Wiki Posts
Search

August 2018 Mile Play promo -

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
I got something similar

Originally Posted by Polytonic
I have: Complete 2 activities to earn up to 11,900 bonus award miles.
  • Book and take a trip* (min spend $350, I assume that's base fare?)
  • Purchase and fly in Economy Plus

Seems kinda ... meh. Though I wish it applied to previously booked fares.
I got something similar - in this case - would I be ok to just book 1 trip over lets say $350 in economy plus and hit both milestones?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by naroowal
I got something similar - in this case - would I be ok to just book 1 trip over lets say $350 in economy plus and hit both milestones?
If I understand the rules correctly, your base fare (i.e. price before taxes and fees) must exceed the minimum spend requirement (i.e. in my case, $350).

Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by naroowal
Yes, as long as the BASE (not total) fare is over $350, and it's in Economy Plus, I would imagine that it would satisfy the requirements for both milestones.

Originally Posted by Polytonic
If I understand the rules correctly, your base fare (i.e. price before taxes and fees) must exceed the minimum spend requirement (i.e. in my case, $350).

Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, you're correct..the base fare is what they use for the spend requirement.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
Thx again for your help.

I did book CLE-IAH $885 base fare (needed $850) about $95 add-on taxes, airport fees etc. You were right there were no same day turnarounds less than your $1557 you found. So, staying a couple days in Houston catching up with friends. Don't need a car, don't need a hotel, so happy to kill a couple birds with one stone and get the miles.

This is the first offer where 1) I was eligible and 2) was a good deal for that many miles.

Appreciate you, again, for trying to help.

"Hip, Hip Hooray !!!!" was the notice on my banner on Home Page of the App.

Challenge completed and miles posted within 24 hours of the RT.
Air Houston and mpiotrow like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
2 trips @ $125 for 3,600 miles.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:10 pm

1 trip, $225, 9000miles
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
My friend got $200, 6800 miles. He's an occasional flyer who might achieve Silver.
I of course have not gotten any offer in this or previous promotions.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
A friend of mine just messaged me and got the following offer:
  • Book and take a trip (minimum $175) 1 time by August 12, 2018 to earn Premier Silver status
This is the first I've heard of anyone being offered status through the Mile Play! Anyone else ever seen it?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Mine is 1 trip for $500 by Aug 12 earns 19,000 points. Just got back from a $1k trip to Australia on Friday. Flight posted today. Hopefully, the promotion will post quickly, so far nothing on the promo status.

19,000 points will compensate for the ridiculously small earnings (8037 award miles) for this very long flight.....
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
$1.83 Short of Earning 15,000 Award Miles

Wondering if I'll find any sympathy here....

On June 28, 2018, I registered for the MilePlay Promotion: Book and take two trips with a purchased fare of at least $250, by August 12, 2018, and earn 15,000 Award Miles.

I booked the following:

Trip 1
  • SFO-LAX-ORD (specifically flew SFO-LAX-ORD because of the $250 fare)
  • Date booked: July 18, 2018
  • Date of travel: July 28, 2018
  • Total PQD: $250
Trip 2
  • ORD-GRR-ORD-SFO
  • Date booked: July 18, 2018
  • Date of travel: July 31, 2018 and August 1, 2018
  • Total PQD: $361
The travel came and went, and only one of the two trips posted to the MilePlay site. Because the travel was so close together, I wasn't sure which trip actually posted. I waited a few days past the 8/12/18 deadline and finally emailed MileagePlus and 1KVoice to ask them why I didn't get credit. They replied and told me that the Trip 1 fare was only $248.17, so it didn't meet the $250 minimum. I replied and persisted - asking them why they credited my account with $250 PQD, and why they advertised the $250 fare when I was searching for flights. I certainly would have booked a slightly more expensive fare if I had known that the $250 was actually $248.17. The initial response I got was that they rounded the PQD up....so presumably the SFO-LAX fare was $40.07 (rounded up to $41) and the LAX-ORD fare was $208.10 (rounded up to $209).

At any rate, my original email to them was on 8/9/18; on 8/11 and again on 8/15, I received emails from a "MileagePlus Lead Representative" notifying me that they were still escalating the issue up, and that they hoped to have an answer soon. I have some confidence that they'll come back and award me the 15,000 miles....but I'm curious what FT thinks. Should I have known better than to assume a flight with $250 PQD actually was a fare of $248.xx?

- LE
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
... I certainly would have booked a slightly more expensive fare if I had known that the $250 was actually $248.17. The initial response I got was that they rounded the PQD up....so presumably the SFO-LAX fare was $40.07 (rounded up to $41) and the LAX-ORD fare was $208.10 (rounded up to $209).

.... Should I have known better than to assume a flight with $250 PQD actually was a fare of $248.xx?
The up rounding of PQD for each segment is very standard and I always see 1-2 more PQDs for a RT than the base fare purchase price.
An assumption appears have been made the goal was PQD based but that's not really what the T&Cs , they refer to the purchased fare (which does not include the rounding)
It was on FT that we shorthanded to PQDs, UA did not.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The up rounding of PQD for each segment is very standard and I always see 1-2 more PQDs for a RT than the base fare purchase price.
An assumption appears have been made the goal was PQD based but that's not really what the T&Cs , they refer to the purchased fare (which does not include the rounding)
It was on FT that we shorthanded to PQDs, UA did not.
I definitely recognized that the MilePlay requirements were based on the "fare" - which excludes taxes, fees, etc. I also recognize that the advertised PQD is one part of the total sum of the ticket...and that there are taxes, fees, etc...

Obviously the mistake that I made was to assume Fare and PQD are synonymous and equal. Fingers crossed for some leniency.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
How long is it taking for the bonus miles to post. I achieved my goal on 8/10 and still don't have the bonus. The flights have posted, but no bonus. When do I need to call?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
How long is it taking for the bonus miles to post. I achieved my goal on 8/10 and still don't have the bonus. The flights have posted, but no bonus. When do I need to call?
Assuming you met the criteria it should post within 48 hrs or so. Thats when mine did. Go and double check that you met the $ requirement, etc.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Got an email a few days ago with the subject "How do you like our promotions?"

It asked if I remembered signing up for this promo, and then asked "We noticed that you registered for the promotion but did not progress through it" and asking why, with possible answers including
My travel was already booked
The goals were hard to achieve
The promotion was not of value

It also asked about what I'd like to see as prizes from future promos, with options including things like status, UC access, free Wifi, PQD/PQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.