates SFO-HKG too, so I wonder if this move may affect that route at all.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Schedule already loaded into GDS
Code:
UA 029  D    SFO I SIN 2  1155    2015+1 0 27OCT18 03NOV18 789 17:20
UA 029  D    SFO I SIN 2  1055    2015+1 0 04NOV18 09MAR19 789 17:20
UA 028  X7   SIN 2 SFO    2220    2155   0 29OCT18 03NOV18 789 14:35
UA 028  7    SIN 2 SFO    2230    2105   0 04NOV18 03MAR19 789 14:35
UA 028  X7   SIN 2 SFO    2220    2055   0 05NOV18 09MAR19 789 14:35       
UA 028  7    SIN 2 SFO    2230    2105   0 04NOV18 03MAR19 789 14:35
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I will say that when I flew LAX-SIN, it seemed quite packed. The fact that UA is dropping it on a Friday afternoon feels like what is called a ‘news dump’, though...it certainly feels like a move they are being forced to make (because of subpar revenue numbers) as opposed to seeing high demand out of SFO.
I've flown UA37/38 three times this year, and I have always had a whole row to myself in Premium Economy.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by BeEasyMark
I've flown UA37/38 three times this year, and I have always had a whole row to myself in Premium Economy.
I didn’t know UA had P+ on 789s

That said, it is a fair point - and I do recall seeing a lot of cheap fares to/from SIN showing up earlier this year / late last year. I think my point still stands - that UA has weakened their position so much ex-LAX that they can’t even sustain what should be a profitable route. I specifically chose routing through LAX on my trip from EWR because I didn’t want to deal with potential weather issues in SFO.

Either way, it can’t bode well that their most recent international route launch from LAX lasted all of a year. Makes me doubt that something like LAX-BKK is even in the works at this point...
ContinentalFan and GDL like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BeEasyMark
I've only flown it once, but that's what the seatmap looked like. My friend OTOH, ex SFO didn't clear his Ca$h and Miles u/g as Plat and did not have an empty seat next to him in E+ Don't recall if he cleared on the way to SIN - ya, maybe he did.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Glad I'm taking this flight in August/September.

I'm still holding my breath for LAX-BKK. No competition!
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.