Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Reply

Old Nov 1, 18, 1:13 pm
  #331  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Posts: 3,841
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
DL is dropping SIN flights, so SQ now steps into that void.
DL has not announced ending NRT-SIN -- yet; however, with potentially 3 of DLs U.S.-TYO flights shifting from NRT to HND in the near future, SQs move just might accelerate DLs full exit from SIN. For now, however, there will be a net increase in capacity in the U.S.- Singapore market, and every transpac carrier will be affected to one extent or another.
sinoflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 18, 1:37 pm
  #332  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 40,413
Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
DL has not announced ending NRT-SIN -- yet; however, with potentially 3 of DLs U.S.-TYO flights shifting from NRT to HND in the near future, SQs move just might accelerate DLs full exit from SIN. For now, however, there will be a net increase in capacity in the U.S.- Singapore market, and every transpac carrier will be affected to one extent or another.
You're right I was thinking of HKG. Doh!
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 18, 4:57 pm
  #333  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DCA/IAD/MIA/FLL/PBI
Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Posts: 10,346
As a frequent SQ PPS flyer, I am happy to see SQ is expanding its US network, but I am disappointed with it is cutting back on its onboard offerings.

I just completed five SQ flights in J and have noticed cut back on number of meals, portion and quality of meals. Perhaps I noticed it more because I have flown them for fhe past 8 years as gained PPS status during this period.

However, with that being said, I am still impressed with its hardware, IFE and services. It is still a great airlines to fly and I will continue to fly them.

I do sense that the M3 competition carrying traffic between Asia/Australia and EU, and Asia and also the Chinese airlines offering cheap fares in the region have hurt SQs margin. Its financial results have been disappointing if it does
not factoring its airlines leasing and maintainence businesses. Much like CX, US is a market that it hopes to gain growth.

I must say the A350 is a great plane to fly (not sure about the comfort of the SQ J seat, though), hope UA will take delivery of the planes instead keep deferring.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 19, 7:52 pm
  #334  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 515
17 hours nonstop: day vs night

I was wondering why anyone would voluntarily embark on SFO-SIN 10:45PM? Its not like the daily darkness of a Scandinavian winter which offers all kinds of pleasant stuff to pass the time such as drinking aquavit or glgg, the joy of ice fishing, sweating in a steamy sauna or lighting candles and bingewatching Beck.
vanillabean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 19, 8:08 pm
  #335  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Posts: 569
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
I was wondering why anyone would voluntarily embark on SFO-SIN 10:45PM?
I'm guessing it most has to do with connections from the East being difficult/ impossible to the morning SFO-SIN flight. That plus being able to work a full day before catching the night flight.
bluedemon211 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 19, 8:35 pm
  #336  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 40,413
Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
I'm guessing it most has to do with connections from the East being difficult/ impossible to the morning SFO-SIN flight. That plus being able to work a full day before catching the night flight.
I much prefer the late night departure to SE Asia. It's just more efficient with an early morning arrival and doesn't impact my internal clock so drastically. In fact, I've been avoiding UA TPACs in favor of the Asian carriers in part b/c I don't like UA's daytime departures.
United747 likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 19, 8:42 pm
  #337  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: United LT 1K, United LT Club, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hertz President’s Circle
Posts: 191
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
I do think DL's failure to go SEA-SIN is probably a strategic mistake. I have not been impressed with how they have responded to changes in the pacific markets.
Why so much focus on SIN? It's a tiny market, with a well-run flag carrier that's focused on connecting the large population masses of South Asia to the rest of the world. As those South Asia markets add non-stop service (Vietnam, Thailand, India, Indonesia, etc...), there is less and less need to connect through SIN. Didn't Delta just add service from JFK to India? Last time I checked, 100 million people live within one tank of gas from JFK. I think Delta's Asia strategy is sound.
moondog likes this.
spartacusmcfly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 19, 10:36 pm
  #338  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: TPE, SF, DC
Programs: UA 1k 3mm
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
I was wondering why anyone would voluntarily embark on SFO-SIN 10:45PM? It’s not like the daily darkness of a Scandinavian winter which offers all kinds of pleasant stuff to pass the time such as drinking aquavit or glgg, the joy of ice fishing, sweating in a steamy sauna or lighting candles and bingewatching Beck.
Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
I'm guessing it most has to do with connections from the East being difficult/ impossible to the morning SFO-SIN flight. That plus being able to work a full day before catching the night flight.
Yes, full day work in west coast before embarking red eye flight maximizes time.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I much prefer the late night departure to SE Asia. It's just more efficient with an early morning arrival and doesn't impact my internal clock so drastically. In fact, I've been avoiding UA TPACs in favor of the Asian carriers in part b/c I don't like UA's daytime departures.
UA29 daytime sfo-sin benefit is generally much more upgrade seats for GPU vs. UA1 nighttime flight

