When the only option is Basic Economy

Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Ah yes, my meaning was that I was not sure which was the mistake, the rbd of N or the use of non-BE rules for a BE price. Or is there a clear indication of which is the mistake? I suppose we can speculate about likelihood of one vs. the other.
The rbd of N is the mistake here. UA has been routinely matching BE and non-BE fares when they're not actively looking to sell BE. The intent is to sell the non-BE version of the fare, but to provide something that's combinable for someone who's booking a BE ticket in the other direction.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
The rbd of N is the mistake here. UA has been routinely matching BE and non-BE fares when they're not actively looking to sell BE. The intent is to sell the non-BE version of the fare, but to provide something that's combinable for someone who's booking a BE ticket in the other direction.
I see, thanks — had not known they were doing that.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The -ER/-EX fare are an interesting piece of work. There are now actually four "classes" of fares, based on the letter in seventh position, with an additional caveat for -ER/-EX.

'B' fares are Basic Economy. They may only be combined with other B fares.
'D' fares are Deep Discount Economy, and always have a matching Basic Economy fare filed equal to the D fare tariff minus the fare differential (sometimes with a 0-day AP). They may be combined with other D fares, E fares, and F fares.
'E' fares are Discount and Regular Economy, and are those fares which are too expensive to have a Basic Economy differential fare. They may also be combined with fares of type D/E/F, except:
-ER/-EX fares are a special type in class E. They are always round-trip fares filed at the same price as a (usually one-way) B fare, and may only be combined with "regular" E fares, or F fares. In effect, you can get BE-for-the-price-of-Y, but only if in combination with a "sufficiently expensive" outbound.
'F' fares are First Class. They can be combined with D/E/F fares.

Here, an -ER fare was mis-filed with an rbd of N instead of K.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I think notifying DOT is the right approach and commend the OP for exercising his civic responsibility. United is offering a BE fare without labeling it as such. As a result, it’s deceptive advertising. Only a frequent United flyer would know that N fares are always BE fares.
ContinentalFan and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
United is offering a BE fare without labeling it as such. As a result, it’s deceptive advertising.
There was nothing deceptive in that image. There's no evidence -- yet -- that a passenger who bought that fare would have had any of the restrictions of BE. The lack of PQMs are called out there -- it's tough to call it deceptive -- and we don't have any idea about upgrades or changes because the OP didn't book it.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
There was nothing deceptive in that image. There's no evidence -- yet -- that a passenger who bought that fare would have had any of the restrictions of BE. The lack of PQMs are called out there -- it's tough to call it deceptive -- and we don't have any idea about upgrades or changes because the OP didn't book it.
The OP did book - and got the usual BE screen that listed the many restrictions of that fare type. Was not able to select seats, no upgrade possibility, and an orange banner above the return flight (but not the outbound).
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
If it's within 24 hours, you can cancel and get a full refund. Try booking it on the app. Set your search preferences to filter out the BE fares, and see if it books properly at the same fare.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SS255
If it's within 24 hours, you can cancel and get a full refund. Try booking it on the app. Set your search preferences to filter out the BE fares, and see if it books properly at the same fare.
Did it. Same thing happens.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AviationFreak
The OP did book - and got the usual BE screen that listed the many restrictions of that fare type. Was not able to select seats, no upgrade possibility, and an orange banner above the return flight (but not the outbound).
My mistake -- that wasn't clear from your screenshots.

Seat selection rules aren't covered by any specific DOT regulation, but I think I'd learn more towards the complaint in that instance. It does seem like bait and switch given that you explicitly tried to avoid BE.

Originally Posted by SS255
It won't, because it's not a BE fare. The problem is, UA has misfiled its regular economy fare.

What would work would be to do a search for L,S,T,W class or something, to find the next cheapest fare bucket.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sole question is whether the fare rules for the ticket disclose the limitations. Beyond that, a DOT complaint is a waste of taxpayer money and simply feeds the growing narrative at DOT that most consumer complaints are simply dissatisfied customers who did not read the fare rules before checking the box certifying that they had.

Whether the practice is a good or a bad one won't matter.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The sole question is whether the fare rules for the ticket disclose the limitations.
The fare rules clearly don't disclose any changeability limitations, because it's not a BE fare. So, if UA then denied a change that the OP tried to make based upon the rbd being N, it's definitely complaint-worthy.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:39 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Can you clarify, did the restrictions come up AFTER purchase or before? If they came up after purchase, and were enforced as such while boarding, then if UA doesn’t resolve, a legit issue has occurred. If despite what you searched for, the services that were given were what you purchased, I don’t see this as a complaint, except as informational to UA. The contract becomes binding at purchase
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes, restrictions only became clear after purchase.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It's times like this that I really wish UA would allow me to contact specific departments directly. If they had public access to their issue tracking system, issues like this could be fixed in hours. But trying to explain it to their first line support just isn't worth my time.
Or maybe a UA Insider...

UA should pay the OP a bug bounty.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's times like this that I really wish UA would allow me to contact specific departments directly. If they had public access to their issue tracking system, issues like this could be fixed in hours. But trying to explain it to their first line support just isn't worth my time.
+1. If by some horrible turn of events I were stuck with this fare, I think I would try to bark up the food chain until I got someone to force-revalidate the segment in K, which should clear up the BE issues with the computer. But it's frustrating you can't just get put through to RM to report a bug

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.