npei is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 19, 10:40 pm
  #339  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 40,413
Originally Posted by npei View Post
Full day work in west coast before embarking red eye flight maximizes time.
While daytime departure wastes two full work days.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 19, 10:55 pm
  #340  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: DEN
Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly View Post
Why so much focus on SIN? It's a tiny market, with a well-run flag carrier that's focused on connecting the large population masses of South Asia to the rest of the world. As those South Asia markets add non-stop service (Vietnam, Thailand, India, Indonesia, etc...), there is less and less need to connect through SIN. Didn't Delta just add service from JFK to India? Last time I checked, 100 million people live within one tank of gas from JFK. I think Delta's Asia strategy is sound.
The amount of USA traffic to SIN justifies it. I think it is primarily going to Singapore, not some hub for the rest of south east Asia. Every flight I have been on is covered in 1K/GS folks working regional business from SIN. I've finally come to appreciate what an outpost it is in the region. Pro-business laws, western friendly culture and easy reach to many markets. And just a great place, in my opinion - even looking past a little bit of a feeling of Panem compared to the world around it.
katan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 19, 2:03 am
  #341  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Programs: UA 1k
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
I was wondering why anyone would voluntarily embark on SFO-SIN 10:45PM? It’s not like the daily darkness of a Scandinavian winter which offers all kinds of pleasant stuff to pass the time such as drinking aquavit or glgg, the joy of ice fishing, sweating in a steamy sauna or lighting candles and bingewatching Beck.
If you sit in front you basically get 17 hours to find a nights sleep and then arrive for a days work. Sitting in the back I’d prefer the Tokyo layover variants (or SQ PE), both with day time departures.

That being said, for me it took a few trips to get used to it. The first time I definitely felt like I’d been on the plane for long enough a little after passing Japan.

The return evening flight gives a days work plus sleeping at home the “same” evening.

I haven’t done that yet, since they started that departure price and other schedules have worked out for the morning flight (or the 6am ANA via NRT) or the SQ flight via Hong Kong (which I don’t care much for, no time for dinner in Singapore after work and by the time you are on the HKG-SFO flight it’s been a really long day).
polarbears is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 19, 7:30 am
  #342  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,625
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
While daytime departure wastes two full work days.
So are you saying the daytime flights are a better bet in avoiding OPM traffic, and thus better chance of GPU clearance?

I prefer the night flight too, it allows many options for leaving from the east coast after work (3-7pm), and arriving in SIN in the morning, allowing for an extra day of vacation, or easier connections to vacation spots in the region.
Kacee likes this.
rankourabu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 19, 7:59 am
  #343  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 40,413
Originally Posted by polarbears View Post
The return evening flight gives a days work plus sleeping at home the same evening.
Except you've probably just slept 6+ hours on the flight. I find the morning Asia departure is easier to recover from.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 19, 9:27 am
  #344  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: IAH
Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
So are you saying the daytime flights are a better bet in avoiding OPM traffic, and thus better chance of GPU clearance?
The daytime flight is definitely more empty from what I've seen.

My wife just flew an early flight out of IAH to catch the daytime flight SFO->SIN this past week, and it was practically empty, allowing her to score poor man's business class in E+.
brp1264 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 19, 9:55 am
  #345  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 515
Originally Posted by brp1264 View Post
The daytime flight is definitely more empty from what I've seen.

My wife just flew an early flight out of IAH to catch the daytime flight SFO->SIN this past week, and it was practically empty, allowing her to score poor man's business class in E+.
All flights, daytime and nighttime, look fairly full to me the next some days. The Sunday daytime flight is not available, sold out?
vanillabean is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread